buff shocker, protector; nerf sentry - seriously

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
jlp1528

buff shocker, protector; nerf sentry - seriously

Postby jlp1528 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Shocker is currently useless midgame with the weak scanner meta, among others. Even if you manage to get it to fully install so it actually does its job, it still... doesn't. The node still gets taken back over by the sentry packets still in the pipes. At the very least, it needs to install faster... like 0.1 seconds instead of 0.5. not exaggerating. And kill sentry packets on the connection lines.

And yeah, sentry is overpowered. Seriously. All you need is one strong sentry and a level 1 scanner choke point (or other weak node, doesn't matter) and you are literally all but impossible to hack midgame. Why? Because again, even if you manage to install a protector in the time the nodes are shocked, you still need to use an ice wall or once the protector dies, the node is literally instantly retaken from ONE SET OF SENTRY PACKETS. But that only leaves one slot for an attack program. And regarding the protector, it should get a regen buff much the same way worms got a replication time buff each level. Because it too is almost useless.

Put it this way: it's gotten to the point where you are essentially unhackable because you use the weak scanner/strong sentry meta, or you're not using it and everyone can hack you. This is crap. Isn't creatively designing a network supposed to be part of the fun? Well... right now it's not. The only way to win is to copy everyone else...

TheLurkingRage

Re: buff shocker, protector; nerf sentry - seriously

Postby TheLurkingRage » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:38 am

The problem seems to be that you have weak programs. No one is unhackable, although some smurf minmaxer bases are pretty hard for their level. You struggle to take on a sentry because you don't have enough experience, but trust when I say that with practice, even maxed out sentry becomes a walk in the park to deal with. Shocker and protector don't need a buff - you simply have to level them up and keep up with the kind of bases that you're hacking.

What are your program levels and disk space? Level and rep info too please, to better help you get through the tough time you're having hacking.
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage

PerseVerAnce

Postby PerseVerAnce » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:22 am

mfw people calling for Shocker and Protector buff when I'm having trouble dropping a Protector with the damage of Sentry 21 on Turret 21, Turret 20, and Turret 17 plus a Code Gate combined.
Last edited by PerseVerAnce on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level 61
Highest Rank Achieved: Elite
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/PerseVerAncee

Zavok

Postby Zavok » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 am

PerseVerAnce wrote:mfw people calling for Shocker and Protector buff when I'm having trouble dropping a Protector with the damage of a Sentry 21, Turret 21, Turret 20, and Turret 17 plus a Code Gate combined.

naw just be low level

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 am

jlp1528 wrote:Shocker is currently useless midgame with the weak scanner meta
LOLWHAT? :lol: Mid-game is when the Shockers starts to become really good. Scanner chokes are precisely what Shockers counter.

jlp1528 wrote:At the very least, it needs to install faster... like 0.1 seconds instead of 0.5.
That's enough time to install a shocker before the node takes any damage - though you might need to also install an ice wall so the one hit of AV that slips through won't capture the node.

jlp1528 wrote:even if you manage to install a protector in the time the nodes are shocked
Don't use both protectors and shockers on a node. They do completely opposite things and don't synergize with each other:

[8:37 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: I wanted to stick with wall2 on eepoY
[8:37 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: but I don't think it's possible to set up protector with it
[8:38 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: as in actually impossible based on the amount of overkill damage that leaks through from sentry21 and the 0.5s install time for wall
[8:43 AM] El_Hacker C8L25: But to set up prot against L21 AV, you'd need: Walls + shocker
[8:43 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: it's a waste to use shocker and protector on the same node
[8:43 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: that's my rule
[8:47 AM] El_Hacker C8L25: Why? Compile time waste?
[8:48 AM] El_Hacker C8L25: Space?
[8:49 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: yeah that's part of it
[8:49 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: c.ompile 3i3
[8:49 AM] CompileBot:
Programs:
3x IceWall L3
Compilation time with 4 threads: 2m0s (1 credits)
Compilation Cost: 90 b-coins
Disk space: 6
[8:49 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: c.ompile 1S5
[8:50 AM] CompileBot:
Programs:
1x Shocker L5
Compilation time with 4 threads: 8m0s (4 credits)
Compilation Cost: 85 b-coins
[8:50 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: the other part is shocker is better used to go fast
[8:50 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: protector is for slow long fights
[8:51 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: no reason to use two opposite programs on the same node
[8:52 AM] El_Hacker C8L25: I see, u r right
[8:53 AM] El_Hacker C8L25: Guess i like long fights with protectors xd
[9:09 AM] ZotacéÈcatoz: Usual tactic. Shocker below 7 is a waste, as Yopee said with shuriken below level 10
[9:09 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: ^
[9:10 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: although I know gamer has shocker5 and it seemed back when he was still playing, he could use it just fine
[9:38 AM] Pixie: Leech 21
[9:38 AM] Pixie: :MVP:
[9:46 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: actually there is one situation where I would use shocker instead of walls to setup protector
[9:46 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: guardian choke with gate
[9:47 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: those take 4 or 5 walls to set up protector
[9:47 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: so if I'm gathering coins, then I would use shocker(edited)
[9:47 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: still try to use walls if I'm gathering money(edited)
[8:49 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: c.ompile 5i3
[9:48 AM] CompileBot:
Programs:
5x IceWall L3
Compilation time with 4 threads: 4m0s (2 credits)
Compilation Cost: 150 b-coins
Disk space: 10
[8:49 AM] Blaster Master Queen Yߌذee: c.ompile 1S10
[9:48 AM] BOTCowBot:
Programs:
1x Shocker L10
Compilation time with 4 threads: 8m0s (4 credits)
Compilation Cost: 180 b-coins

