Ice Wall Analysis

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Jaystar

Ice Wall Analysis

Post by Jaystar » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:24 pm

From my analysis in just ICEWALL lvl 1 to 4, you can see it becomes less and less efficient to upgrade the program for a very diminishing return in buffer size. Anything beyond level 2 at this moment, is a waste of Bcoin.
Let me explain my numbers:
At level 2, you gain 24% extra buffer size for a 87% in production cost. This seems fair enough.
At level 3, you gain 36% extra buffer size compared to level 1 but for a WHOOPING 275% extra production cost.
And at level 4, you only gain an extra 50% effectiveness but at an extra 650% production cost.
I'm sure Level 5/6/7 and beyond are even worse. In my opinion, it is more worth it to buy 2 ICEWALL level 2 than to get 1 ICEWALL level 3. The only subtle difference is the amount of space it requires in your library. But library limit is not a big issue after you get your second library.

If you look at my S/C% performance indicator, the higher you level up, the lower effect you gain per level. The S/C% halves everytime you level up. So I can predict that the D/C% for level 5 will be around 4%. It might as well become a negative income because it takes more to produce your program suite than you get from attacks. The main problem is the cost scale from level 2 onward and you could even blame the initial high buffer increase at level 2 for faults.

I believe ICEWALL needs a total rebalance.
So my second table is my proposed rebalance for ICEWALL.

I have changed the level 2 buffer increase to make the transition smoother from level 2 to 3.
If you look at my S/C% indicator, it shows it doesn't drop by half every level. It drops fairly slowly and it rewards the player a fair progression. I'm sure a lot of high end players are complaining about paying 90 Bcoins for an ICEWALL, and currently I'm staying at lvl 2 to avoid this massive Bcoin pitfall. So guys! What do you think? Let's discuss!

Thanks for Silken for the ICEWALL stats!
IGN: Emperor.Jaystar
[C12] [LV60]
Current Occupation: Terminated Account

samgyeop

Re: Ice Wall Analysis

Post by samgyeop » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:37 pm

ICE WALL level 4 is needed to hack core level 7 if people decide to put drones next to scanners. You wont benefit if its any lower as it will seem impossible to hack core level 7s without an upgrade. I've seen a heavy cash user break through my base and he has ICE WALL level 8. Throughout the whole attack that player only used 4 compared to others using like 10-12 level 4 ICE WALL.

My issue is that ICE-WALL becomes much more expensive and needs a balance in terms of cost.

Jaystar

Post by Jaystar » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:49 pm

I do understand that higher level ICEWALL is required for higher level hacks, but at this current rate, I assume ICEWALL lvl8 would cost around 180 Bcoins. And this is why I revamped the strength/production cost for all the levels of ICEWALL.
[C12] [LV60]

samgyeop

Post by samgyeop » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:14 pm

From my knowledge of using the ICE-WALL it seems all right. Core 6 tier ICE-WALL is able to handle Core 7 tier defenses pretty well. Any buffs would seem too over powering.

Jaystar

Post by Jaystar » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:57 pm

If you have a look at my tables, I'm not suggesting any buffs. I'm adjusting the production cost to make it more relevant to it's buffer size.
The new buffer size is around the same as the old ICEWALL BUT I have significantly reduced the production cost... My main focus in this post is to suggest a rebalance of the cost of ICEWALL, not the buffer size, I barely touched it.

I made it so that each level of ICEWALL is more progressive in nature. There is less bumps and hills and it is more fair for the lower level player.
[C12] [LV60]

Silken

Post by Silken » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:58 pm

Unfortunately all you have proven is that we get diminishing returns when upgrading. i.e for each 10% increase in defence - costs a 100% increase in B-Coin and that's sort of how these game work.

But that is not to say it isn't balanced and needs a change. You would have to compare to the damage increase in Turrets, Black Ice and Sentries and take into account the number of Node Connections and Library space as well, or the game becomes unbalanced.

At higher levels the diminishing returns may reduce (not really sure how to put that in correct English), but what I mean is that at higher levels for a 10% increase it may only cost an 75% not 100%.

Plus you then have to balance with the Protector Program and Guardian, which gives a percentage regeneration and I'm not sure if this in isolation or includes Ice Walls.

And we also get the free B-Coin from Mines which again reduce the diminishing returns.

It's good work, but not sure it it means anything yet, in term of balancing. :?
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o