Filter Online Players and Alternative Solution

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Armitek

Cannot Attack

Post by Armitek » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:10 pm

I am so tired about this bug. Almost 15 minutes I was looking for victim and all of them were online and I wasted almost all my gold. This is very annoying please fix this issue so that if person is online do not show him on world map

Thank you

CerberusArc

Filter Online Players and Alternative Solution

Post by CerberusArc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:25 am

Okay, I know this general idea populates other threads, but it has become so important that I think it deserves a dedicated thread discussion. I dearly hope the devs are taking notice.

Obviously, a player cannot attack another player that is online. There is some good logic behind this. An online player expects to have their resources not suddenly vanish and it doesn't make sense to be attacking a base while it is being reconfigured.

However, this seemingly innocuous and necessary game mechanic has been turned into a combination of exploit and annoyance to the point that some newer players have actually called it a bug. While I know that it is not a bug, I do see it as something that was of SERIOUS oversight from the developers. Now don't get me wrong, most of the things I have suggested on this forum are simply improvements or additions that I think would make the game better. My previous ideas, while I think they are necessary for the game to thrive are not necessarily developer MISTAKES. This problem, however, I believe was serious development oversight that should not have been in the game release.

I very often return search results where 3 or 4 of the searched players are online. Sometimes they are online for only minutes and when I check back they are available to attack. However, most smart players do not log off with substantial resources if they can help it, so usually a player that just logged off is a poor target and gets recycled anyway.

There simply be an addition made to the search algorithm that automatically filters players that are online at the time the search button was pressed. Search results that turn up online players are slap in the face and a drain on resources. It COSTS to do a search, and when 90 percent of that search is actually not available as a target that is just plain dumb. For this reason, I consider this problem to be a development oversight. The algorithm should also not return the results of SHIELDED players. They are also not valid targets.

The problem is compounded by the fact that I often get the same permanently online or shielded player over and over again as I recycle, compounding the error and stupidity of it all.

I understand the devs are looking closely at the algorithm and how it functions in the real world now that the game is released. I argue however that something this obvious should have been placed in the algorithm to begin with. As the algorithm is tweaked next update (and it better be next update) this should be taken into account. There is very little I expect done about the already rampant problem of players being "permanently" online using some kind of third party software to keep the app forced open (I believe this should be a bannable offense btw).

To clarify, this would of course not cover a target that comes online after the search is initiated. That is just unavoidable and will happen, but filtering those online when the search is initiated is a different matter.

Alternative Solution:

Another possible, albeit unlikely, alternative I considered is to "freeze" the status of a player's account when a hack is initiated. This means that the base layout and resources are preserved for the duration of the hack even if the player is online and making changes. The changes would then come into effect at the end of the hack.

This seems relatively simple from a base layout perspective. I understand it would be much more complicated from a resource perspective. For example, what if the active player gains or spends resources during the hack? While this is a very narrow window of time in the grand scheme, it is of course possible. I would argue that the freeze state would isolate the resources for the hack, so even if they were spent, they would also be looted. This would in essence "copy" the resources temporarily meaning then the same resources could be both spent and looted at the same time. This would cause some redundancy in resources for sure, but I imagine the instances of this happening would be remote enough that it would be rare and not disturbing to the game overall. After the hack, the player that lost resources would have their resource amounts reduced as if they had lost the corresponding resources, possibly bringing their resource values to zero, but not negative, of course.

With this solution or similar, the need to remove "online" players from the game would be effectively unnecessary and the "online exploit" that is actually risking the ruin of the game right now, would be summarily dealt with.

Thoughts?

Trickster
Site Admin

Re: Filter Online Players and Alternative Solution

Post by Trickster » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:29 am

1. Players with 9sec shield are filtered out after the new server update. (If not, please report)
  2. Players online for more than 3 hours can be attacked even though they are online (the game will disconnect them)
  3. We hear voices saying "online players should not appear in search", but for now we do not have a solution. If we remove these active accounts from search it would favour these all-the-time-online players. If they are online constantly and nobody can search them, there is no way they can be searched and hacked.
  4. Suggested solution with being able to hack even online players whenever other hacker decides to is not optimal user experience and would require complete rework of the game's internal structure.
  5. I am not saying that the search will remain as is, we just need to find a functional solution.

Ujnex

Post by Ujnex » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:24 am

Trickster wrote:
  1. Players with 9sec shield are filtered out after the new server update. (If not, please report)
  2. Players online for more than 3 hours can be attacked even though they are online (the game will disconnect them)
  3. We hear voices saying "online players should not appear in search", but for now we do not have a solution. If we remove these active accounts from search it would favour these all-the-time-online players. If they are online constantly and nobody can search them, there is no way they can be searched and hacked.
  4. Suggested solution with being able to hack even online players whenever other hacker decides to is not optimal user experience and would require complete rework of the game's internal structure.
  5. I am not saying that the search will remain as is, we just need to find a functional solution.
The 3 hour limit is quite long and poses no threat, you could set a timer 10 minutes prior and reset it or like me, my tablet dc'd and I just instant connected back.

Freezing solution is a no go as people would copy exploit it. I know I would since it would be the new meta.

Online players not getting searched makes them have an advantage? They can't be hacked anyway and when they dc they will show up.

Again three hour limit poses no threat.
Even agaisnt me I'd say a 5 minute timer on an inactive account that is afk is quite sufficient. 15 minutes is more than enough.

Armitek

Post by Armitek » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:34 am

Main problem is that - Not to show on world map users that cannot be attacked like shielded users.

Here is solution that will fix this problem:
If Player is online for less than 3 hours and he cannot be attacked do not show this player on world map

Ujnex

Post by Ujnex » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am

Armitek wrote:Main problem is that - Not to show on world map users that cannot be attacked like shielded users.

Here is solution that will fix this problem:
If Player is online for less than 3 hours and he cannot be attacked do not show this player on world map
That is an even worst solution since 1 log in would protect you for three hours

Trickster
Site Admin

Post by Trickster » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:47 am

Ujnex wrote:you could set a timer 10 minutes prior and reset it or like me
This does not work (you might think that it works because nobody happen to attack you, but it does not work like that).

Jaystar

Post by Jaystar » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:30 am

To be honest, I'm not abusing the game but I have a free iPad lying around so I use it all the time when I'm awake.
I leave my iPad on without locking its screen forever, therefore I can easily stay online whenever I'm awake. 3 hours is a luxury, because usually I wait for my program to finish compiler in less than 30 mins and then I can become "active" again. This is just too easy for me, there's no challenge, no disturbances.

I think to make it fair and make the system less exploitable, the game needs to check every 15 mins or 30 mins rather than 3 hours. 3 hours is just too generous....
IGN: Emperor.Jaystar
[C12] [LV60]
Current Occupation: Terminated Account

Armitek

Post by Armitek » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:46 am

Question to developers:
What is the point of showing someone on world map if this user can not be attacked ?

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Armitek wrote:Question to developers:
What is the point of showing someone on world map if this user can not be attacked ?
The player may actually be able to be attacked. If you're the one breaking someone's 3-hour log on timer, the rewards can be immense!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.