jlp1528 wrote:you still need to use an ice wall or once the protector dies
Upgrade your freaking programs, dude! A protector that doesn't protect is worthless.

jlp1528 wrote:once the protector dies, the node is literally instantly retaken from ONE SET OF SENTRY PACKETS. But that only leaves one slot for an attack program.
Plan ahead for that.

jlp1528 wrote:And regarding the protector, it should get a regen buff much the same way worms got a replication time buff each level. Because it too is almost useless.
As you upgrade the protector, its buffer gains more health pseudo-exponentially. The regeneration rate is percentage based. That means a protector's regeneration gets exponentially stronger right along with the buffer. If you throw the numbers into Excel, you'll see that protectors don't need a buff. Like... at all. If you compare the three defense programs, you'll see ice walls are in need of a buff way, WAY more than protectors.

In short: upgrade your programs and then see if you can tell me with a straight face that shocker and protector need buffs.
Hell_Diguner - C12L39, Had C12L29 (world record), Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C12L38, Worms+Maniac main
CaptainDavyJones - C12L39, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main

crack

Postby crack » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Lol all these posts above prove this game needs a major rethink all the devs aims r lost eg use different programs, climb the rep rank, lvl up. I totally agree with the simple reply by TLR. Dam lmao
Neither of these!!! Pay 2 Win /Smurf /Minmaxer :shock: Definitely these!!! 0$ dude/ TP/ RHG/Play by the ROE/Friendly/& an ass *donkey) lol

Mchief

Postby Mchief » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:23 pm

jlp1528 wrote:Shocker is currently useless midgame with the weak scanner meta, among others. Even if you manage to get it to fully install so it actually does its job, it still... doesn't. The node still gets taken back over by the sentry packets still in the pipes. At the very least, it needs to install faster... like 0.1 seconds instead of 0.5. not exaggerating. And kill sentry packets on the connection lines.

And yeah, sentry is overpowered. Seriously. All you need is one strong sentry and a level 1 scanner choke point (or other weak node, doesn't matter) and you are literally all but impossible to hack midgame. Why? Because again, even if you manage to install a protector in the time the nodes are shocked, you still need to use an ice wall or once the protector dies, the node is literally instantly retaken from ONE SET OF SENTRY PACKETS. But that only leaves one slot for an attack program. And regarding the protector, it should get a regen buff much the same way worms got a replication time buff each level. Because it too is almost useless.

Put it this way: it's gotten to the point where you are essentially unhackable because you use the weak scanner/strong sentry meta, or you're not using it and everyone can hack you. This is crap. Isn't creatively designing a network supposed to be part of the fun? Well... right now it's not. The only way to win is to copy everyone else...

<Insert evil maniacal laugh followed by awkward coughing>

If you can't take a network when using shocker you are not doing it right, others on these forums will know that shocker is a particular thorn in my side as it is the one offence program that has no defence, my network is routinely breached by players brining 12+ shockers at level 8+ and I might as well not have defences at all for the good they do.

Protector regenerates it's firewall at a rate of 7% a second so if you are dealing with say 3 nodes with sentry lvl 21 @ level 11 protector you regen half the incoming damage with a buffer of 13 seconds to take an attacking node before the protector dies, combine that with an initial shocker and some attack programs and you should have at least one node captured, if not you are attacking targets way to high a level for you.

vinyl5001

Postby vinyl5001 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:27 pm

It seems you didn't check shuriken program at all. Or I dont know why a couple of sentries so bad for you
CORE 7 LVL
25 LVL
REP 500+
In-game: Frol

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSION”