What do you like and dislike about Hackers?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
HeadOpener

Re: What do you like and dislike about Hackers?

Postby HeadOpener » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:33 am

Seems like some folks have found a way to stay permanently online. Or they just so happens to be online every single time I log in to check. Usually I know this is done for other games via pcs using emulators. Annoying to get a lot of folks you can't hack back or on your map. Following on from that why when I refresh my map do I even get people whom I can't hack because they are online show up. Filter them out before please annoying if the whole lot are logged in etc. Or maybe 1 out of 5 is not logged in.

Vnasty

Postby Vnasty » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:47 pm

HeadOpener wrote:Seems like some folks have found a way to stay permanently online. Or they just so happens to be online every single time I log in to check. Usually I know this is done for other games via pcs using emulators. Annoying to get a lot of folks you can't hack back or on your map. Following on from that why when I refresh my map do I even get people whom I can't hack because they are online show up. Filter them out before please annoying if the whole lot are logged in etc. Or maybe 1 out of 5 is not logged in.

Ive been hacked twice in a week of play, im pretty active. At work mon-fro I can plug my phone in and report back every few hours and reboot the game. I also stay logged in at home and do the same. Set one alarm in the middle of the night. You cant stop neckbearda bruh.

shadowed

Postby shadowed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:40 pm

I like a lot about the game. The graphics, the polished and thought-out design, the balance (mostly), sounds, that you can still work through goals if you want to be FTP vs. PTW. Other stuff I'm forgetting or too small to mention.

I don't have many dislikes but I do have a suggestion for an area of (IMO) weakness. Too much of the game is spent waiting.

The scenario: you have $54,000. You need $65,000. No big deal; go steal it. But! You're already doing two 12-hour upgrades, that are 7 and 4 hours from done. Sure, when the 4 is done, you can put both threads on the 7 and reduce it to 1.5. Still, that's 5.5 hours where you are just waiting. Sure you can spend credits. Right. Sure, you can go steal money while you're waiting, but then you're a target because you'll get traces and you'll have a nice fat(ter) purse to steal. So I and I would guess many of us go and do something else -- play around with network design, software loadouts or whatever -- or maybe we just log off to wait. That's not good. For the players or the game (and thus the devs). Forced down time is where all of these hacking games go wrong. Yes some time is probably a good idea, but these are huge times. I'm seeing times now of 24 hrs and I'm only lvl 12. It's too much. IMO, max wait time, ever, highest level, should be no more than six hours. I realize this is one of TA's avenues for making income but I'd rather 'watch' more commercial ads for them than have to stop playing for a whole day.

It's a shame really. HackEx, lame, so much waiting time it should be criminalized. vHack doesn't offer all that Hackers does, but at least it keeps moving (once you have botnet PCs). Before botnets, though, too much waiting. Hacker Experience -- too much waiting and grinding. All of them, too much waiting.

Hackers came along like a gleaming ray of hope. And it's great. But the past few days I'm seeing too much waiting and it's increasing. If others feel as I do and act the same (logging off to wait), that's not good for the players or the game.

One more suggestion: have an admin test mode where we can test/attack our own server for free. :-D

CerberusArc

Postby CerberusArc » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:05 am

Things I Like:
1. I LOVE this game overall. I haven't had this much fun with an app in quite a while. It is so amazingly refreshing to see something that is not just the cookie cutter castle/base building crap that hogs the app list. This game is unique, interesting and just familiar enough that it doesn't seem too odd. THANK YOU!

2. The combat is good. It has a deep strategic depth and lots of options. You really have to think and plan about what you compile and how you use it. It is also very responsive and challenging. I've been super pissed off and raging at myself several times for making mistakes, but that just proves how good the system is.

3. The overall atmosphere of the game is great. It really pulls you into a "hacker" virtual space.

Things I Don't Like:

1. It takes a long time to compile programs, especially in the early game, for how much use you get out of them. I basically play for 5 minutes and then have to do something else for 20 minutes while my programs compile again. I actually posted an idea about this (The Archive) in another threat. More advanced players have told me this problem gets better over time, but I do think it is a BIG turnoff for new players and should be addressed in some way. That said I currently have core level 6 (halfway through the progression as I understand it) and still have pretty much the same issue. Yes, I have more programs but the targets also require more programs to beat, so I still use them all and have to wait a long time.

2. As others have said the potential for excessive hacking is a problem. Although it hasn't really gotten bad for me yet, I do see the potential that it could be very bad for a player. Hope your new algorithm fixes this.

Things I would Love to see Added:

1. The NPC missions and the story behind them isn't bad so far (not sure how far I am into it). I do think that they could be made stronger and that there could be more done to connect the missions into a narrative. So far only the ANUBIS missions really seemed to have "story" progression. Also, what happens when we run out of NPC missions? I would like to see repeatables that pop up on a semi-consistent basis. Maybe whenever you do a search there could be a chance for respawning NPC mission of some kind with a message pop-up.

2. As others have said, game really needs groups, clans whatever snazzy thing you want to call them. Also, with this it would be important to have group objectives and larger scale "hacker wars" that would be unique from the normal "search and destroy" combat system that is standard.

Hope this helps. I have sunk more money into this game already than most apps, and I was happy to do so to support a great game. I look forward to more and frequent future content! Keep up the good work!

shadowed

Postby shadowed » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 pm

"Please wait..."

I wanted to provide a more detailed version of what I was trying to describe above. The following is what I'm facing right now in-game.

I awoke to about 2100 bc and $58000. I immediately put 1000 bc toward upgrading a money generator from 7-8. So that's 24 hrs to one thread.

