/help/bug report

Cassiopeia

Re: /help/bug report

Post by Cassiopeia » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:32 pm

The "Go to Next Shard" button option is sending me to a lot of shards I already completed this week, even though there are plenty of shards I haven't done yet. I am constantly having to exit back to the main screen and manually select a new shard. It's bothersome.

Also, if I go to the shards of a person I am Following, play on of their shards, and then click on the "Go to Next Shard" button, I am not sent to another one of there shards. I should be. That is where I navigated to start my play session.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:42 am

Cassiopeia wrote:The "Go to Next Shard" button option is sending me to a lot of shards I already completed this week, even though there are plenty of shards I haven't done yet.
Thanks for the report - we do try and avoid this. :)

After pressing the 'next shard' button, a number of applicable shards are offered up randomly. One of them is then picked from the selection based on other criteria, the main one being "are there orbs or glory available from it". Given the initial random selection when finding applicable shards (for example, if all the shards randomly selected have been cleared,) there is the possibility of getting a 'completed' one as the selection.
Cassiopeia wrote:Also, if I go to the shards of a person I am Following, play on of their shards, and then click on the "Go to Next Shard" button, I am not sent to another one of there shards. I should be. That is where I navigated to start my play session.
Selecting a random shard from a playlist has a similar chance of providing an undesireable effect, such as when a playlist contains shards of substantially different difficulty levels. If you're looking to head back to the same playlist, pressing the 'tick' button instead will take you back to the profile you were previously at.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

MycroftHolmes

Post by MycroftHolmes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:40 am

Far be it for me to poke my nose into your coding methods, but wouldn't applying the "does the shard provide orbs or glory?" switch function during the batch selection process make more sense, then randomize which one from those is finally chosen?
Author of:
  • Top Shards: The Dark Path, Warehouse District, The Bandits' Hideout
  • Campaign: Vetting the Initiate (25)
  • Campaign: Greatest Hits (21)

Cassiopeia

Post by Cassiopeia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 pm

Luminaar wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:42 am
Thanks for the report - we do try and avoid this. :)

After pressing the 'next shard' button, a number of applicable shards are offered up randomly. One of them is then picked from the selection based on other criteria, the main one being "are there orbs or glory available from it". Given the initial random selection when finding applicable shards (for example, if all the shards randomly selected have been cleared,) there is the possibility of getting a 'completed' one as the selection.

Selecting a random shard from a playlist has a similar chance of providing an undesireable effect, such as when a playlist contains shards of substantially different difficulty levels. If you're looking to head back to the same playlist, pressing the 'tick' button instead will take you back to the profile you were previously at.
I appreciate you all letting us know how it works on the back end. I'm more concerned whether you'll make changes so that the issue is resolved. If there are shards in the random pool that are completed (no glory/no orbs), then I think the program should exclude those as an option for selection (at least until all unplayed shards have been selected). I would rather play a shard that is under my player level than replay a shard that does not grant me glory or orbs. Further, as I mentioned, there seem to be a lot of shards that are within my player level that are not in the pool of shards the program selects from. I have to hunt them down manually. Perhaps this is an issue of the program prioritizing "popular" shards within my level instead of just shards within my level. Or, perhaps "shards with in my level" has too narrow a range.

Lastly, you explained exactly that hassle that I have to go through in order to continue playing a person's shards that I am following. Having to go back to all of their shards and then manually select them takes more time then simply pressing Next and the program autoloading the next shard that that player made. I have to see more screens, I have to see more loading screens, and I have to press more buttons than necessary. It's an issue of user flow design.
Last edited by Cassiopeia on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:14 am

MycroftHolmes wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:40 am
wouldn't applying the "does the shard provide orbs or glory?" switch function during the batch selection process make more sense
Pretty sure this is not practical, as each individual shard would need to be queried against the player status each time - although the programmer may say otherwise. :) From my understanding, a more generalized query is performed first to provide a smaller/more relevant sample, with a more detailed second pass refining it further for other criteria such as orb/glory replayability.

To clarify though, the current process will filter out unplayable shards at a very high % rate, with "technical reasons and unlucky random picks" preventing it from being 100%. Increasing the initial sample size under certain conditions may be a better option than a brand new function.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

MycroftHolmes

Post by MycroftHolmes » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:11 am

Could you inquire as to the feasibility of designing a playlist system by which you can add shards from a profile, best for me, newest, or top shard list in the same manner as a campaign is created? Once you tick the box next to all the shards you want to play in a list, and the order (if so desired) to play them in, press play, then like you do in a campaign, after each mission you proceed directly to the next.

I mean, this solves the user flow issue, is a decent workaround for the current Next Shard feature choosing bad/played shards, and the team recently did the work to put this functionality into the game from a UI standpoint.
Author of:
  • Top Shards: The Dark Path, Warehouse District, The Bandits' Hideout
  • Campaign: Vetting the Initiate (25)
  • Campaign: Greatest Hits (21)

LadTy

Post by LadTy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:13 pm

It is on our list for potential features, if anything in a simple clear version as is the list for campaigns that you can put aside to play later. But currently we are not sure if it is really needed or would do more harm than good. UI space, cleanness and readibility is really one of the most valuable things and adding more UI elements for such a feature could make everything worse. Most important aspect here is, that while it's a great feature to have for something that can take up to an hour like a campaign, it's not really needed for something where you can simply start the shard and easily finish it just a few moments later. There are cases it could lbe useful but the general approach to individual shards is simply "I'll just play this now".
11100000111O10000000001O10000000001O00010001000O00000100000O00000010000O00001000000O00010000000O10000000001O10000000001O11100000111

wfoojjaec

Post by wfoojjaec » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:43 pm

So I have the same problem.
Got an account name and email. But no password to be anywhere. Where I can get my password to login?
Maybe this should be posted somewhere in FAQ section or something?

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 pm

wfoojjaec wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:43 pm
Got an account name and email. But no password to be anywhere. Where I can get my password to login?
Send an email over to support@tricksterarts.com and we'll gather your account/email details and get this sorted for you.