Multiple retraces not possible

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Vnasty

Multiple retraces not possible

Post by Vnasty » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:26 am

I was away for the holiday. I had my network set up to be baited by a specific someone.

Background I am lvl 35 and he is lvl 52

He took the bait, and hacked my base 11 times while I was away. He always has more resources than me. I log in and see my security log. I hacked him back with a retrace. I go back to my security log to absolutely destroy him. It only let me retrace him one time. WTF is this chit.

I don't remember this being a thing, I thought it was near unlimited. For every attempt or success if he is in my log, I should have a shot at his base. So he got me 11 times and I am only allowed one. I was successful. But the resources I would have received back from him would have been dam near insane. So you don't allow shields that I am all for. But if someone hacks you multiple times without stealth you can only hack them back one time? uhhh yea no.

Thank you for the great game, but you have received all the donations you will ever get from me. Enjoy the $200. I wont quit but you will never get another penny from me. This is for real, bullshit.

Vnasty

Re: Multiple retraces not possible

Post by Vnasty » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:41 am

Its probably always been this way but I have never tried this till now. It looks seriously flawed in the manner if you are hacked by someone multiple times you can only retrace them once. Think you should fix this. Have never been one to complain but do you see how insane this is? There is absolutely no retribution to being hacked multiple times. With or without shields if someone hits you a ton of times in your log you should get a retrace for every attempt. Going casual on this game since this one just makes me extra salty.

Trickster
Site Admin

Re: Trickster this isn't cool, was this an update?

Post by Trickster » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am

A) It is not that difficult to write a descriptive topic name, is it? Sth. like "Multiple retraces not possible" would work much better.

B) This is in the game from the very beginning. You can retrace a target once, until he hacks you back, then you can hack him again.

Haggr

Re: Trickster this isn't cool, was this an update?

Post by Haggr » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Yes, please post it properly because I also think it is seriously unfair. I am not going to b*tch about it though because I have not been the victim so far. I'll do when it occurs to me. :D

Vnasty

Post by Vnasty » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:21 pm

I did try to rename the topic but I already responded and it wouldn't let me. My mistake. Please rename it for me.

Concerning shields and multiple retraces. Is there a reason you cant retrace someone multiple times? Really gives the attacker such an edge. I baited him for that reason alone. He has massive resources for his level along with all the resources he stole from me. This is totally ok with me. But being able to retrace and attack him for every attempt would have devastated him. I would have came out on the top. It would have been a repercussion for hacking or messing with my network. Instead he gets a free pass. So I am totally against shields. I think you should be able to attack someone as many times as possible. But what is the reason to only retrace an attacker one time? I mean he hacked me 11 times. I should have 11 chances to attack him since none of them were stealth attacks. Instead I get to attack him back once... then that's it.

I see this as a horrible flaw in the system. I have been a huge donator and supporter of this game. But this one seems very un balanced. I seek answers or a proposed fix to this system. Considering no shields as a defender you have nothing. I do not advocate shields. But what is the point of retrace if you can only do it once. Even logically. You have a network security log. With multiple attempts. Each attempt should allow one retrace. Reasons?

Trickster
Site Admin

Post by Trickster » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Vnasty: It is once for several reasons.

The attacker had to find you (spent ingame money on search), you can do the same and this is fair.
If you attack him repeatedly as retrace for free, you could bully him by constantly attacking for more than hour one attack after another.

It is very special case when someone attacks you that many times and this happens only to players on higher levels. Where well it is a wild cyberspace.

Prochlub

Post by Prochlub » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Vnasty wrote:...
Also, if someones attacks you twice/three times a day, he steals something from you, over many days it is a significant amount of money, yes. But at that rate, it will never bury you to the ground so you cant do/compile anything etc. But if you were allowed to retrace every attack from the last week from him, he would be from 100% to 0% of resources in a few minutes, which would completely stopped him for a significant time - he couldnt compile, search for targets, nothing. I don't think you would like if you were on the other side and this happened to you at all, I sure wouldn't.
You can see it as an assurance, that you can pretty much always hack if you log in.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Barons

Post by Barons » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:00 am

I also think retrace should be for each attack. Imo thats the whole point. If some ass whole spends all night searching for you and attacking you over and over again I should be able to bide my time and wait until he is full of loot and return the favor over and over.

Why should I lose my ability to retrace just because someone went though the trouble of singling me out in order to steal my loot over and over again? Obliviously the guy who just got singled out and hacked repeatedly should be put at a disadvantage by having his ability to retrace removed.

Maybe this is something that doesnt happen that often and you have to be a total d bag and really piss someone off in order for them to go though the trouble of searching for you over and over. However i'm in favor or 1 retrace per hack.

3ly

Post by 3ly » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:57 am

I was able to retrace someone 2 times by logging in on 2 devices with the same Google account before (Not at the same time). But it doesn't work for me anymore.

Also it is possible to access the same network on 2 devices at the same time. The game doesn't refresh the retrace button while you are online so the attacker just might be able to retrace you 11 times on 11 devices. However, only one instance of attacker's network is saved so only the resources of one of his attacks will be saved. And all resources from 10 of the attacks on you are removed.
IGN: 3ly
Lvl: 23 C: 7

Merry Christmas!!
[~3ly]

Trickster
Site Admin

Post by Trickster » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:25 pm

I can not imagine how using more than one device can help you retrace more than once. Sometimes if you have a retrace and you have the same target on map you may get him twice. But I would be very-very-very :) surprised if using X devices would give you X retraces.