Remove the chat function

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
theintelligentboy

Re: Remove the chat function

Post by theintelligentboy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Sibernetika wrote:Please I beg you if there is a mute option just release it already.. Yes we can report spammer and abusive behaviour, but we can't report trolls staying within the limits, its getting nerve wrecking when the trolls come with their earth is flat bullshit and 3 hours later its still going on, I would usually chat to the people while I'm playing but now hack compile and leave the game to go do something else instead until I remember about my compile 1 hour later, yeah sure ignore the trolls is easy but now I have to ignore 3/4 off the chat room as well since not all of them gets the hint to just ignore the troll.. For the love of god just give us a mute button
Its November and they don't seem to care anything.

Ego

Post by Ego » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:08 am

Luminaar wrote:
Sibernetika wrote:I like to press a ban button lol
Given the various tensions that exist, I do fear that having player moderators would cause more harm than good! Not only that, but the system to allow moderator powers, make it secure, and all that jazz would also need to be implemented.

Still, it is a shame that devs also have to deal with this sort of thing manually. The internet is what is is though. :P
TheLurkingRage wrote:that would be unnecessary if they did implement a mute button
An automated moderation system is being implemented. There's also the possibility of additional social interactions (ya know, friends list, mutes, personal messages etc) coming at some point in the future.
I couldn't help but to notice how old this post is. Has there been any progress? It's obvious that reporting players in chat does nothing. How can someone spam gibberish that nobody can understand for HOURS and not get removed from chat. It's really outrageous that the only in game interaction we have is crap because nobody is watching. Alright...all you people know is money right? Well here's a million dollar idea. Sell the mute button option in the black market! Put it right after the credit purchases and charge $100! Here's the fun part! Soon as you get that all set, open your online business account and watch as it grows by at least $1 mil US in about 8.6 seconds. There ya go. Million dollar idea for free. You can have that. It's all yours.
P.S. Mute button please!
P.S.S. Love the game. Chat sucks though.

theintelligentboy

Post by theintelligentboy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Ego wrote:
Luminaar wrote:
Sibernetika wrote:I like to press a ban button lol
Given the various tensions that exist, I do fear that having player moderators would cause more harm than good! Not only that, but the system to allow moderator powers, make it secure, and all that jazz would also need to be implemented.

Still, it is a shame that devs also have to deal with this sort of thing manually. The internet is what is is though. :P
TheLurkingRage wrote:that would be unnecessary if they did implement a mute button
An automated moderation system is being implemented. There's also the possibility of additional social interactions (ya know, friends list, mutes, personal messages etc) coming at some point in the future.
I couldn't help but to notice how old this post is. Has there been any progress? It's obvious that reporting players in chat does nothing. How can someone spam gibberish that nobody can understand for HOURS and not get removed from chat. It's really outrageous that the only in game interaction we have is crap because nobody is watching. Alright...all you people know is money right? Well here's a million dollar idea. Sell the mute button option in the black market! Put it right after the credit purchases and charge $100! Here's the fun part! Soon as you get that all set, open your online business account and watch as it grows by at least $1 mil US in about 8.6 seconds. There ya go. Million dollar idea for free. You can have that. It's all yours.
P.S. Mute button please!
P.S.S. Love the game. Chat sucks though.

That was hilarious. I enjoyed every single roasting sentence of yours :lol:
This game is so broke at this point that nobody cares, not even the developers.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Ego wrote:It's obvious that reporting players in chat does nothing. How can someone spam gibberish that nobody can understand for HOURS and not get removed from chat.
I can assure you that reporting players in chat does do *something* :D

The reason it gets left for hours sometimes is that that are times when the Chat UI isn't constantly under observation. This can happen at times while TA members are focussed on other things (ya know, like creating content - yes, really.)

It's no secret that the Chat UI is a pretty barebones experience though, with very little in the way of moderation that can be performed through it. If a "Mute Player" button in the way you described was possible to implement, I'm certain it would have been added already!

As for the $100 price tag, maybe give Activision a try :) If they can sell targeting reticules for $1-2, a whole button must be worth $100 to them :D

P.S. Understood!
P.P.S. Thanks! We know :(
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

funez1

Post by funez1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Hackers compared to EA and Activision. Bruh. This is really nothing. And I find it useless since there's discord and twitter. I'd say gameplay and content would be of higher priority than a dumb mute button. As if it were useful. Maybe try discord to communicate or another communicative app. I don't use the in game chat at all. I find it somewhat useless

Ego

Post by Ego » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:24 pm

Luminaar wrote:I can assure you that reporting players in chat does do *something* :D
Oh I see. Your assurance is comforting. Well thank you for clearing that up. Just out of curiosity... what? I mean what does it do? Like what's the process? In detail if you don't mind. I only ask because I've hit that report button so many times over this last year, I'm surprised I haven't been banned for misuse!
Luminaar wrote:The reason it gets left for hours sometimes is that that are times when the Chat UI isn't constantly under observation. This can happen at times while TA members are focussed on other things (ya know, like creating content - yes, really.)

It's no secret that the Chat UI is a pretty barebones experience though, with very little in the way of moderation that can be performed through it. If a "Mute Player" button in the way you described was possible to implement, I'm certain it would have been added already!

As for the $100 price tag, maybe give Activision a try :) If they can sell targeting reticules for $1-2, a whole button must be worth $100 to them :D

P.S. Understood!
P.P.S. Thanks! We know :(
You've got some excellent points there. Very intelligent response and with some very good comebacks too. Well done.
I believe you just might be smarter than me and are obviously better at arguing than I am. Maybe you have had more practice than I have? Anyways, as proficient as you may be at defending this issue, pretty much anything you say can be trumped by a simple fact. Look at the date on the original post.
I don't know TA or how it's run. I am sure there is time and resource issues (all companies that put out quality work have them). The time it's taken for a seemingly simple issue feels excessive.
Also, it's not my job to give my opinion. I'm not being paid for the time I've taken write this. I know I can get a bit overzealous with my opinions sometimes, but showing some appreciation for community opinions wouldn't be a bad idea. TA does lean on the community a bit at times. I'm sure that helps save a couple bucks.
So, if you don't mind, I'd love something more than an intelligently written argument in defense of a long known issue that, from my point of view, seems like an easy fix especially in the time that's passed. Why are players being allowed to maliciously spam in public chat, seemingly, without any immediate(or reasonably timed) consequences? Your above answer sounds like a best guess about what you would like to believe is going on, but really you have no clue. Just the facts please. Or keep your silence if you don't know.

This is my attempt to push an issue, I feel, that should be a little higher on the priority list.

I believe something more should be said here. I like this game. I did not develop it (not that smart) but I do feel a sense of ownership. This game is mine. Like it belongs to all of us. I play it on my phone and it's the only game, or app for that matter, that I have installed on this phone in the time I've had it. I'll try to protect it to a point and anyone that wants to promote and protect this game is on my side.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Ego wrote:You've got some excellent points there. Very intelligent response and with some very good comebacks too.
Thanks. Any points I make aren't intended to be retorts, comebacks or anything like that ... I'm simply sharing what information I have in order to shed a bit of light on topics where possible. :)
Ego wrote:Just out of curiosity... what? I mean what does it do? Like what's the process?
In detail, the report button records details of the reported chat message itself, the player who's message was reported, and the player making the report in the database, marking the "incident" for further manual investigation.

