What do you like and dislike about Hackers?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
shadowed

Re: What do you like and dislike about Hackers?

Post by shadowed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm a few more days in, and with each day I feel more that the gameplay needs drastic overhaul. I've been hacked (fail) all of once in a week. And I've hacked only a few times. There's no incentive to. My generators do enough. Not that I'd want that to decrease -- instead there should be more incentive to hack. Money sinks, less cooldown waiting and waiting, and the other fine suggestions players have made. More and more with each day, what looked like a 10/10 is looking more... meh. There's no strong pull to play under the current mechanics. :|

Edit: forgot to say: maybe consider removing or softening node type counts (e.g. 3 turrets max). Balance is challenging in game design, yes. But we wind up with so many similar setups, it makes things boring. If someone wants all turrets, let em. See what happens. It'll add diversity and make every ping interesting. One thing is for sure -- it will expose any gross imbalances.

HCX - DReaD

Post by HCX - DReaD » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:11 pm

shadowed wrote:Balance is challenging in game design, yes. But we wind up with so many similar setups, it makes things boring. If someone wants all turrets, let em. See what happens. It'll add diversity and make every ping interesting. One thing is for sure -- it will expose any gross imbalances.
The problem is, whatever kind of "balancing" done, there will be final setups for each type of gameplay (brute force/stealth/spread) which will be shared by the meta players or discovered by other players, then everyone will again follow them (either for fast win, fast resource gain, etc).

For my opinion, the thing that holds me back to play is waiting time mostly. But since I'm an f2p I guess that's what I have to face.

shadowed

Post by shadowed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:23 pm

Indeed, but even for F2P, I feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot with this design, in terms of popularity of their game. I collect money (even using generators only) so much faster than I can spend it, that it's ridiculous. Build it up for 6-12 hours... then spend it, and wait for 24-30 hours (so far) until you can spend it again. Hurry up and wait. Rinse/repeat. Really needs to change, badly IMO, if the game is to survive.

HCX - DReaD

Post by HCX - DReaD » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:11 am

shadowed wrote:Indeed, but even for F2P, I feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot with this design, in terms of popularity of their game. I collect money (even using generators only) so much faster than I can spend it, that it's ridiculous. Build it up for 6-12 hours... then spend it, and wait for 24-30 hours (so far) until you can spend it again. Hurry up and wait. Rinse/repeat. Really needs to change, badly IMO, if the game is to survive.
I think the reason for why you can't always spend your entire resources is so that other players have a reason to attack. Otherwise, everyone might as well 'camp' on their devices to lower the chances of being hacked, whilst collecting money safely, spend entire fortune to upgrade, log off log in, and camp again.

This kind of game where you only have 3 options, required to wait a long time for upgrade to finish, use credits to rush or attacking others for giggles. I think we need something else that we can do so the game won't become far less engaging at end-game.

Like minigames maybe, that we can do while waiting?

Silken

Post by Silken » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Dislikes:

It's really annoying that the Security Log and Hacks are linked when limited to 30 logs between them. I assume this is because you need to clear space on replays.

But I tank matches en-bulk to lower my reputation, which means my Security Log gets wiped before it's a good time to retrace.

Can you not un-link and set a 10-20 limit split?

Also the time stamp between them is out of step by an hour. :|
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

90skushkid

Post by 90skushkid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:09 pm

I love everything about the game. only thing though that im having a hard time with is the fact that in order to drop my rep (so I can hack lower lvl players since im lvl 11 and all I see is lvl 15+) is to waste my money to compile programs just to lose my programs and rep. or getting/waiting to get hacked so my rep can be lowered. its anooying that if I don't do that I have to waste money to refresh my map to find lower lvl players, since a lvl 2 code gate takes foreverrrrrr to take down without a ram or blaster (which I dnt have because I cant get enough b coins or money) lol and before people ask "why don't you just use credits" well im trying to play the game for what it is without spending irl money. I just find it hard once you pass 350 rep, under lvl 12 with the limited programs you have.

