Attack priority of A.I.

Various ways of using programs during hacks
HULK

Attack priority of A.I.

Postby HULK » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:28 pm

I want to know the proper attack priority of the game A.I. When we hack someone and we reach a node which is connected with multiple other nodes, which one will it attack first. I know it attacks the defensive nodes first. But i want to further break it down to each type of node (like a sentry first, then a turret). Can someone give me the order of priority based on your observations or information.

Trickster
Site Admin

Re: Attack priority of A.I.

Postby Trickster » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Priorities of offensive programs during hacks are well described here: http://hackersthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Offensive

SalamanderKrajza

Postby SalamanderKrajza » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:46 am

I am not sure if i am dont uderstand whats means point 5:
Business Nodes - The Core Node takes priority first.

Or that sentence doesn't work well:
If connected nodes fall under the same priority the node with the highest firewall will be targeted.

Here is example ;/

youtu.be/cUla_K7Nvuw

Silken

Postby Silken » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:41 am

SalamanderKrajza wrote:I am not sure if i am dont uderstand whats means point 5:
Business Nodes - The Core Node takes priority first.

Or that sentence doesn't work well:
If connected nodes fall under the same priority the node with the highest firewall will be targeted.

Here is example ;/

Business nodes are B-Coin/Mixer/Farm/Database, so the Core takes priority over them.

The Firewall part is misleading, hopefully @Luminaar can change it in the wiki, but the problem is testing. Personally, I think it's nodes of the same 'type' then the one with the highest fire wall is targeted i.e two turrets or two Farms. Since B-Mine and Farm are different, the firewall is not taken into account. So looks like Farm > B-Mine.

The most important to know is the order of Security nodes, which is Sentry, Turret, Black Ice, regardless of Firewall. Although I'm not sure if level plays a part if you level one ridiculously higher than the rest. i.e would a very very high black ice then take priority over turret.

Also, Sentry is sometimes not targeted first. I believe it's when the anti virus has stopped spreading, it loses its priority. But again proving it is very difficult.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:10 am

SalamanderKrajza wrote: Business Nodes - The Core Node takes priority first.
Great video btw, I love it :)

First things first, thank you to @Shadowluigi777, @Matcatlover and every other Anonymous player who's been contributing in the comments to help figure this out. We edited the wiki page a while back to show that the priority list wasn't 100% accurate and that additional testing was required. Cheers for chipping in!

As you probably noticed, Business Nodes get targetted after Security Nodes. On the Wiki, the Core node has always been classified as a Business node, so it made sense to point out the Cores priority at that point. We've since discovered that the Core has a *much* higher priority than business nodes, possibly higher than Turret, but it's been tough to test as folks tend to not leave their Sentries, Turrets and Core leading off one node.
SalamanderKrajza wrote: If connected nodes fall under the same priority the node with the highest firewall will be targeted.
Yup, this has also shown to be inconsistant. With your video, we've now seen Black Node B-Coin Mine > Server Farm, and Black Node Server Farm > B-Coin Mine, as well as both higher and lower level nodes targetted first :P :? (I've also just reviewed a replay that went Farm > Mine > Farm :D.) I'll edit the Wiki after this.

Silken wrote:Also, Sentry is sometimes not targeted first. I believe it's when the anti virus has stopped spreading, it loses its priority. But again proving it is very difficult.
Yeah, I have a confirm on this too. Am tempted to place it as Other Security > Sentry > Business Node once the network is fully loaded with antivirus.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

LadTy

Postby LadTy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 pm

We investigated the attack behavior more closely based on your observations, and as reported, there are situations where it chooses targets in a different order than generally expected. We might revisit this topic in some of the future updates and make it more readable and deterministic.
11100000111O10000000001O10000000001O00010001000O00000100000O00000010000O00001000000O00010000000O10000000001O10000000001O11100000111

Gunrunner

Postby Gunrunner » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:38 am

In reguards to the previous post, I personally dont want the AI to choose my target at all. I want to choose the next node to target. It's very discouraging when the AI goes left, and I really need to go right. Eats up time and resources for absolutely no return, and often means a failed hack.

Is there some way pick your next target, or are we at the mercy of the target weighting?

Hackercritic

Postby Hackercritic » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:38 am

Gunrunner wrote:In reguards to the previous post, I personally dont want the AI to choose my target at all. I want to choose the next node to target. It's very discouraging when the AI goes left, and I really need to go right. Eats up time and resources for absolutely no return, and often means a failed hack.

Is there some way pick your next target, or are we at the mercy of the target weighting?

In a way, this gives the game an extra level of planning your defenses, to take attack priority into account. So it's not all bad that the ai decided what to attack.

Gunrunner

Postby Gunrunner » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:30 pm

It's not all that good, either. Let's take for a parallel, the self-driving car. This car follows a specific route to get from A to B. But you know a shortcut. So do you sit there for half an hour while your artifically barely-intellegent vehicle takes the long way around, or do you take the wheel?

Also, I have no doubt that sone savvy network architects are even now figuring out how to use the AI targeting behavior to design virtually impregnable netfortresses. Is this good, or is this exploitive? I suppose in a way it's both.

Compromise: A toggle between allowing the machine to route the hack, or the player. Alternatly, perhaps allowing the player to designate a specific attack order? Such a system would actually be in keeping with the hightech gist of the game.

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:44 pm

Gunrunner wrote:Also, I have no doubt that sone savvy network architects are even now figuring out how to use the AI targeting behavior to design virtually impregnable netfortresses.
Well, this is always the desired result as a network architect! The limit of having to stay within 9 nodes for every single node on your network while Program Libraries get bigger and bigger is what keeps them from being impregnable. That and there being multiple ways to attack. Defences at the front = Stealth behind. Defences spread out = Easier to brute force. Defences at the back = loot at the front :P
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Return to “HACKING STRATEGIES”