Worth noting at this point is we don't take any automated action against reported players, as the reality is - and this may be surprising to "normal" reporters of bullies/spam/vulgarity etc - we get a hugely disproportionate number of reports for "standard" messages such as "Hi", "How do I do X", "Greetings from [location]" (in a different countries chat) etc ... perfectly allowable posts that fill the reports list much, much faster than "genuine" reports.
Ego wrote:Why are players being allowed to maliciously spam in public chat, seemingly, without any immediate(or reasonably timed) consequences?
In addition to manually processing the large number of reports we receive, reports in the majority of other languages also have to be individually translated, which doesn't always provide us with an accurate translation.

If - between varying languages, spellings and grammar - deciphering what is being said wasn't time consuming enough, reports are also reviewed for the surrounding context of the conversation that had taken place, to ensure that (for example) we're not banning "friendly banter" because a third party didn't like the conversation that had taken place. The due dilligence that is taken when reviewing reports can inevitably result in reports taking a substantial amount of time to resolve.
Ego wrote:I don't know TA or how it's run. I am sure there is time and resource issues (all companies that put out quality work have them).
TA is primarily just a 2-man team, consisting of 1 developer and 1 programmer. Between them, they manage every aspect of game development - design, development, programming, production, marketing, maintenance ... the whole works.
Ego wrote:I'd love something more than an intelligently written argument in defense of a long known issue that, from my point of view, seems like an easy fix especially in the time that's passed. The time it's taken for a seemingly simple issue feels excessive.
The incorrect assumption/expectation of "seemingly simple" and "easy fix" is always where it goes wrong xD As only facts will do, here's the programmer's response when asked about adding a mute button:
I was thinking of a good way for it, and if it should be there or not. Obviously it requires another button in the UI for mute, but my main concern is it needed a whole new set of UI elements and UX interactions for managing the muted contacts. Like, when you mute someone, do you have muted them forever? Unlikely. So then you have to present a whole new management system where you go through the people you muted and you have to be able to unmute them, and that already starts to be too big (this is also before the server functions for all this, as well as per player.)
In addition to this, there's also other considerations, such as a lighter "session muting" etc, but the inevitability of it is that players are always going to be able to create "spam accounts" faster than other players can mute them. Ultimately, a "lesser idea" would certainly make things easier on the programmer/server load, but possibly wouldn't be "good enough" given the control that players want over what messages they see. :P
Ego wrote:I like this game. I did not develop it, but I do feel a sense of ownership. This game is mine. Like it belongs to all of us.
I'm happy to hear you feel this way! The desire to create enjoyable experiences for players is a core part of why TA make games in the first place. :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Ego

Post by Ego » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:09 pm

You're really good at this aren't you. You gave everything I asked for and more. As I was reading I was imagining you thinking "this should shut him up!". Well if that had been a thought, it was correct. That should about do it. :D
I've been a moderator before (not a paid position) so I thought I knew more about the process. I was wrong. I was part of a much larger team capable of a tremendous load. I had no idea how small the company is.
I started to break your response down and offer comments and suggestions but it feels like anything else said would be a waste of everyone's time.
I'm disappointed with the way things are but at least I have a better understanding of what's going on. Actually, this explains a couple other things that I see as well.
I thank you sincerely for your time and professionalism.

TheLurkingRage

Post by TheLurkingRage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:34 am

Mute option will be added to the game on 04/01/2020 :lol:
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage

theintelligentboy

Post by theintelligentboy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Ego wrote:You're really good at this aren't you. You gave everything I asked for and more. As I was reading I was imagining you thinking "this should shut him up!". Well if that had been a thought, it was correct. That should about do it. :D
I've been a moderator before (not a paid position) so I thought I knew more about the process. I was wrong. I was part of a much larger team capable of a tremendous load. I had no idea how small the company is.
I started to break your response down and offer comments and suggestions but it feels like anything else said would be a waste of everyone's time.
I'm disappointed with the way things are but at least I have a better understanding of what's going on. Actually, this explains a couple other things that I see as well.
I thank you sincerely for your time and professionalism.
That's the problem why this game stopped growing. They always defend themselves with their fancy explanation and never listened to the community's suggestions. Now you can see that too.