Battering Ram or Blaster?

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Luminaar

Re: Battering Ram or Blaster?

Post by Luminaar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Silken wrote:See, I would compare Level 3 Blaster to Level 1 Ram since they would both cost 40 B-Coin to make. I sort of always compare on cost, I'm pretty sure Blaster would win that match up. :D
Yup, I would too. It still doesn't win, (coming in at 24.75 seconds) but the decreased training time time cost more than makes up for it.

Anyways, I wasn't actually making a case either way, just providing information. :lol: Usually misguided information ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Bumbledolt

Post by Bumbledolt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:32 am

HCX - DReaD wrote:I'm conflicted between Battering Ram and Blaster to kill off Code Gates...

- Both need 5 seconds to actually deal damage (4 second charge and 1 second transit)
[EDIT]: 3.5 second charge for both

- Blaster deals less DPS but can stun the Code Gate if it already has antivirus installed. This helps when the node where we install the Blaster has weak firewall (like Compiler), so we don't need to install ICE or Protector on it for it to survive until the Gate destroyed. Blaster will need about 6 hits to destroy the Code Gate, and it's not only the Code Strength but also the Firewall, so approximately 24 seconds to destroy a Code Gate.

- Ram can destroy Code Gate's Code Strength in 4 hits, with 5 seconds each hit for the total of 20 seconds. But this won't destroy the Firewall, so we still need few seconds to install and attack with other programs to destroy the Firewall. Adding the 20 seconds from Ram, it could be around 23~26 seconds in total to destroy the Code Gate.

- Blaster needs half the resources and time compared to Ram.

- Ram will focus on the Gate, whilst Blaster will get distracted to target other node (if there's any) that has higher priority.

- Ram use 5 space while Blaster use 6 space, hardly any difference.

- Ram needs 2 seconds to install while Blaster 5 seconds.

Based on these I'm leaning more towards Blaster. What the seniors think? Would Ram actually become far better and overshadow Blaster in higher levels? I'm currently lv14.

Also as a side note, Seems Worm can't do diddly to Code Gate when the Code Strength still up (the "HP bar" just won't deplete).
Didn't read the everyone's reply but i suggest ram because when there are turrets or black ice connected to the nodes which connects with a CG i quickly deploy my ram on it while my beam cannons fight with security nodes which after fighting come to CG and quickly destroy the firewall so i see the ram more time efficient.
PS: Ignore my late reply if you already got your answer i usually float around in the General discussion topic. :lol:
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
IGN-Bumbledolt
Level 21
Farming 0-200

CerberusArc

Post by CerberusArc » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:46 am

Silken wrote: Personally I have no time for worms. Maybe with a Kraken attack to keep the training costs low. Have the Kraken rip through the base and the worms to mop up the sides. Or if you have low libraries to mop up at the end. Otherwise i think they are ridiculous. I had a level 42 attack me with level 10 worms when i was a level 26. He couldn't even get pass my first choke point. Completely useless attack.
Yeah, idk what to make of worms. They seem so cool, but they end up being so, so bad. Maybe if hacks had an extra 2 minutes, they could get something done, lol.

HCX - DReaD

Post by HCX - DReaD » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 am

CerberusArc wrote:Yeah, idk what to make of worms. They seem so cool, but they end up being so, so bad. Maybe if hacks had an extra 2 minutes, they could get something done, lol.
Maybe if they start replicating after installing, even while attacking? xD The problem with worms are they take too long and the base obviously will become more and more harder.

Worms are awesome at earlier levels, where the players has far less nodes compared to later levels. At later levels, it just won't do with worms since it will take too much time.

Jaystar

Post by Jaystar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:50 am

When you are fighting against a network with level 10+ sentries, I would highly recommend Blaster.
1 blaster and 2 beams is efficient to take down a high level codegate with antivirus. If you are using ram, you need to tank enough antivirus shots, meaning you might waste 1/2 icewalls depending on how long it takes.

I would pick Blaster over ram any day because it has the added effect of stun. I use blasters to get rid of choke points.
On a sentry choke point with 2 turrets and 1 black ice, you really need 2 slots for icewall, protector, leaving you only with 1 slot for offence. I use blaster in that slot because it packs the highest punch. It takes out 1 turret quite fast and that helps me push away from that choke point. It also freezes one of the attacking nodes on your sentry, therefore reducing the damage you have to tank.

TLDR: Blaster > Ram
IGN: Emperor.Jaystar
[C12] [LV60]
Current Occupation: Terminated Account

HCX - DReaD

Post by HCX - DReaD » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:14 am

Jaystar wrote:When you are fighting against a network with level 10+ sentries, I would highly recommend Blaster.
1 blaster and 2 beams is efficient to take down a high level codegate with antivirus. If you are using ram, you need to tank enough antivirus shots, meaning you might waste 1/2 icewalls depending on how long it takes.

I would pick Blaster over ram any day because it has the added effect of stun. I use blasters to get rid of choke points.
On a sentry choke point with 2 turrets and 1 black ice, you really need 2 slots for icewall, protector, leaving you only with 1 slot for offence. I use blaster in that slot because it packs the highest punch. It takes out 1 turret quite fast and that helps me push away from that choke point. It also freezes one of the attacking nodes on your sentry, therefore reducing the damage you have to tank.

For the point of using Blaster to take out security choke points yes I agree. But for defeating a Code Gate, according to Luminaar, Blaster would take more time compared to Ram tho. And time is just the thing we always need more, it seems xD

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:37 pm

HCX - DReaD wrote:For the point of using Blaster to take out security choke points yes I agree. But for defeating a Code Gate, according to Luminaar, Blaster would take more time compared to Ram tho. And time is just the thing we always need more, it seems xD
Do remember that my input was purely from a DPS output point of view and focussed on a specific level of Ram and Blaster. It didn't take into account variables such as needing to shield, stun effects on other Security Nodes, antivirus levels, Guardian shields (both for better and worse), or all the other shenanigans :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

CerberusArc

Post by CerberusArc » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 pm

HCX - DReaD wrote:
Jaystar wrote:When you are fighting against a network with level 10+ sentries, I would highly recommend Blaster.

For the point of using Blaster to take out security choke points yes I agree. But for defeating a Code Gate, according to Luminaar, Blaster would take more time compared to Ram tho. And time is just the thing we always need more, it seems xD
After reading this I tried a no Ram attack. I ran out of both time and attack programs and it was one of my all time worst hacks that should have been easy. Perhaps I made a mistake compared to others here, but I will NEVER try to break a base with more than 1 code gate without a ram ever again

HCX - DReaD

Post by HCX - DReaD » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:28 pm

CerberusArc wrote:
After reading this I tried a no Ram attack. I ran out of both time and attack programs and it was one of my all time worst hacks that should have been easy. Perhaps I made a mistake compared to others here, but I will NEVER try to break a base with more than 1 code gate without a ram ever again
Hmm, maybe at later levels, where you will need more nodes to take over, I believe programs that cut down time needed to capture a node will be prioritized over cheaper programs but takes longer time. Because for me right now, 1 Blaster is doing good even to enemies with 2 Code Gates. I usually have 10~20 seconds left when I finished my hack.

Tormented_soul

Post by Tormented_soul » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:54 am

@ higher levels ram is preferable its costly but faster.
You need to consider the time a blaster travels vs the time a ram travels to hit the target. Obviously ram is faster.
I combo up kraken and ram plus a shield on a 3 node choke point or at lower levels I just use kraken and shield.
if I can't use kraken I used blaster and Ram faster and efficient on 3 node choke point.

if someone had 3 turrets or 2 turrets and 1 Ice. easy I hit one of the turret first before refocusing on the code gate it takes one conquered node to take down a pool of defensive node with a shuriken then plant a worm on a black ice, let worm do all the talking while you take down the code gate.