Is the black ice rather underrated?

Various ways of using programs during hacks
funez1

Is the black ice rather underrated?

Postby funez1 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 am

Ive notice that many players dislike this node. I can see why. It's firewall is rather not to different from a turret. And has a very long attack time. Whats odd is it fires similar to a blaster. And I would have assumed that this node would have some resistances to shocker or blaster damage. This would have to be tested. But I do believe that the damage it puts out may not be enough since if it were against a level 21 protector by itself the protector would easily regenerate. But with the hawk it is unsure two to implement these types of mechanics.

570RM

Re: Is the black ice rather underrated?

Postby 570RM » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Sadly, I think so. I noticed that although the black ICE is SUPER powerful when kept upgraded, its damage output, along with the time to fire and firewall, dont go well together. It's only really effective to those people who dont worry about their ICE walls and Protector programs. If its firewall was greatly improved, it (may) work out better. Just to note tho that the damage it says when upgrading the node is for every second, so it's much more powerful than it looks. But still, it's only really good at taking out high firewalled nodes, and without being under constant attack. Such a shame too, because it cost SO much to upgrade. Just getting it to level 2 is $65,000! That same money can get a level 2 turret to level 3. I do find, however, that on larger bases, if the hostile node goes and attacks some other node before the black ICE, it may stand a chance. If the firing speed was increased like 20%, it would make a huge difference to other players. This way, players cant take down a level 2 or 3 black ICE with a level 1 Protector. I'm only Core 4 (restarted because too many nodes were underleveled, and I had like 50 rep at Core 7), but it's still not that good. Such q shame too. Super cool idea, but way too many loopholes around it :(
Computer language design is just like a stroll in the park. Jurassic Park, that is.

funez1

Postby funez1 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:37 pm

Be aware though that increasing attack speed would actualy reduce damage per blow. They have a mulitplier based on the time it takes to charge each shot. So a buff in strength would also be needed to maintain its power

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Yes, it is underrated because most players have no clue how to properly use it. It's more powerful than a Turret yet it's used less. It's not supposed to be a better option than a Turret, much like going to the gym isn't supposed to be a better option than eating healthy. Use it as an entry node connected to the netCs if it's underleved or use 1 at a choke point with a higher leveled Turret so that the Turret is targeted first because of firewall priorities and the Black ICE will deal more damage than the Turret that way. You can also use it to make a node harder to hold onto even tho it's not really a choke point, essentially turning it into one. For example putting the Black ICE on a Code Gate that's connected to another Code Gate. While the attacker is busy taking down the Code Gate, the Black ICE will deal some serious damage forcing the attacker to shield up if there is enough DPS in the choke point. Use the AV, AI and even Guardians to help the Black ICE shine on such chokes. Math, math math, it all comes down to math. Do the math, it's not a bad node and although it could be better as anything could, it most definitely can be useful, more so in fact than the Turret, if used correctly.
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage

funez1

Postby funez1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:35 am

I totally agree. But idk. It just seems like it is a bit slow. Also even if it were connected to other gates. It will be the first thing programs target. Any security node with AV is first. Then the core. I just think it needs a bit of help.

Return to “HACKING STRATEGIES”