An idea to "fix" Core-on-frontline tactic

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Sutopia

An idea to "fix" Core-on-frontline tactic

Post by Sutopia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:46 pm

*excuse for my wording for I'm not native English speaker*

It's been well known that placing the core outside of your stronghold (right next to net connections) prevents the "kraken" to eat up all the defenses.
The only paying is rep, which is even better for farmers, letting others lower rep for them so they get better opponent searching.
There is something really wrong at this point, there is almost no penalty and even sometimes pros for sacrificing core atm.

I'd suggest if the core's data is completely downloaded, all anti-virus gets nullified effect, for attacker's malware obtaining defender's algorithm.
Anti-viruses from sentries are one of the main force of stopping intruders, losing them will make the defender more vulnerable, therefore making defending core an issue.

Yopee

Re: An idea to "fix" Core-on-frontline tactic

Post by Yopee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:10 pm

I agree with you. It doesn't make sense that the tutorial tells you the core is your most important node to protect but there is actually no penalty to leave it unprotected.

I don't think your proposed antivirus immunity would work though because that is to punish people using high level sentries.
Most people with high level sentries don't need to put their cores outside because nobody at their level uses kraken anymore.

LightofHeaveN

Post by LightofHeaveN » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:19 pm

ur at that midgame where kraken attacks are tough to deal with
later on, with more nodes in your network, you will be able to protect your core more easily, or use it as a high firewall AntiVirus cannon on some choke or whatever u want.
for now just hang on until you get past those levels

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:20 pm

LightofHeaveN wrote:ur at that midgame where kraken attacks are tough to deal with
later on, with more nodes in your network, you will be able to protect your core more easily, or use it as a high firewall AntiVirus cannon on some choke or whatever u want.
OP is saying the opposite. Kraken is too easy to deal with. This tactic should be punished.

Sutopia

Post by Sutopia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:59 am

Yopee wrote:I agree with you. It doesn't make sense that the tutorial tells you the core is your most important node to protect but there is actually no penalty to leave it unprotected.

I don't think your proposed antivirus immunity would work though because that is to punish people using high level sentries.
Most people with high level sentries don't need to put their cores outside because nobody at their level uses kraken anymore.
As they did put core inside enough, by the time intruder reach it, it's like over a minute or more past, not mentioning downloading data takes great time.

LightofHeaveN

Post by LightofHeaveN » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Yopee wrote:
LightofHeaveN wrote:ur at that midgame where kraken attacks are tough to deal with
OP is saying the opposite. Kraken is too easy to deal with. This tactic should be punished.
what OP wants is a way to punish people who sacrifice their core.
at higher levels, no one has their core outside like that caus they dnt fear the kraken anymore and u can effectively use ur core in other ways.

thats my point, when he climbs more up the rep ladder, he wont be finding cores laying around outside, thats all

Sutopia

Post by Sutopia » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:18 pm

LightofHeaveN wrote: somethings
So I can see from your point of view that Kraken is a completelely useless program and it shouldn't even exist in game.
Low level : put the core outside, kraken crackened.
High level : who gives shit to kraken?
There still post an issue that either core mech or kraken mech needs a tweak or redesign,

LightofHeaveN

Post by LightofHeaveN » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Sutopia wrote:
So I can see from your point of view that Kraken is a completelely useless program and it shouldn't even exist in game.
There still post an issue that either core mech or kraken mech needs a tweak or redesign,
the meta now is beams beams and ice walls....
so yes right now, kraken is shit, there is a post already about that
ever seen a high lvl kraked by a kraken....?
i havent been attacked with that for so long.
u need to many protectors (very very high lvl, im talking 10~15+) to be able to hold the node long enough for the kraken to do its job, and even then, the core might not be at an advantageous location.

sometimes you might find targets suitable for kraken attacks, but even those, can be cleared with the usual setup of beams and defensive programs.

and yes kraken needs a tweak in a way.

Sutopia

Post by Sutopia » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 am

LightofHeaveN wrote:
Sutopia wrote:
u need to many protectors (very very high lvl, im talking 10~15+) to be able to hold the node long enough for the kraken to do its job, and even then, the core might not be at an advantageous location.

sometimes you might find targets suitable for kraken attacks, but even those, can be cleared with the usual setup of beams and defensive programs.

Or nerf the beam a bit, for instance, stacked cannon receive reduced dps

LightofHeaveN

Post by LightofHeaveN » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:53 am

Sutopia wrote:
LightofHeaveN wrote:
Sutopia wrote:

Or nerf the beam a bit, for instance, stacked cannon receive reduced dps
check last patch, beam was nerfed damaged wise at higher levels, and got a 0.5 second delay when switching targets