Request for faster program compilation.

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Barons

Request for faster program compilation.

Postby Barons » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:09 am

Hello,

I'd like to make a suggestion that I believe will keep many more people playing this game. I've recently started playing it and although it's a lot of fun I'm now at core level 4 and I have to wait about 30 minutes in between hacking. I'm guessing the trend of increasing wait times will grow even worse as more and higher lvl programs are unlocked. The problem with this method of paying the bills is that the game has no other mechanics to keep its players interested during the wait and there are countless clash of clans clones that your player base can switch to if this isn't adressed. I'm sure you are having a hard time keeping active players because of this. Speaking for myself I really enjoy the game play but I'm already considering uninstalling at core lvl 4 just because of the excessive wait between hacking.

To address this I have a few suggestions...

*Drastically reduce program compilation times. / Possibly by allowing building threads to be applied to the process. (I'd really like to buy building threads but a game that you can only play for 3 minutes out of 30 doesn't justify that for me.)

*Offset the loss of income this causes by increasing build time and/or cost of upgrading nodes.

*Begin development of community building features that will allow players to converse,compete, and form bonds during the necessary downtime between hacks.

Thank you for considering my suggestions I'd love to continue enjoying this game and invest in its further development but although the graphics are awesome staring at them for 20 to 30 minutes in between hacks is getting old really fast.

CerberusArc

Re: Request for faster program compilation.

Postby CerberusArc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:50 am

I very much agree with this. It is something I notice many players complaining about, and I myself have to wait at least 20 minutes between, and that's with an upgraded compiler.

I have read the comeback, that this time problem gets easier as you advance and upgrade the compiler. That is simply bs. Now at core level 7, nothing gets any faster. If anything it's gotten slower because it takes more programs to get through a base. Unless I could store about 250 worth of programs I wouldn't have enough for even 2 attacks.

This is the MOST SERIOUS issue in the game, and it will drive players away. There is nothing worse I can imagine for a game than feeling like you need to put it down after 5 minutes of play. I understand all games like this involve some amount of waiting that incentives the purchase of credits. However, this game does it to an excessive degree. Its not "pay to win" because there is nothing really to win. Ladder is pointless (a separate issue). It sometimes feels more like "pay to play" or at least play in any decent capacity. Fyi, that is NOT how you want to do it, devs. I hope this is realized.

Definitely need more things to do while waiting. Op's ideas are good.I really like the idea of putting building threads on the compiler to speed it up! A second compiler is good. Bottom line, there needs to be something to DO or it needs to be faster or both.

Ujnex

Postby Ujnex » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 am

Sadly I'm already in the hourly mark per hack, I'm upgrading the compiler now so lets hope that will halve the time

dfnuts

Postby dfnuts » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 am

After you upgrade your compiler to level two you will need to start to think about the order you add programmes to the compiling queue. If you do this right you can get you waiting times down as low as 15 minutes, like me.

Remember, everything in this game is strategy.
We are a collective entity.
We are all and all is us.
We move throughout society influencing and creating thoughts as to navigate the intellectual collective through existence.
We are life, we are thought.

M0ToR

Postby M0ToR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:51 am

dfnuts wrote:After you upgrade your compiler to level two you will need to start to think about the order you add programmes to the compiling queue. If you do this right you can get you waiting times down as low as 15 minutes, like me.

Remember, everything in this game is strategy.

Having 15 min compilation time only means that you don't compile much.
I have two threads in my compiler, it definitely helps, but it doesn't do miracles, just halves the compilation time at best.
With 80 places to fill and with the long compilation times like 8min Kraken, 10min Battering Ram, 15min Wraith it's enough to compile 4 x Kraken to get 16min compilation time with two threads. Add 10 x Ice Walls 2min each and you get 10 more minutes. Sequence them as you want you can't get less than half of the single-threaded total time. You can get more if one of your threads will idle for a few minutes in the end, but you can't get less.

I'm not sure compilation times should be shorter though, maybe they should. But instead/in addition I'd be glad if there were a way to store several batches of hacks, i.e. if databases were x3/x4 bigger at their current levels. This way you would wait longer for full compilation, but then you would have three-four shots in a row. Makes game/real-life timing more balanced.
To avoid hacking power increase by having a bigger arsenal there could still be a limit on how many programs you can take with you for a hack, e.g. RAM = 80, HDD = 320, you compile to HDD, then load a subset to RAM and go hack.

Vnasty

Postby Vnasty » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:15 am

Im sitting at 2-5 days before I can even play really. I have 5 threads building. Last night I hacked about a million cash in a few hours. Thinking I could get a head start to when I log in and lol. I just put a target on my back. Was hacked non stop. Ive been playing three weeks now. Great game but the further I get the more I seem to wait. About to unlock my 4th compiler slot, hope that changes things. I can't pay to play. Already threw some money at this app. Its too early to invest more till some updates roll out or something changes.

samgyeop

Postby samgyeop » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Once you get a third compiler it takes an average of 5-10min to finish compiling now :D

CerberusArc

Postby CerberusArc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:26 pm

samgyeop wrote:Once you get a third compiler it takes an average of 5-10min to finish compiling now :D

Sorry, but that is simply bs.

