Filter Online Players and Alternative Solution

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Luminaar

Re: Filter Online Players and Alternative Solution

Post by Luminaar » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:27 pm

CerberusArc wrote:I knew it was a long shot but figured I would throw the idea out there. I'm glad some progress was made.
The point definitely needed bringing up. As you mention, what happens seems so "wrong" that it's resulting in newer players thinking that it's a bug. The resulting cry of folks saying something that boils down to "Other players need to stop playing so I can play" (although the cheating accusations are going a bit far,) take me back to 28k modem days, not Ergo of the future times. Hopefully things can be amended to enable people to play against the types of networks they wish to, while keeping players safe from bullying and abuse.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

VLarian

Post by VLarian » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Armitek wrote:I want to write about user TOPoCAT Since I play this game he is 24/7 online and I tried to hack him about 100 times is this legal ?
I'd like to bump this post. TOPoCAT is always online. This user has probably never been hacked in the past few days/weeks.
If it's possible, please check into his activity. He has turned up in multiple searches if mine on different days and he's always online. Kinda makes it unfair.

Trickster
Site Admin

Post by Trickster » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:21 pm

VLarian wrote:This user has probably never been hacked in the past few days/weeks.
I checked, he was attacked twice today and seven times yesterday. Sounds fair enough to me.

VLarian

Post by VLarian » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Oh... alright. Had my suspicions.

90skushkid

Post by 90skushkid » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Trickster wrote:
VLarian wrote:This user has probably never been hacked in the past few days/weeks.
I checked, he was attacked twice today and seven times yesterday. Sounds fair enough to me.
I agree. there will be times when people wont just get attacked. like last nite for example usually when I go to sleep and wake up I get hit at least 4 times by the time I wake up. this morning I didn't get hit at all.
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Orchid-Mantis

Post by Orchid-Mantis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:35 pm

I also play Star Wars Commander and one thing done there is a partial solution; there is a built-in activity monitor of some sort. You have things set to 3 hours, that is crazy too much time, but partially makes sense with how long compiling takes. In SWC there are many sets of troops (programs here) that add up to 10-20 minutes of wait time, but then some special (NOT necessary, but useful, airstrikes and mercenaries) take additional time. None of these things change the 5 minute timeout, even when my phone is plugged in and stays on...if I don't touch my screen to show activity then I am disconnected. With these longer build times and only one compiler maybe the 3 hour limit could be reasonably lowered to 15-45 minutes, somewhere in there? I am not higher level, but at level 19 with Reputation 500 I would be comfortable with only a 10 minute timeout!

Thanks for reading.
Happy hacking!
~~«(mmmmm...D3L1c10u5!)»~~

frayedczar

Post by frayedczar » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Trickster wrote:
  1. Players with 9sec shield are filtered out after the new server update. (If not, please report)
  2. Players online for more than 3 hours can be attacked even though they are online (the game will disconnect them)
  3. We hear voices saying "online players should not appear in search", but for now we do not have a solution. If we remove these active accounts from search it would favour these all-the-time-online players. If they are online constantly and nobody can search them, there is no way they can be searched and hacked.
  4. Suggested solution with being able to hack even online players whenever other hacker decides to is not optimal user experience and would require complete rework of the game's internal structure.
  5. I am not saying that the search will remain as is, we just need to find a functional solution.

most definitely got 9sec search result today, also bummed at the number of repeats and active players in search algorithm. Still enjoying game though!

CerberusArc

Post by CerberusArc » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Orchid-Mantis wrote:I also play Star Wars Commander and one thing done there is a partial solution; there is a built-in activity monitor of some sort. You have things set to 3 hours, that is crazy too much time, but partially makes sense with how long compiling takes. In SWC there are many sets of troops (programs here) that add up to 10-20 minutes of wait time, but then some special (NOT necessary, but useful, airstrikes and mercenaries) take additional time. None of these things change the 5 minute timeout, even when my phone is plugged in and stays on...if I don't touch my screen to show activity then I am disconnected. With these longer build times and only one compiler maybe the 3 hour limit could be reasonably lowered to 15-45 minutes, somewhere in there? I am not higher level, but at level 19 with Reputation 500 I would be comfortable with only a 10 minute timeout!

Thanks for reading.
Happy hacking!
~~«(mmmmm...D3L1c10u5!)»~~
Yes, as I've said in some replies, 3 hours is excessive. Although there are some differences compared to how this system works and swc that you are describing.

First, the 3-hour window is not a simple time-out of the game. Even if you are actively playing the game at the 3 hour window, you will still get kicked if you are hacked. (I'm assuming you won't get kicked if you are in the middle of a hack, but otherwise you are booted off). This happened to me a few days ago. I actually thought I was being smart because I shut off the app for about 30 seconds, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't long enough to reset my timer. You will have to forgive. I was sitting on over a million money to upgrade core at the time. It's the only time I have actively "babysat" the game since I started playing.

After this incident my thoughts about the timing are kind of on the fence. The truth is that it takes soooo long to get enough resources for an upgrade like the core that I actually was actively playing the game for the 3 hours just to get enough. When you collect 60-100k money each hack, it takes 15-20 minutes to compile programs for the next hack, you would spend a very long time getting 1.5 million. If even a single hack breaks through my network, I could lose the equivalent of 2-3 hours of work. Since I can be hacked indefinitely with no "safe period" then I could potentially lose my resources faster than I can gather them. It is a problem.

This whole problem brings my back to one of my previous solutions. We need to have the ability to store more programs at once OR we need the ability to gather resources in an alternative way or both. More programs would allow us to perform a series of hacks before needing to wait for recompile. The time needed to compile would be unchanged, but at least if we could fit in 5-6 hacks instead of 1-2 hacks then we could push ourselves over a hump before needing to wait. The stress of holding onto over 1 million money knowing that half an evening's worth of work could be undone if you logged off is what causes people to be constantly online.

It does seem like the app will time out naturally after maybe 10 minutes or so. I've never put this through a rigorous test, but if you don't touch the screen at all, then the game will eventually log you off. If someone does have a definitive time for this, then post here.

Trickster
Site Admin

Post by Trickster » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:33 pm

:arrow: Since now players active for less than 3 hours are not included in search results.

This condition is removed in case there are not enough targets around. May appear in extreme combinations of Reputation and Level.

Silken

Post by Silken » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Trickster wrote::arrow: Since now players active for less than 3 hours are not included in search results.

This condition is removed in case there are not enough targets around. May appear in extreme combinations of Reputation and Level.
Can I ask.

If a person is offline and appears in your search. Whilst you build troops that person then comes online. Will he be removed from the world map, or will you just get the old message?

Just asking out of interest, as to what happens.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o