Scanner

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Kenny

Scanner

Post by Kenny » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Scanner
Increases stealth program detection on all nodes three steps away and closer. Access, Wraith and Portal programs alarm the network faster.

it means that in stealth mode it faster increasing that 3600 points?

And this node still working normally even if is infected by access program?

Fantöm

Re: Scanner

Post by Fantöm » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 pm

That's right, for example an access takes 1sec to deploy and has a visibility of 150 at first. So it means the visibility bar will increase by 150. Though if it's close to the Scanner (3 tiles) well this will be increased by a certain percentage (at base : 120%). So you do the maths :D

Now I'm not sure if the normal amount of visibility you get every sec without putting any Access / Data Leech / Wraith / Portal around is increased when you're next to the Scanner.

And to answer your question, nothing will happen to the node as long as you only use Access to it. For example :
- if you put a Data Leech (only works on mines and Core) the node will not be affected, the Leech will drain the ressources out, that's all.
- if you use a Wraith, it will automatically disable whatever node you can use it on (most effective are on Code Gates). Beware, once the node is disabled, the antivirus program coming from Sentries will not have any effect on this node!
- if you use a Portal, well it will spawn a portal next (?) to the node.
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

LadTy

Post by LadTy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 pm

- The stealth bar is filling up with the same speed, no matter whether you have Scanner or not.
- During installation of Stealth programs, the bar is being filled up significantly more based on the program used and it's level.
- If such a program is being installed in vicinity of some active Scanner, the amount by which the bar increases during installation of these programs is multiplied by the sensitivity of the strongest Scanner that 'sees' the program being installed (= active nearby with highest level).

- Scanners are inactive during upgrades
- Scanners can be made inactive by attacker, if he finishes installation of Wraith (= disable node) or Portal (= take control of node) on them

Edit: Fantom was faster, cool :)
// Portal is the same thing as if you conquered the node in brute phase. Meaning you can start your attack from that node, the same way you normally start attack from Connections. But the portal itself does not make the node inactive, as in if the defender overtakes the node back, it can normally attack. It's pretty much backdooring the network so you can start further in and wreak havoc all around you :)
11100000111O10000000001O10000000001O00010001000O00000100000O00000010000O00001000000O00010000000O10000000001O10000000001O11100000111

Fantöm

Post by Fantöm » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:50 pm

LadTy wrote:- Scanners can be made inactive by attacker, if he finishes installation of Wraith (= disable node) or Portal (= take control of node) on them
Is there an actual point on 'wasting' a Wraith to disable the Scanner? Unless it's in the middle of the network, is there really a use in that?
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:47 pm

so it doesn't matter if scanner is behind security nodes. or in middle/end network.

for example with upgraded scanner to 160% near net connection in next 3 nodes count one access as 240 points (150*1.6) in case that scanner is not disabled with wraith.

example: if have netconnection - evolver - scanner - par of turrets ( parallel ) - black ice - code gate - code gate
scanner have range 3 nodes to each side so I need use 6 access and for disable code gates 2 wraiths
5 access ( on netconnection - evolver - scanner - par of turrets ( parallel ) - black ice - code gate ) so 5x 240 + 150 = 1350 just for access
and 2 wraiths - 1x 160 + 1x 100 , so totaly 1610 + time

for same setup with use wraith on scanner = net connection - 240 ; evolver - 240 ; scanner - 160 + 150 ; turret - 150 ; black ice - 150 ; codegate -100 +150 ; codegate - 100 ; - total 1440 + time

so there is probably reason use wraith on scanner even if is upgraded to higher level.

I hope that my calculations are correct : )

Fantöm

Post by Fantöm » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:13 pm

If you're not familiar with Stealth attacks, I just give you one advice : Don't "ever" use Access on a non-disabled CodeGate if a Scanner is in range
The reason is simple : When you do so, instead of only taking 1 sec to install, it will take 5 sec (or something close to that). The reason is because it's a CodeGate, it's a filter as the description says. So the amount of visibility raises a lot during those 5 seconds (it is 150*1.6*5).
Second advice : If you plan on continuing the Stealth attack beyond a CodeGate, don't use your Wraith and Access hacks at the same time. Since the CodeGate isn't yet disabled, your Access will take 5 seconds to get through the Gate (+4 sec it took for the Wraith to go in action). Note that Access doesn't disable the node (aka takes longer to get through during your hack)

So in your maths, you need to do this for every node :
- whenever you will use Wraith, it takes 3-4 sec.
- *almost* whenever you use Access, it takes 1 sec.
- if you face a CodeGate and only use Access, it takes 5sec.

Sorry too late to do the maths again but you get what I mean. Also thanks for the reply.

And to give you a quick hint : On your network (the most recent attack), I was at a visibility of ~3450/3600 to get to disable your furthest Sentry. If you had moved your Scanner to a different place, I would have had more trouble. :)

EDIT : Idk about the amount of time it takes to install portal. But Data Leech is 1 second. Though it adds ~20 visibility/sec if you use it during the stealth phase.

Prochlub

Post by Prochlub » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:25 pm

Kenny: Nice :)

Yeah, it depends. For sure it can be well worth it. On higher levels, scanners sensitivity can be 300% for example, or 400% etc. So with just 300%, you can either install 2 Wraiths next to that scanner for "6Wcost", or install Wraith on scanner (3Wc) and 3 more somewhere else = 4 in total (obviously you would have to count in the time it takes, I ignore it here... but just as a very simple example that it can be well worth it in this sense).
You have to keep in mind other costs though. In regard of pure 'stealth bar' price it can be as good as this. But it is also possible, that the network will have the scanner on a dead end where you don't want to go, so you would have to install more accesses to get to it (= waste the bar even more to disable it). It highly depends on the level end topology of the network.
Plus there's also the indispensable cost in library space, where the bonus wraith takes space you could use for something else.
Last edited by Prochlub on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Prochlub

Post by Prochlub » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Fantöm wrote:Don't "ever" use Access on a non-disabled CodeGate if a Scanner is in range
I know you mean well, but seriously, the space Wraith takes can be more valuable than the stealth bar you save by doing this. Again, really depends, but I purposefully did exactly that several times, install access on active gate just because I wanted to install portal behind it. And use the extra space for "brute" programs.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Fantöm

Post by Fantöm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:02 am

Prochlub wrote:
Fantöm wrote:Don't "ever" use Access on a non-disabled CodeGate if a Scanner is in range
I know you mean well, but seriously, the space Wraith takes can be more valuable than the stealth bar you save by doing this. Again, really depends, but I purposefully did exactly that several times, install access on active gate just because I wanted to install portal behind it. And use the extra space for "brute" programs.
Agreed that's because you used the portal, which takes the room for 2 Wraiths ! I didn't unlock it yet.