I'm not saying you are lying, however, that time is an impossibility if you are using advanced programs. Programs like wraith and kraken have 15+ minute compiling times. You could have 100 compiler slots and it wouldn't make the time any faster. Now, the time for these programs in and of themselves is not that much of an issue. However, you are not just going to compile 3 krackens and be ready for an attack. You have to add to that about 7 ice walls, 20 beam cannons, maybe a ram and few other things. After you get ready for a "real" attack at advanced levels you are STILL looking at 20-30 minute times, and it wouldn't matter even if you have 5 slots.

I might spend 20k money doing 4 or 5 searches looking for a target that doesn't require the full arsenal, but I prefer to actually play the game and not spend all my money trying to cherry pick and then complain that I can't make a profit. I make a decent profit on pretty much every attack, but it takes almost my entire arsenal, and then it's back to 20-30min (I've gotten as high as 50 min if I need wraiths, too) of waiting.

samgyeop

Postby samgyeop » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:01 am

CerberusArc wrote:
samgyeop wrote:Once you get a third compiler it takes an average of 5-10min to finish compiling now :D

Sorry, but that is simply bs.

I'm not saying you are lying, however, that time is an impossibility if you are using advanced programs. Programs like wraith and kraken have 15+ minute compiling times. You could have 100 compiler slots and it wouldn't make the time any faster. Now, the time for these programs in and of themselves is not that much of an issue. However, you are not just going to compile 3 krackens and be ready for an attack. You have to add to that about 7 ice walls, 20 beam cannons, maybe a ram and few other things. After you get ready for a "real" attack at advanced levels you are STILL looking at 20-30 minute times, and it wouldn't matter even if you have 5 slots.

I might spend 20k money doing 4 or 5 searches looking for a target that doesn't require the full arsenal, but I prefer to actually play the game and not spend all my money trying to cherry pick and then complain that I can't make a profit. I make a decent profit on pretty much every attack, but it takes almost my entire arsenal, and then it's back to 20-30min (I've gotten as high as 50 min if I need wraiths, too) of waiting.

I dont find the need to waste wraiths and stealth attacks because beams/walls/krakens are sufficient for me that gets the job done. Wraith is an absolute waste of my total cost of production.

Also at the moment I have 100 slots available. I dont need to fully use 100 slots of viruses to successfully hack others. I usually need about an average of 75-82 to get the job done. While I am attacking, I premake the viruses that take a lot of time which shaves off 3 minutes.

The more harder bases I spend maybe up to 15-20 minutes but thats it. I dont have to rely on time costly programs such as wraith that takes 15 minutes per 1 to compile, to take down a simple code gate or some def thats on choke points. Most bases are simply enough for me to brute force.

Theres also the factor that when I finish attacking I have many left over viruses. 5-15 beams / 2-5 walls. That also saves me time from having to replenish my viruses.

By the way, what the fuck is with your attitude. It may take you 30+ minutes but I have my own style of attacking which takes me less time. I dont really complain about losing profit, I find bases within 3-5 searches.

Silken

Postby Silken » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:09 am

samgyeop wrote:I dont find the need to waste wraiths and stealth attacks because beams/walls/krakens are sufficient for me that gets the job done. Wraith is an absolute waste of my total cost of production.

Also at the moment I have 100 slots available. I dont need to fully use 100 slots of viruses to successfully hack others. I usually need about an average of 75-82 to get the job done. While I am attacking,[b] I premake the viruses that take a lot of time which shaves off 3 minutes.

Have to agree with this. People are over training. I'm level 28, so I'm mainly attacking bases between levels 21-26. All it takes is 2 Blasters, 4 Ice Walls and on average 30 Cannons. Whereas I can train 4 Blasters, 8 Ice Walls and 50 Cannons in about 20 mins. So I'm basically training an attack in about 10 minutes, actually less because the other half of my attack is training in the background. This is with 2 compilers and 90 program spaces.

If I need 2 Krakens I drop the Blasters, since Krakens eat through Code Gates. So having Krakens only adds 4 mins to the training time.

Wraiths are high end programs, I wouldn't even think to use one unless attacking someone 20 levels above me. But since I can farm all the low hanging fruit at level 21-26 and get 60k a pop. I normally don't even bother with them.

Add to that people are just making stupid attacks. I can't defend against Krakens yet, so I have my core next to a Net Connector. Yet I still see people attack me with 3 Krakens. 24mins of training time, when 1 Cannon would have done the job....crazy.

And don't get me started on people who attack only my core, leave a message and then log off with 300k plus (90k-100k profit) sitting in their Database.

I've only had about 6 people beat my base in the 3 weeks I've been playing (Resources and Core). All of them only used Blasters, Ice Walls and Cannons. Apart from one guy who used Access and Leechs, when I foolishly had both scanners upgrading at the same time.

I can't see me complaining about training times for a long time.

The only program I would have an issue with is Manic. 30mins is way too long. But having said that it looks a completely OP virus, so maybe that isn't a bad thing.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSION”