Loki Botnet

Various ways of using programs during hacks
USJapan

Loki Botnet

Post by USJapan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 am

Can anyone give advice on this mission? It's proven difficult for me but I really need the resources. Any help at all is useful. Like, should I have level x of a certain program? An exact strategy to use? What programs to bring? What? Again, any help is appreciated

Yopee

Re: Loki Botnet

Post by Yopee » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Try to have at least beam14 and either protector8 or shocker7.
Shuriken will help a lot here if you're a weirdo like me who uses it because it counters guardian shields.

So assuming you don't use stealth and only brute force then beam your way up to the first black sentry. If you have enough damage, then ice wall should be enough to buy you time to kill the two turrets. Black sentry has quite a bit of firewall so shouldn't be tough to hold.

The scanner after the first gate should be the toughest part of this base. I would use protector/shocker here. The scanner is kinda high level though so shouldn't be tough to hold either.

After that, it's just a matter of how fast you can take down the second gate to get to the rest of the base.

USJapan

Post by USJapan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Yopee wrote:Try to have at least beam14 and either protector8 or shocker7.
Shuriken will help a lot here if you're a weirdo like me who uses it because it counters guardian shields.

So assuming you don't use stealth and only brute force then beam your way up to the first black sentry. If you have enough damage, then ice wall should be enough to buy you time to kill the two turrets. Black sentry has quite a bit of firewall so shouldn't be tough to hold.

The scanner after the first gate should be the toughest part of this base. I would use protector/shocker here. The scanner is kinda high level though so shouldn't be tough to hold either.

After that, it's just a matter of how fast you can take down the second gate to get to the rest of the base.
Thank you so much, I definitely have some work ahead of me (my beam cannon is only now going to level 7 or 8.)
The only thing I wanna say (besides thank you) is that I do like to stealth hack and portal my way in but seeing the base, I know that'll be a challenge, so I'm probably gonna try and wrath the code gates and maybe a torrent if I can. Again, thank you so much

USJapan

Post by USJapan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Oh, in addition, I do Carey a small number of shurikens for whatever reason I need them for. They are a useful program and I want to actually test would they be faster if there's (for example) four resource items on a guardian as opposed to the beam cannon

brzytki

Post by brzytki » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:27 pm

USJapan wrote:Oh, in addition, I do Carey a small number of shurikens for whatever reason I need them for. They are a useful program and I want to actually test would they be faster if there's (for example) four resource items on a guardian as opposed to the beam cannon
Even if they are a few levels lower than beam they'll be faster on 4 nodes. However, you have to keep in mind that if those nodes have AV installed things will be definitely tougher. Since shuriken have much lower damage than beams, they need more defense programs because they'll be longer under the fire (the time will be shorter than when using beams but during that time you'll be constantly attacked by 4 nodes instead of 4->3->2->1). While in some cases you can get away with installing 3 beams and an IW, you will need more than one IW if you want to use shuriken. They aren't that useful once you start facing higher level sentries when it's better to capture a node as fast as you can because even a protector when attacked from 4 sides can't handle the damage done.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:43 pm

brzytki wrote:
USJapan wrote:Oh, in addition, I do Carey a small number of shurikens for whatever reason I need them for. They are a useful program and I want to actually test would they be faster if there's (for example) four resource items on a guardian as opposed to the beam cannon
Even if they are a few levels lower than beam they'll be faster on 4 nodes. However, you have to keep in mind that if those nodes have AV installed things will be definitely tougher. Since shuriken have much lower damage than beams, they need more defense programs because they'll be longer under the fire (the time will be shorter than when using beams but during that time you'll be constantly attacked by 4 nodes instead of 4->3->2->1). While in some cases you can get away with installing 3 beams and an IW, you will need more than one IW if you want to use shuriken. They aren't that useful once you start facing higher level sentries when it's better to capture a node as fast as you can because even a protector when attacked from 4 sides can't handle the damage done.
This is true for early game against maybe black or brown sentries but completely wrong against gold sentries.

Shuriken is a late game weapon. It has much higher damage than beam when attacking more than one node.
If you ever fight against gold sentries and you only have a lvl 12 or lower protector, then make sure to use shuriken. Beam cannot take down nodes fast enough to allow protector to heal.
Late game bases also can abuse link priority so beam can be controlled by the defender (similar to kraken) into attacking worthless or tanky nodes.

The main reason why people don't use shuriken is because it is expensive to upgrade and compile. That's why it isn't used as much despite having much higher damage than beam.

USJapan

Post by USJapan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:29 am

I appreciate both your inputs, and I'll definitely be considering this. But the short team remains, I'm floundering to keep up honestly, and Loki is my main goal atm. Especially since between the resources in it, and the mission reward, you're almost at 80,000 B Coin, and I need 80k to upgrade my access program now (that's my highest at this point but still, like I said I have an affinity to stealth hack my way in.) So I need strategy for days in this one