Not a hack

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Spankee

Not a hack

Postby Spankee » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:30 am

Hello,
Until today I've been under the impression that the core DB needed to be downloaded in order for the hacker to be credited with a successful hack.
Today, some guy shows up with a billion shuriken (level 5) which he somehow used to go straight through my level 4 code gate faster than a ram could have (I have 2 code gates. He had a ram with him and never used it.)
And then he gets to 2 nodes from my core, but seems to be distracted by my bitcoin mixer and is also trying
to navigate to it.
He finally reaches my core, and is just then also arriving at the cash and bitcoins.
He drops a few Shuriken on my core and is beginning to score money and bitcoins.
Here is the odd part.
He never breached my core. Time ran out.
He only got a few thousand cash and maybe 1700 bitcoins. He never got into the core.
I watched the replay 4 times and it's clear that the core was still under attack when time expired.
If I knew how I'd post the replay here. But believe me, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this from a smartphone on Christmas eve day if it weren't true. Lol
So I was wondering if this is a new "horse shoe" game mode where "almost" counts? Cuz I lost some rank points, and he got credited for a successful hack that didn't happen.
Oh, by the way...I don't like forums much, so please be nice. Place_smiley_here.
Thanks

Luminaar

Re: Not a hack

Postby Luminaar » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:06 am

Hey Spankee.

There are multiple ways a hack can count as successful - downloading cores, looting all the resources, and controlling all the nodes. Each of the above criteria is worth a third of the total reputation available.

See here for more details: http://hackersthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Ha ... Conditions
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Cheeese

Postby Cheeese » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:55 am

It's a successful hack if you get all the resources. Most of the time I leave the core because it amuses me, and only go after the loot!

Spankee

Postby Spankee » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Wow, so the game is not correct in saying that downloading the core database is what determines a successful hack (in the core description in.game..).
That's really off putting to new players...who are accustomed to having the important info up front. To me, that seems VERY important. It's like i got to 23 and then find out that I was approaching the whole process wrong.
The new (to me...) way does add complexity to the hack process but at the same time the core has been devalued to an afterthought. Granted, I'm new but I can't see how those rep award ratios and the devaluation of the core can be good for the GAME, overall.
Seems to obscure the goals, cloud the waters.
Personally, I'd like to see the core play a more important role and if there is to be a rep award split the core would have the largest reward 50% or 60%, with the rest splitting the remainder. Especially since hacking loot is inherently rewarding while the core has no other intrinsic value.
I really appreciate the info you guys gave me even though I'm a bit disappointed.
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas.
:mrgreen:

3ly

Postby 3ly » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:13 am

Spankee wrote:Wow, so the game is not correct in saying that downloading the core database is what determines a successful hack (in the core description in.game..).
That's really off putting to new players...who are accustomed to having the important info up front. To me, that seems VERY important. It's like i got to 23 and then find out that I was approaching the whole process wrong.
The new (to me...) way does add complexity to the hack process but at the same time the core has been devalued to an afterthought. Granted, I'm new but I can't see how those rep award ratios and the devaluation of the core can be good for the GAME, overall.
Personally, I'd like to see the core play a more important role and if there is to be a rep award split the core would have the largest reward 50% or 60%, with the rest splitting the remainder. Especially since hacking loot is inherently rewarding while the core has no other intrinsic value.
I really appreciate the info you guys gave me even though I'm a bit disappointed.

If downloading Core gives the most rep out of the 3 criteria more people will avoid it to keep their rep low for farming. And it might help to reduce Kraken.
IGN: 3ly
Lvl: 23 C: 7

Merry Christmas!!
[~3ly]

Cheeese

Postby Cheeese » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Spankee wrote:Wow, so the game is not correct in saying that downloading the core database is what determines a successful hack (in the core description in.game..).

Yeah, the way that rep exists in the game is severely broken. I've had attackers end their attacks right before they take all my loot, or the core downloads all the way so that they essentially fail, but get my cash.

Sutopia

Postby Sutopia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Cheeese wrote:

Yeah, the way that rep exists in the game is severely broken. I've had attackers end their attacks right before they take all my loot, or the core downloads all the way so that they essentially fail, but get my cash.

oops I think I'm one of those leaving things 90+% but seldom 100
manual cutting links right before depleting loots

Also, Single "Access" on random guy and disconnect make insta drop rep which is just stupid but effective

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSION”