Scanner is useless

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Goldenkiwi

Scanner is useless

Post by Goldenkiwi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Lvl 1 access can easily hack 2 lvl 5 scanner!

Yopee

Re: Scanner is useless

Post by Yopee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Multiple Scanners don't work together so having two level 5 scanners is worse than having a single level 6+ scanner.
Generally speaking, a level 6 scanner can just barely stop a stealth attack if it is covering two code gates.
Level 8+ scanner is much more reliable.

The other defense against stealth is to branch out your base. Split up resources/core between multiple long paths.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Goldenkiwi wrote:Lvl 1 access can easily hack 2 lvl 5 scanner!
As mentioned above, make sure that your Scanner's aren't overlapping to provide maximum network coverage. It is true though, similar to Black ICE, it benefits quite substantially from being levelled up. Unlike Black ICE though, low level scanners have a second use ... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=358
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

CerberusArc

Post by CerberusArc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:23 pm

As others have indicated, the scanner is something of a synergistic defense node. This means it won't work very well unless it is well integrated into your overall defense.

If you have no code gates covered by a scanner, or you have overlapping scanners so that a good chunk of your nodes are not covered, then yes, level 1 or 2 access will hack you every time.

However, as someone who does pretty much 90 percent stealth--->Portal resource grabs, I've identified the bases I can hack and the bases I cannot pretty easily.

1. Ensure all of your code gates are covered by the scanner's range. You can see scanner range in purple when you select it. Using level 2 access, and level 1 everything else, I can generally get through 2 code gates, although it is nail-biting close.

2. Split your resources off on two alternate paths. This is a sure fire way to stop portal strikes. I never attack a base with split resources because I'm not going to ever invest 2 portals in the attack.

3. Scanners are cheap to upgrade compared to most defense structures. It is obvious they were designed to be pushed higher than average. Push them to level 6 or 7 when they start to turn really black and scary looking. I never attack those because I can't quite make it through.

4. Put your resources as far from the net connection as possible, always. Obviously, the more access programs I have to use to get to your goodies, the less I will get and the higher chance I will fail.

It is hard to defeat portal strikes, even when you know what you're doing, but it can be done. Every portal strike is a pretty close call, and it doesn't take much to tip the balance in your favor.

Albus Belmont

Post by Albus Belmont » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:25 pm

I find scanners very useful for choke points. I haven't been stealth I hope my layout is good enough to fend them off.
Castlevania Fan + Dark Souls Fan = Certified Masochist :lol:

IGN:Albus_Belmont
REP:700+

For those who I hacked thanks for the donation I'll put it to good use ;)