Can we downgrade unused programs?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Battlesh0rts

Can we downgrade unused programs?

Post by Battlesh0rts » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 pm

So we can delete nodes we don't want and lose the xp to be more competitive with those with similar networks.

However, it seems we cannot downgrade programs we don't want to lose the xp to be more competitive with those with similar networks.

As there are a few programs I never use like shocker and maniac that I upgraded a few times, I am at a disadvantage: I am at a higher level than those with the exact same network and same level of programs I use, so I can be attacked by even higher level players than them. Is this intended? It seems like it punishes us for upgrading programs to try them out, and encourages us to only upgrade programs we will 100% always use.

I'd like to hear what you all think. Thanks?

Luminaar

Re: Can we downgrade unused programs?

Post by Luminaar » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:01 am

If you've only upgraded Maniac and Shocker a few times, it's unlikely to be putting you at a massive disadvantage.

With 5 levels in each, both programs take up 6500 xp, which is roughly the amount of xp to get from level 29 to 30. The exact level difference will of course depend on the number of unwanted program levels and your network level. A single level doesn't change your targets that much IMO, but when you factor in that other players on average will also be spending xp on unwanted programs, the overall difference is potentially pretty negligible.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

TheLurkingRage

Post by TheLurkingRage » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:52 am

I still don't understand why we can now get XP refunded from nodes but not programs. Could add a devolver mode to the evolver and let us devolve our programs to get that XP down.
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:55 am

Scrapping a program completely would cause playability issues. The most obvious one is maintaining the integrity of the tech tree, although "downgrading to level 1" would be the clear workaround there. That causes other problems though, such as players choosing to "optimise" their XP and unintentionally dropping their main attack/defence program down to level 1, making it impossible for them to progress :P Program devolution 1 level at a time still has the potential for this! :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

TheLurkingRage

Post by TheLurkingRage » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:23 am

Luminaar wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:55 am
Program devolution 1 level at a time still has the potential for this! :)
Yeah that's what I suggested long ago and meant it that way here lol. For example, that way if you accidentally devolve your Beams to level 1 (would prefer if you could go down to 0 on all programs) all the way from 21, but forgot to upgrade Shurikens in the process, then you made a mistake 21 times and you've only got yourself to blame for that, not the game design XD

BESIDES you can't use the "can't progress no more" excuse when I've proven progression without any programs at all is possible and viable :P Even faster than Lazorix! LOL
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage