Are Blasters worth it?

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Danic

Are Blasters worth it?

Postby Danic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Having watched countless attacks on my network, and seen individuals persist with Blasters, are they really worth it?

Theybdont seem to inflict too much damage to nodes and they seem to take a really long time to fire. Admittedly, I haven't seen a blaster past level 9, so maybe they haven't been upgraded enough?

Does anyone have any thoughts? I know plenty of people still use them.....

Hell_Diguner

Re: Are Blasters worth it?

Postby Hell_Diguner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:51 am

Blasters or Kraken are the only reasonable ways to get through a well upgraded, Triple Guardian Core quickly. They can tear through all but the highest level Code Gates just fine, and they compile faster than Rams. Plus you can use them for extra DPS, stunning, and preventing the regeneration of firewall in difficult choke points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he_bw4TM5XE
Hell_Diguner - C12L39, Had C12L29 (world record), Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C12L38, Worms+Maniac main
CaptainDavyJones - C12L39, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main

Alfatrion

Postby Alfatrion » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 am

In places where my protector has trouble, using two well timed blasted made the difference.

570RM

Postby 570RM » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 am

So, I see that your having some questions over the Blaster. I would say that you would be best off to use them, as they are super good at getting through tough choke points. That being said, however, they are only really effective on highly leveled nodes. Pretty much, using one on a level 1 black ICE is pointless. But, if your at like 20 seconds left and have to take down the core, it's a good option. The Blaster can also be super good for clearing through low leveled code gates, as they damage the node instead of the code strength. Just keep them upgraded, and you'll be fine. :P
Computer language design is just like a stroll in the park. Jurassic Park, that is.

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:35 pm

570RM wrote:if your at like 20 seconds left and have to take down the core, it's a good option.
If that's the case, the Maniac is the best option along with a couple of leeches. You risk running out of time even with leeches if you use the Blaster because it's just too slow for those situations.
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage

Ego

Postby Ego » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:35 pm

I would say, early game, blaster isn't really needed. There are other programs that can still get you from A - B. Later on in the game you will need something to get through certain obstacles and often times people go with blaster. For instance, a common obstacle is a level 21 code gate protected by a level 21 beetle. Unless you are using some very strong krakens, you have to use ram -> blaster or maybe ram -> maniac. You could just use ram -> triple beam but that would take too long and there is usually another gate right behind it. So are they worth it? Yes they are... Eventually

Return to “HACKING STRATEGIES”