Two simple things that piss me off.

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
HCX - DReaD

Re: Two simple things that piss me off.

Postby HCX - DReaD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:20 pm

ofca wrote:ad 1 and 2) yeah, if you prefer your time to be wasted, then I agree - it's a matter of preference. I would like to waste my time on playing the game instead of managing silly features (hitting moving targets to see if they're worth to loot) or wait for animations to play out only to be presented with a notice that this one's a no go. Glad you at least agree with me on the second point. Oh, wait. You agree to not care. Oh, wait, both 1 and 2 pretty much boil down to the same. I don't get you.

ad 3)
if message saying that "network is under heavy load from an unknown hacker" is clear to you, then I envy you. To me it says that (some) network is under heavy load. Maybe the game's server is full, maybe there's a problem with my internet connection, or maybe the game is under maintenance. I'm glad you were presented with every possible message when you started playing, so you clearly knew that there's a different message for maintenance first time you've seen this one; I wasn't so lucky and I have not seen a message about maintenance yet. After playing for few days this message is now obvious to me too. What's different between us is: I try to see beyond point of my nose and understand that since the message confused me, it will confuse many others. But sure, "I know what it means, so I don't care about rest of the world" is also a valid point view.

ad 4)
Again, don't care either way. And legal's response about stealth countering this "problem", if one may call it that, pretty much solves it anyway.

1) 2) For 1, it doesn't bother me in my opinion, so for myself I don't really care whether there's an animation or not. For 2, I do think it will make a difference since it will reduce abit of time wasted and actually keeping you on the screen where you click, not returning you to home everytime. For you 1 and 2 are the same, for me it's not.

3) "network is under heavy load from an unknown hacker". If the pop up only told me "network is under heavy load" then I would assume either maybe this is the notification I get when I'm being hacked, or the server is full. I'm not presented with every possible message, but when I got those messages, it becomes clear from the text itself, no confusion whatsoever that would make me post a thread to suggest making them simpler. Either my common sense is too high or you're just trolling. Because the messages are really self-explanatory... and sure, "I don't know what it means, so I'm sure many others also don't understand them", which also a valid point, yes.

ofca

Postby ofca » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 pm

...or it just means authors wanted to keep error messages in sync with game's aesthetic and atmosphere. But yeah, changing it to for example:
'Your network is currently under heavy load from ongoing hacking attempt. Estimated time to network reset: 02m43s' would clearly be a change for the worse. Same thing with overall user experience. Some guy is satisfied with current state, so lets not improve things, because if others don't like it, they're clearly nitpicking.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I've given my feedback, my debt for being given a good game to play is paid. :)

LadTy

Postby LadTy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:56 pm

Don't worry we are obviously reading the whole thing all day long, some things were already under consideration, though nothing usually is as simple as it seems from the outside.

Just wanted to at least end the discussion about the 'not-so-clear' message when you are being hacked. More people seemed to be confused, so we directly included 'your' and also switched the 'under heavy load' part. In the end, this is already addressed in v1.006 (which is already out) and the whole thing is changed to "Could not establish a connection, your network is under attack from an unknown hacker." Although the original phrasing had a stronger, more realistic feel to it, we believe this should prevent future misunderstandings which is probably worth the change.

And one more thing: If you do not like multiple retraces... you really do not have to attack back when your victim retraces you after you attacked them. The whole thing is very much voluntary and is not possible when either of the parties do not agree and participate in it
11100000111O10000000001O10000000001O00010001000O00000100000O00000010000O00001000000O00010000000O10000000001O10000000001O11100000111

ofca

Postby ofca » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 am

Oh! A constructive response! So lets carry on after all.

I think multiple retraces are fine as they are right now. I wrote it after recently hacking someone, them hacking me back (and failing), which gave me another possibility to hack them for pretty much the same amount as on first time, which I thought was unfair -- but, like you've said, they had the option not to hack me again, or they could've attempted a stealth hack leaving me without an option to retrace. One thing about either party and whole thing being voluntary: it requires one side to admit defeat and that's not so easy :)

As to the message regarding being hacked while trying to logon, I've played many games and really the best you can do is the countdown thing. It also cuts down on ok/reconnect clicking cycle, since you'll get logged on ASAP by just waiting.

And please, *PLEASE*, fix the 1) and 2) - trivial changes, and it's pretty much only really painful thing for me right now. :)

Thanks for listening!

CerberusArc

Postby CerberusArc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:19 am

Okay, my 2 cents here. I actually think the problems here are aesthetic/convenience and that there are things that are MUCH more important that need tweaking and adding. However...

1. The animation thing is somewhat annoying, although if you can't remember who you hacked just because their named moved, maybe you should play more memory games ;)

2. I do think the notification for not being able to hack someone should be changed. I've already written extensively about this "people online problem" in general. This annoyance adds fuel to the fire here. I think the best solution would be to display openly on the world interface if a player is online. I mean literally put the words "online" next to the player's name. Dealing with people online while hacking is the number one thing that makes me swear at this game. I routinely get 2-3 out of the 5 people I scan "online". It is a massive annoyance, compounded by this aesthetic feature.

3. Your problems with the retrace have been addressed, I don't see anything else to add other than to design a better network that won't let your resources be stealth hacked. I only have 1 scanner, and I've had 7-10 people fail to stealth hack me in the last 3 days. It's actually a great source of passive reputation. I'm not actually going to explain how to do this...I would love to get 5k b coins off of ANYONE, and you will do nicely :lol:

4. Lady Ty already gave the only mention to the login that needs saying. I personally never found it to be an issue, although it does raise my blood pressure a little, it's not because it was ever confusing.

dfnuts

Postby dfnuts » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 am

Ummmm....dude, I think you need to look into some form of stress management. As it has already been pointed out, this is just a game.
We are a collective entity.
We are all and all is us.
We move throughout society influencing and creating thoughts as to navigate the intellectual collective through existence.
We are life, we are thought.

Bumbledolt

Postby Bumbledolt » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:25 pm

dfnuts wrote:Ummmm....dude, I think you need to look into some form of stress management. As it has already been pointed out, this is just a game.

Hmm finally a possible solution i will send him donation for his anger management classes.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
IGN-Bumbledolt
Level 21
Farming 0-200

ofca

Postby ofca » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:12 am

I've managed my anger fine, by venting it in this thread ;)

There's another big problem here... I've got 50k b-coins by stealth and now I have 0 rep. Not that I care that much about it, but: I've got what I wanted from the targets I hacked: their b-coins, yet game deemed this as a failure, because I ignored useless things like hacking cores to get readme access. Maybe one shouldn't lose rep if hack finished in access mode? (i.e. you weren't detected)

dfnuts

Postby dfnuts » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:21 am

Rep is awarded for three reasons.

1. Downloading the core.
2. Downloading all the resources.
3. Controlling the network (in this case by installing access on every node).

If you don't do any of these you will be failing the hack, no matter what your personal objective was.
We are a collective entity.
We are all and all is us.
We move throughout society influencing and creating thoughts as to navigate the intellectual collective through existence.
We are life, we are thought.

ofca

Postby ofca » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:26 pm

I know how the game works. That's the point of suggesting a change. I personally don't care about gaining rep at this point, but current state of things (losing rep on stealth farm hacks) causes lots of players to have 0 rep, level 8+ cores and pretty much unhackable networks for other people at low rep level, with exception of others doing the same thing (who won't waste time on your base given the fine choice of other soft targets)

Losing rep/rank/victory points/fame points/whatever-its-called-in-this-f2p-game-points is usually a valid tactic to make your game easy, hence developers tend to make it hard/grindy to reduce your ranking. Here they've actually made it fun ;)

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSION”