"Online too long" message while midway through a hack

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Luminaar

"Online too long" message while midway through a hack

Post by Luminaar » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Hey folks. just wanted to let you know of an issue I had occur.

As titled, I got disconnected after getting the "online too long" message, part way through a hack on someone else. Only reason/info I can provide on why I think this happened was that it was a retraced hack, and that the game thought I was still on my home network. If there's any other info I can provide, just let me know and I'll try and help out.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Trickster
Site Admin

Re: "Online too long" message while midway through a hack

Post by Trickster » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:24 pm

There is ingame system that allows other hackers to hack you if you are playing for 3 hours and more.

(But soon we would like to keep you playing if you are in the middle of a hack. It is on our TODO)

EDIT: Explained on Wiki http://hackersthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Tips

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Yup, the ingame system is a great idea, makes perfect sense. Getting booted mid-hack (and vulnerable to a counter hack) was just a bit meh :P Great game, loving it tho, keep it up! :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Alpha-Killer

Post by Alpha-Killer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:34 am

I was wondering how long someone has to be offline in order to reset the 3 hour timer. Is exiting out of the app and restarting it right away sufficient, or does someone has to be offline for a set time (i.e. 15 min) to restart the timer?
Alpha-Killer
Level 40+ 8-)
Happy Hacking!

Prochlub

Post by Prochlub » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:33 am

Not sure if you will get an official answer about that. I guess the main purpose is to prevent people from being impossible to hack, this info would allow you to be 'as protected as possible' just by staying online (except for the 15 minutes for example). Although maybe legit technically, it's probably something that does not make the best experience for anyone. Others can't hack you, and you will have to be thinking all day about not being hacked just by stupid clicking on the screen, seems like an irritating way to play a game?
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

PEN15

Post by PEN15 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:44 am

it is too bad for low lvl to farm some money to build,and ppl come and steal lots of money,pls disable this system option,it ruin the hype of the game exactly. :evil:

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:32 am

with disabled this option you could be online infinitely what is not good. you can buy shield for just mining money and btc and building. with top levels of server farm you mine about 1.8milion $ per day

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:31 am

by Alpha-Killer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:34 am
I was wondering how long someone has to be offline in order to reset the 3 hour timer.
by Prochlub » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:33 am
Not sure if you will get an official answer about that. I guess the main purpose is to prevent people from being impossible to hack, this info would allow you to be 'as protected as possible' just by staying online (except for the 15 minutes for example). Although maybe legit technically, it's probably something that does not make the best experience for anyone.
Great question and great points.

With regards to the 3 hour safety timer, I'm actually in favour. At the start of the game, it offers plenty of protection for a player to build up a network while protecting their resources. Later on in the game when upgrades take days worth of resource accumulation, 3 hours is not a huge amount of time in relation to how long you'd like to be safe for. Currently, there is no reason *not* to try and minmax the amount of safe time you have.

So, lets talk experiences. From an immersion/hacking experience perspective, being online to guard against attacks makes sense (at least until a Trojan program that always lets you retrace is invented :P). From a gaming experience however, having *other* players sat guarding their network makes for a tedious experience of constantly refreshing the network list, and being set back in resources for the trouble. With the large increase in difficulty between story missions, in can leave a player with very few ways to actually play.

Possible pathways:
- Create a DDOS option where you can lock someone out of their network for 5 minutes while you attack. (Would need to wait for the ability to keep playing if you are in the middle of a hack - mentioned above.)
- Create minor repeatable (maybe with a daily limit) PvE scenarios.
- Have their be a risk/reward for opening yourself to attack. Possible rewards could include:
- Bonus resources for successful core defence (failed attack exposes exploitable link)
- Reduction of upgrade timers (enables use of their CPU power for node upgrades/knowledge of their attacks for program upgrades)
- Have an additional daily quest to repel (defend core) or endure X number of attacks

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 pm

This is not to offend in any way Trickster, but every time I see you say TODO, I immediately think of The Wizard of Oz lol.
My in game name is Armageddon

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:32 pm

An idea for a feature, add a online timer on the home network screen, for those that lose track of time in game, easy to do sometimes.