Idea: Program to Increase Timer

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
CerberusArc

Idea: Program to Increase Timer

Post by CerberusArc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Been a while since I've posted or thought too hard on the game. Figured I would bring up a new idea I had for review.

I've found that hacking time becomes the major equalizer in the game. No matter how many programs you have or how strong they are, against very strong defense or well spread out networks, you simply run out of time. Usually it's very close by 10-15 seconds.

What if a high level program was added that simply increased the amount of time for the hack? Would be explained in game lore as a program that delayed the system reboot. Delay could either be a straight increase in the time or a percentage increase of the remaining time upon program activation.

I think the percentage time increase would be more balanced because it would encourage use of the program earlier. It would not simply be usable as an "oh shit I need more time" emergency. You would have to decide strategically if you are going to need it or not before wasting too much of it.

Now, before you start shouting OP! (I know my idea could easily be considered OP and would be if done improperly) consider the following:

1. The program would obviously be high level, equal to Maniac or one level higher.

2. The program would be expensive to develop and compile. Again, equal to Maniac or higher.

3. The program would take 10-20 slots. Essentially, a player would have to be choosy. Are they going to use a lot of slots on a program with no real offensive power? If they unbalanced this decision, they would have lots of time but no programs to use. :lol:

4. The program would consume a program slot at the installed node. It would do nothing offensively or defensively except sit at the node and take up space. It could be deployed anywhere on the network. If the node it is deployed on is taken, then the program is deleted and the effect erased.
Alternative: Alternatively, the program could only be placed on the core, requiring that the core be hacked before it can be used. This may help balance its power (and also encourage core protection).

Thoughts?

legal

Re: Idea: Program to Increase Timer

Post by legal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:23 pm

CerberusArc wrote:Been a while since I've posted or thought too hard on the game. Figured I would bring up a new idea I had for review.

I've found that hacking time becomes the major equalizer in the game. No matter how many programs you have or how strong they are, against very strong defense or well spread out networks, you simply run out of time. Usually it's very close by 10-15 seconds.

What if a high level program was added that simply increased the amount of time for the hack? Would be explained in game lore as a program that delayed the system reboot. Delay could either be a straight increase in the time or a percentage increase of the remaining time upon program activation.

I think the percentage time increase would be more balanced because it would encourage use of the program earlier. It would not simply be usable as an "oh shit I need more time" emergency. You would have to decide strategically if you are going to need it or not before wasting too much of it.

Now, before you start shouting OP! (I know my idea could easily be considered OP and would be if done improperly) consider the following:

1. The program would obviously be high level, equal to Maniac or one level higher.

2. The program would be expensive to develop and compile. Again, equal to Maniac or higher.

3. The program would take 10-20 slots. Essentially, a player would have to be choosy. Are they going to use a lot of slots on a program with no real offensive power? If they unbalanced this decision, they would have lots of time but no programs to use. :lol:

4. The program would consume a program slot at the installed node. It would do nothing offensively or defensively except sit at the node and take up space. It could be deployed anywhere on the network. If the node it is deployed on is taken, then the program is deleted and the effect erased.
Alternative: Alternatively, the program could only be placed on the core, requiring that the core be hacked before it can be used. This may help balance its power (and also encourage core protection).

Thoughts?
I normally finish with 2 minutes to spare
Username: Legal
Level: 48 (12/25/16)
Core: 12
Highest reputation: meaningless
Highest world rank: meaningless
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.

Vnasty

Post by Vnasty » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:24 pm

3 min hack is Plenty of time. Sometimes I end the hack early if the network is weak. Your idea is easily countered by upgrading your basic programs. With access and portal its dam near 5 min to hack a below average network. With upgraded compiler you can que 4 programs at time. With 3 upgraded library's you have over 200 program slots. I swear as mean as I come off do some of you even play this game, lol?

Vnasty

Post by Vnasty » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:29 pm

@ Legal

That's what I'm saying. People really need to spend more time in game before they come to the forums. I don't even read suggestion thread anymore. Every idea is countered or solved by just playing. Other than solution to making rep worth the climb. Or fixing search. This app is pretty solid. Good job trixter & team, shut up & take my money :o

Silken

Post by Silken » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:41 pm

I like parts of this idea.

I mean the overall part about increasing time, sadly no. The game imho is already weighted in favour of the attacker. No base is unhackable, and generally, unless you go in with completely the wrong programmes, or you're punching above your weight you should win. Sometimes it comes down to just not having one certain type of program.

I just tried to hack a guy about 10 levels above me. Not impossible but any means, I got through all his defence but ran out of time at the resources. For two reasons - one my beams were a perhaps one level too low and second I didn't bother taking a ram and spent 10secs too long on a code gate.

An extra 10-20 secs and I would have got the resources. But it was my bad. A magical program adding 10 more seconds just makes it too easy for success.

However, I do like the idea of an enhance performance program overall. Affecting the programs on the node you place it on. Although I would hate to have try and balance that as a developer.

Your idea about a type of program placed on a Core is also pretty good. In the back of my head I've been thinking about a 'backdoor' program. I.e it's very expensive and you have to get 100% in all three objectives. But then you can leave a backdoor in their network and get a free hack. Would work in the same way retrace does. Just stays on a menu screen, maybe for a week, and you get to hack them again. :D
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

legal

Post by legal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Silken wrote:I like parts of this idea.

I mean the overall part about increasing time, sadly no. The game imho is already weighted in favour of the attacker. No base is unhackable, and generally, unless you go in with completely the wrong programmes, or you're punching above your weight you should win. Sometimes it comes down to just not having one certain type of program.

I just tried to hack a guy about 10 levels above me. Not impossible but any means, I got through all his defence but ran out of time at the resources. For two reasons - one my beams were a perhaps one level too low and second I didn't bother taking a ram and spent 10secs too long on a code gate.

An extra 10-20 secs and I would have got the resources. But it was my bad. A magical program adding 10 more seconds just makes it too easy for success.

However, I do like the idea of an enhance performance program overall. Affecting the programs on the node you place it on. Although I would hate to have try and balance that as a developer.

Your idea about a type of program placed on a Core is also pretty good. In the back of my head I've been thinking about a 'backdoor' program. I.e it's very expensive and you have to get 100% in all three objectives. But then you can leave a backdoor in their network and get a free hack. Would work in the same way retrace does. Just stays on a menu screen, maybe for a week, and you get to hack them again. :D
I like that Idea but I can see that being abused
Username: Legal
Level: 48 (12/25/16)
Core: 12
Highest reputation: meaningless
Highest world rank: meaningless
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:48 pm

Silken wrote:Your idea about a type of program placed on a Core is also pretty good. In the back of my head I've been thinking about a 'backdoor' program. I.e it's very expensive and you have to get 100% in all three objectives. But then you can leave a backdoor in their network and get a free hack. Would work in the same way retrace does.
Oh god yes, an added reward for going for the 100%. Stays there for a short period of time (single use or cooldown to stop abuse), or until they upgrade the Core - or devote a builder thread for 24 hours to reinstall a clean version. :P

Actually, using building threads to install temporary perks onto your nodes in general - small production buffs or preventing a small amount extra from being looted for business nodes. Faster/extended reach Guardian buffs. Code Gates that taunt every 3rd attack .... bah, this is why I don't look at ideas threads, my head gets out of control :P
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Bumbledolt

Post by Bumbledolt » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:38 am

CerberusArc wrote:Been a while since I've posted or thought too hard on the game. Figured I would bring up a new idea I had for review.

Thoughts?
Some clever stealth hacking and using a portal would solve your problem i guess.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
IGN-Bumbledolt
Level 21
Farming 0-200

CerberusArc

Post by CerberusArc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Glad this generated some discussion, even if my idea was shot down. I'll admit, it wasn't something that happens to be me a lot, but then again, I almost never go for the 100 percent hack. I am almost always using portal or Kracken. I simply skip over the bases that are not good targets for either ;)

In general, you are all probably right. It would just make attacking even easier than it is.

Silk, love your additional ideas that were generated from this.

1. A reward for 100 percent hack would be awesome. With reputation not being a reward (actually a punishment, lol) a 100 percent hack could come with other rewards. I could see the backdoor idea being abused, but perhaps the 100 percent reward could grant a bonus to the hacker such as increased resource generation speed or compile speed. It could also "unlock" something that is not otherwise available. I think the PERFECT scenario would be a special NPC hack that has lots of resources to steal (I'm looking at your Berliner Kreditbank). This target would be only unlocked on the next scan after a 100 percent hack.

VLarian

Post by VLarian » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Vnasty wrote:3 min hack is Plenty of time. Sometimes I end the hack early if the network is weak. Your idea is easily countered by upgrading your basic programs. With access and portal its dam near 5 min to hack a below average network. With upgraded compiler you can que 4 programs at time. With 3 upgraded library's you have over 200 program slots. I swear as mean as I come off do some of you even play this game, lol?

The idea posted by OP is not exactly a solution. What if it is considered only as an expansion of the existing Virus types. There will be a time when this game would need more Virus types and node types. I mean, the game is very functional now. But to increase the variety of hack types and to give a hacker so many choices would make the game more interesting.
Most hacks can be easily finished in the allotted time. Especially hybrid hacks. However, if a hacker chooses to have a playing style where he spends tons of B coins (it would have to be a lot) to get additional hacking time, then why not? It's a gamble anyway, like OP posted, to play safe he'd have to use the Time virus early in the hack, when he wouldn't know whether he actually requires it.