I put 1024 bc toward an ice wall upgrade 1-2. So that's my evolver out for 5 hours.

I robbed one generator for the remaining amount to take me over $64000. Put that toward bc gen 8-9. So that's 30 hrs for my other thread.

My money pots are thus empty, and all of my threads are occupied. Without buying another thread, I have about zero reason to play for at least the next 5 hrs and more likely, the next day.

Why? To steal money I can't do anything with? Might as well just say come and get it, hackers.

So that, in my opinion, is the largest problem with this otherwise excellent game. Since no amount of money is secure, it is strictly use it or lose it. But then, all of our construction resources are occupied for unreasonable amounts of time. This leaves the options to: PTW, wait and wait, or quit. Not good for the players or the game, which means not good for the devs.
Last edited by shadowed on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:34 pm

few hours or day is good

wait for higher levels for example upgrade server farm and b-coin mine to lvl 21 tooks 5days and 16 hours

Jaystar

Postby Jaystar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:34 pm

I think the building times and requirements are just the right balance.
However, like I said in previous posts, there is a massive flaw in retaining the attention of the players.
Really early players can easily build their army in a few minutes. But after core level 4, everything just slows down.

Some other games have plenty of events going on to replenish the excitement of the game when it was first released. Here are some of my proposals:
1. Events (someone else said it) do long term/ weekend events to encourage more activities.
- 50% off production time on all programs
- 50% off production cost on all programs
- 50% off searching for players
- 50% increase in gold/Bcoin production
- 50% loot increase
- 10% increase in all offensive programs
- 30% reduction in stealth detection. Encourage more stealth play.
- All Rep gain and losses are DOUBLED
- A set of activities that can only be completed once. E.g. Hack 10 people who have higher rep than you. Gain 50k gold. E.g. Ensure the core is not downloaded for 12 hours. Gain 2k Bcoin. E.g. Actively hack and gain 1 million gold. You gain 50% increase in program production speed.
- NPC Boss Networks: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum difficulty only for weekdays. Might introduce NPC only nodes which requires you to download to achieve mission completion. Each week provides a new Network.

2. Add certain achievements to reward credit/gold/Bcoin
- Steal certain amount of gold/Bcoin progression reward.
- Hack a certain number of people
- Stealth hack certain number of people
- Unlock certain element of the game for reward; e.g. core upgraded to lvl 6, 30 credit increase. e.g. lvl 10 mine upgraded, 10 credit increase.

3. Login Events
- Everyday rewards you a different amount of gold/bCoin.
- Every seven days reward you credits

4. Increase the number of daily quests and slots
- Increase from 3 to 5 slots
- Increase replenishment rate from 1 to 3 quests per day
- Bigger quests give bigger rewards. E.g. Hack 30 people successfully for 25 credits.

5. Host competition for Network Designs on Forums for different level ranges. 1-10, 11-15, 16-20, 21-30, 30+
- Give rewards that are credit claimable for the winner/runnerups. Backgrounds or Protection.

If you implement some of these, I'm sure more players will be playing and investing their money into the game.
IGN: Emperor.Jaystar
[C12] [LV60]
Current Occupation: Terminated Account

shadowed

Postby shadowed » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:22 pm

A lot of good suggestions there that could go a long way toward inspiring more activity.

And now, back to waiting... Another hour before I can start a big two upgrades (evolver and core) and then another whole day+ of waiting again... *cry*

7h0rn

Postby 7h0rn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:52 pm

Jaystar wrote:I think the building times and requirements are just the right balance.
However, like I said in previous posts, there is a massive flaw in retaining the attention of the players.
Really early players can easily build their army in a few minutes. But after core level 4, everything just slows down.

[...]

I feel exactly like this, after 4 days of playing from ground zero.

I agree with Jaystar's suggestions. If the game designers manage to make a faster pace game, and maybe create championships, I believe this game has a lot of potential to become even an e-sport! The game has the visual appeal, hehe

Most of the ingredients are there. I hope the devs read all those really good suggestions i have read, and quickly respond to the game community in the forums and in the game!

Now, mine suggestions... I believe those three buttons under the globe at the "nmap screen" would fit better in the local network screen. It seems strange to enter in another section to make the configuration settings of the game.

It would be nice if, after completing the tutorials, the description of the usage of each node appear like a short .gif clip. Maybe, creating another small button for a "hackpedia", to better describe the game mechanics. I still do not understand clearly the Code Gate, for example. Another information i did not find is the amount of resources will be exposed for someone else to steal while i am offline. This should be shown somewhere in the game.

Also, I found very annoying not knowing what some of the more advanced nodes were supposed to do, while i do not have enough level to install them in my network. I had to look for the wikia.

It would be nice if a tooltip, like those used in the story sequence, advises the player of a new node too powerful to beat and recommend to not attack or to look for more information at the wikia site.

Ujnex

Postby Ujnex » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:12 am

I'd say I love a lot about this game but reaching hier tiers I feel I can't compete with them even if I'm top 1 of my country because they leave their tablet online 24/7, sometimes, I get full search batches that are all online so this is quite troublesome.

I enjoy the stealth aspect of it, even if I didn't try it too much, as for the kraken I can't say much but everytime I get one I get destroyed to the core.

Training times are taking hourly per hack so I hope now that I'm researching compiler v2 that it lowers drastically.

It annoys me a bit that I only get 3 nodes per core level so I can't just buy all the mines to get more resources which would be nice for people I hack and who hacks me.

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSION”