Idea: Program to Increase Timer

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
VLarian

Re: Idea: Program to Increase Timer

Post by VLarian » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 pm

CerberusArc wrote:
1. A reward for 100 percent hack would be awesome. With reputation not being a reward (actually a punishment, lol) a 100 percent hack could come with other rewards. I could see the backdoor idea being abused, but perhaps the 100 percent reward could grant a bonus to the hacker such as increased resource generation speed or compile speed. It could also "unlock" something that is not otherwise available. I think the PERFECT scenario would be a special NPC hack that has lots of resources to steal (I'm looking at your Berliner Kreditbank). This target would be only unlocked on the next scan after a 100 percent hack.
100% hacks can be too easily done. The reward you're suggesting is overkill.

CerberusArc

Post by CerberusArc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:40 pm

VLarian wrote:
CerberusArc wrote:
1. A reward for 100 percent hack would be awesome. With reputation not being a reward (actually a punishment, lol) a 100 percent hack could come with other rewards. I could see the backdoor idea being abused, but perhaps the 100 percent reward could grant a bonus to the hacker such as increased resource generation speed or compile speed. It could also "unlock" something that is not otherwise available. I think the PERFECT scenario would be a special NPC hack that has lots of resources to steal (I'm looking at your Berliner Kreditbank). This target would be only unlocked on the next scan after a 100 percent hack.
100% hacks can be too easily done. The reward you're suggesting is overkill.
On some targets perhaps, but what is your level. Try getting a 100 percent hack on a level 30+. While perfectly doable for many targets, it is harder. If you are low level, then yes at the beginning of the game 100 percent is very easy, which is one reason so many new players shoot up in rep and then get frustrated because of the current meta.

Currently, there is actually no or negative incentive to get 100 percent hacks. This would add incentive. It would also add a few other things I think the game needs 1) alternative to get resources 2) more NPC targets (which improves game's consistency).

You will also find that while Berliner Kreditbank may seem like a ton of money at the level when you first see it, 200-800K money actually isn't all that much at all. I could spend that much or more on a single defense upgrade.

VLarian

Post by VLarian » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Level 23. 800rep +-100. The rewards you have suggested sound good, but the way to get them cannot be linked to 100% hacks.

At my rep and level, it's difficult to have a 100% hack on most targets on the World View. But every couple of times I hit the target search button, I get someone slightly lower levelled than me.

I'm not exactly sure about this: For a High level, low rep farmer, the world view might pop-up loads of lower level hackers who can be hacked on an hourly basis to get these periodic rewards.

It all comes down to spending a few bucks in the Search Target button until you get the juiciest low level player that you can destroy 100%.

VLarian

Post by VLarian » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:29 pm

CerberusArc wrote: On some targets perhaps, but what is your level. Try getting a 100 percent hack on a level 30+. While perfectly doable for many targets, it is harder. If you are low level, then yes at the beginning of the game 100 percent is very easy, which is one reason so many new players shoot up in rep and then get frustrated because of the current meta.

Currently, there is actually no or negative incentive to get 100 percent hacks. This would add incentive. It would also add a few other things I think the game needs 1) alternative to get resources 2) more NPC targets (which improves game's consistency).

You will also find that while Berliner Kreditbank may seem like a ton of money at the level when you first see it, 200-800K money actually isn't all that much at all. I could spend that much or more on a single defense upgrade.
(Continued)
As of now, the rep system is weird, up to the point of being broken. It means nothing and bears not much impact on the gameplay. If this suggested system was implemented, it would be an absolute mess where many more high rep players would lower themselves to get easy 100% hacks on lower level players for the assured rewards. And then the reps would be all over the place.

CerberusArc

Post by CerberusArc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:14 pm

VLarian wrote:
CerberusArc wrote: On some targets perhaps, but what is your level. Try getting a 100 percent hack on a level 30+. While perfectly doable for many targets, it is harder. If you are low level, then yes at the beginning of the game 100 percent is very easy, which is one reason so many new players shoot up in rep and then get frustrated because of the current meta.

(Continued)
As of now, the rep system is weird, up to the point of being broken. It means nothing and bears not much impact on the gameplay. If this suggested system was implemented, it would be an absolute mess where many more high rep players would lower themselves to get easy 100% hacks on lower level players for the assured rewards. And then the reps would be all over the place.
I agree, the rep system would need to be restructured to implement this idea. For example, there may need to be "tiers" in which players are placed either according to their level or their rep. Probably their rep, unless the entire search system is overhauled. For example, players in the 700-1000 rep range would get different/better rewards than players in the lower rep ranges. This is just common sense to avoid the problem you are identifying. Since I trust that Hackers team is a competent developer, I would trust they would just throw something into the system that would create a such a mess as you describe.