end rant. lol
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

HCX - DReaD

Post by HCX - DReaD » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:21 pm

90skushkid wrote:I love everything about the game. only thing though that im having a hard time with is the fact that in order to drop my rep (so I can hack lower lvl players since im lvl 11 and all I see is lvl 15+) is to waste my money to compile programs just to lose my programs and rep. or getting/waiting to get hacked so my rep can be lowered. its anooying that if I don't do that I have to waste money to refresh my map to find lower lvl players, since a lvl 2 code gate takes foreverrrrrr to take down without a ram or blaster (which I dnt have because I cant get enough b coins or money) lol and before people ask "why don't you just use credits" well im trying to play the game for what it is without spending irl money. I just find it hard once you pass 350 rep, under lvl 12 with the limited programs you have.

end rant. lol
Exactly my strategy! xD I can only aim for level 11 or lower. If they have Code Gate, and it's connected to 1 (5 slot) or 2 nodes that I can took over from NetConnections, then I will take that. Otherwise, seriously need Ram or Blaster... It is possible to break it even with just 1 node with 3 slots, but the time will be already running out by the time we break it.

Silken

Post by Silken » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:09 pm

90skushkid wrote:I love everything about the game. only thing though that im having a hard time with is the fact that in order to drop my rep (so I can hack lower lvl players since im lvl 11 and all I see is lvl 15+) is to waste my money to compile programs just to lose my programs and rep. or getting/waiting to get hacked so my rep can be lowered. its anooying that if I don't do that I have to waste money to refresh my map to find lower lvl players, since a lvl 2 code gate takes foreverrrrrr to take down without a ram or blaster (which I dnt have because I cant get enough b coins or money) lol and before people ask "why don't you just use credits" well im trying to play the game for what it is without spending irl money. I just find it hard once you pass 350 rep, under lvl 12 with the limited programs you have.

end rant. lol
OMG don't waste programs to lower reputation. All you need to do is go into a hack wait until the timer starts and disconnect from the hack without sending programs in. Or just attack as normal and disconnect from the hack when you have about 95% of the resources. It counts as a fail unless you accidentally get 100% of the core. Since getting the core sometimes happens before you get too the resources.

I normally just tank my matches when waiting for programs to train. When I get to 700 plus I seem to get a lot of on-line people and repeats in searches, so I just tank back down to 500 and start going up again.

My win/loss ration must be awful :D
Last edited by Silken on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silken
Level - 54

HCX - DReaD

Post by HCX - DReaD » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Silken wrote: OMG don't waste programs to lower reputation. All you need to do is go into a hack wait until the timer starts and disconnect from the hack without sending programs in. Or just attack as normal and disconnect from the hack when you have about 95% of the resources. It counts as a fail unless you accidentally get 100% of the core. Since getting the core sometimes happens before you get too the resources.
I would guess not all people have the patience to wait 3 minutes each time (especially since we would need to de-rep quite alot) for auto-fail. Also rep gain/lose is calculated as to how much % resource, % nodes and % Core you took before you disconnect or time up. And gaining 95% of resources will count as fail yes, but the rep penalty is lowered due to some success in plundering the resources.

I would say at around level 10, losing 2~4 B coins for -11 rep is nothing xD

Silken

Post by Silken » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:21 pm

HCX - DReaD wrote: I would guess not all people have the patience to wait 3 minutes each time (especially since we would need to de-rep quite alot) for auto-fail. Also rep gain/lose is calculated as to how much % resource, % nodes and % Core you took before you disconnect or time up. And gaining 95% of resources will count as fail yes, but the rep penalty is lowered due to some success in plundering the resources.

I would say at around level 10, losing 2~4 B coins for -11 rep is nothing xD
Huh 3 mins???

No you use the disconnect button in the top left corner, all you have to do is wait for the 30 second timer to start. Since training programs take 10 mins plus no big deal.

Also pretty sure it's not a ratio of % taken. It's split into the 3 different objectives and a pass/fail on each. Core-Control-Resources.

It may be cheap at Level 10, it's not at Level 27. The way above is the way to farm.
Silken
Level - 54