/help/bug report

Cassiopeia

Re: /help/bug report

Post by Cassiopeia » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:38 am

I don't see any health orbs drop on the ground with Blood Rain. I'm using Red Knight's Bane.

Also, is it supposed to heal more than Holy Heal? I don't think it does or will ... Which makes me wonder why it costs so much to craft.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:06 am

Cassiopeia wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:38 am
I don't see any health orbs drop on the ground with Blood Rain ... Also, is it supposed to heal more than Holy Heal? ... why it costs so much to craft.
Blood Rain creates Minor Health Orbs for enemies it hits, which will be picked up instantly as they drop in melee range. The healing amount is small, but can also be used to trigger effects such as Red Knight's Glory, Plate of Justice and Relentless Greaves.
Health Orbs heal a flat amount, whereas Holy Heal heals for a percentage of your HP. Holy Heal will generally heal for more, unless you have really low Max HP.
Crafting cost is based solely on card rarity!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Cassiopeia

Post by Cassiopeia » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:27 am

Luminaar wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:06 am
Cassiopeia wrote:
... Blood Rain creates Minor Health Orbs for enemies it hits, which will be picked up instantly as they drop in melee range. The healing amount is small, but can also be used to trigger effects such as Red Knight's Glory, Plate of Justice and Relentless Greaves.
Health Orbs heal a flat amount, whereas Holy Heal heals for a percentage of your HP. Holy Heal will generally heal for more, unless you have really low Max HP.
Crafting cost is based solely on card rarity!
I guess my complaint then is that Blood Rain is of a higher rarity than it probably should be, for, alone, it is nearly useless.
I spent 800 resources crafting it with the expectation that it would make Berserker Warrior viable without Holy Heal, but it doesn't.

I really like your game. It's great! But, melee heroes have a much harder time surviving than ranged heroes. Thus, the usability of survival abilities for melee heroes is of crucial importance.

Also, it seems to me that the devs attempted to make two specs for each hero type. I think that's awesome. If you want to have each type viable, though, the player needs to be able to survive the types of maps the players are going to make. Berserker Warrior must rely on Paladin abilities in order to work in harder Shards.

-> For Berserker Warrior, Red Knight's Glory + Blood Rain isn't as useful as Blessed Sight + Holy Heal. The ability to force a single stun is only really useful when fighting single targets. As you want enemies are piled together with Berserker, it becomes difficult to select the target you want to stun.

-> Relentless Greaves aren't useful for Berserker Warrior, so there is no reason to wear them even when you have Blood Rain. Berserkers don't want to kite enemies, they want to pile in and spin-to-win. Further, the main way for a Berserker to charge their abilities is to attack. There are only so many barrels a person can find to charge their abilities if they are near death. Yes, Bladedancer's Rage also generates spirit for Berserker abilities, but here you are in the fray, not running away.

-> Plate of Justice is very useful, but Holy Heal also procs it, and Holy Heal is flat-out better than Blood Rain--because players want to survive difficult Shards.

What I'm saying is that I've tried Red Knight's Glory + Plate of Justice + Bladedancer's Rage + Red Knight's Bane to Whirlwind + Big Swing + Hope + Blood Rain--repeat, but ... you just die. And you die fast. Holy Heal clears maps. Blood Rain should too.

With all that said, I humbly suggest a change to Blood Rain. Add something like: "...Create a [major] Health orb with each enemy hit. [Major Health orbs heal for ~1.5% of your Max Health.]" 1% may also work. Making this change would allow players to create a full Berserker spec without relying on Holy Heal to survive difficult Shards.

I say all this without anger. I really do enjoy your game and I want to see it succeed! Making tweaks to ensure each hero spec can survive difficult shards is a step toward that direction.

I also have difficulty beating difficult shards with Shadow and Arbiter heroes, as well. However, I don't quite yet have a variety of gear for those types in order to test out possible solutions that currently exist, so I will not comment further on them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and consider the player's predicament!

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:46 am

Cassiopeia wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to read this and consider the player's predicament!
The rarity for Blood Rain is primarily due to its utility. It hits multiple targets at a slightly wider range than Whirlwind, provides minor healing at less charge than "standard" heal abilities, and is currently the only Warrior ability that creates Health orbs for synergising with "when picking up health orb" items. Depending on the Shard and equipment layout, it's also possible to have a self-charging/auto-blending ability!

We do encourage Heroes to try out the various sub-class combinations, and are keeping an eye on specific combos (such as various Second Wind + Holy Heal + Blood Rain setups. :P) Thank you for the write up of your experience. Numerical tweaks are definitely within scope!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

MycroftHolmes

Post by MycroftHolmes » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 am

I have been stuck at lv 8.75 for over a week. I recently switched to buying Creator packs as Universal packs gave me more Hero gear than Creator tools, and I have noticed that these have not been counting towards my next level up. Please tell me this is a bug and not a punishment for trying to focus on shard Creation. I really don't want to buy Universal packs "just" to level up, but I am too powerful for shards that are not red to me, and I need to unlock the ones that are. With the packs I have opened I should be level 10.
Author of:
  • The Dark Path, One Way Out, Midship Mayhem
  • Warehouse District, Waking the Fallen
  • ... and many more

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:16 am

MycroftHolmes wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 am
Please tell me this is a bug and not a punishment for trying to focus on shard Creation.
Since Creator packs don't give any benefits to the Hero, no XP is provided for them. This is done as a protection, not a punishment, to ensure that your level isn't artificially inflated into a game crippling state.

An example of this would be when preventing a dedicated creator from having only Level 10-15 Shards in their "Best For Me" list, while not having the items/abilities to challenge them.

In your particular case, it seems like you've high-rolled with Universal Packs, and received a higher quantity/quality spread of Hero gear, making you too powerful for Shards under +5 of your level!

For clarity, here's the pack/card spread info:
• Hero Packs have only "Items + Abilities" and give 2x XP
• Universal packs have an equal mix of "Items + Abilities" and "Monsters + Shards + Environments", and give normal XP
• Creator packs have only "Monsters + Shards + Environments", and give zero XP

The contents of Universal Packs will converge into a 50:50 mix of "Items + Abilities" and "Monsters + Shards + Environments" given a larger sample size, and opening Universal packs to increase your level further is the best course of action. This average will get closer to standard the more packs are opened, with you having the option to shatter any duplicate or unwanted cards and create items/abilities for gearing up other heroes/completing class specific quests.

MycroftHolmes

Post by MycroftHolmes » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:36 am

I don't disagree with the design, and yes some shards in my range are a challenge with my poorly equipped Artificer. Others I use my 3 dmg weapon Shadow with high armor and full skill kit as a challenge to clear, but my Mage with a full kit and Legendary Staff makes quick work of anything. My well-equipped Hunter and Warrior are also able to clear anything with more careful play. I see what you mean by my draws not being typical, but that has had the side-effect of hampering my creation efforts, which I very much want to correct, hence my pack choice. I had already been shattering 2 or 3 of my Universal card pulls (hence the full skill kits) prior to changing my purchase habits.

What I disagree with is this information being obscure or discovered on a "trial-and-error" basis. Each pack, before you even make a purchase choice, should clearly state how much - or even whether - XP is granted when opening it. Something as simple as:

- Hero Pack grants 50% XP toward next level.
- Universal Pack grants 25% XP toward next level.
- Creator Pack grants 0% XP toward next level.

Would at least put player expectations in line with the result they observe after the fact. Although now that I know, I will weigh this into my decisions going forward. I am not asking for compensation - only clarification - as I do not regret the building tools I have acquired since I stopped gaining XP.

I appreciate the response time (within 24 hours on a thread that hasn't had a new post in a month) and for the thoroughness of the explanation. If I could rate Trickster Arts customer service it would be 3*.
Author of:
  • ... and many more

TheLurkingRage

Post by TheLurkingRage » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 am

MycroftHolmes wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:36 am
- Hero Pack grants 50% XP toward next level.
- Universal Pack grants 25% XP toward next level.
- Creator Pack grants 0% XP toward next level.
The required XP to level up grows exponentially. Card Packs have a set amount of XP. It's not as you mentioned above 50% and such. Just clarifying that. I don't have the official numbers, but for low levels like you it's easy to level up with just a couple of card packs.

Now, I wanna say I view creator packs not giving XP as rewarding instead of a punishment. Low levels with adequate gear have it easier when it comes to getting orbs. If your focus is building shards, then you're gonna have a better time getting orbs for the creator packs because your level is not increasing and making it harder to get orbs. It's a good thing for you, given your goal to build shards instead of raiding... Orbs are capped at 30 per shard. You are limited to playing shards up to 5 levels above you. The higher gap in level between you and the higher level shard, the more orbs you'll get. The higher level you are, the harder you have to work for the same amount of orbs. So really if you believe you're OP for the shards available for you, you should be ecstatic because you're gonna have an ez time getting orbs for your creator packs without repercussions, unlike others like myself who chose to focus on our heroes first. (I'm level 27 and staying this way this season)
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage

MycroftHolmes

Post by MycroftHolmes » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:11 am

Even so, why does the game itself not provide this information? I've been playing for a month and had to find out here thinking it was a glitch. All I knew prior was that Packs = XP, and I had read the forums and patch notes.

So here's why I want to keep leveling as I open Creator packs: I've scoured the Top Shard, Top Builder, Best For Me, New&Updated, and even my Followers lists and have ✔ next to what I can, half or more is beyond lv 8 (shard 13), especially on lists I want to play most. Now some of those in range do indeed grant 30 orbs (when I full clear) but many are still in the 10-15. Some I had ✔ can be ran again for Orbs (I'm hazarding a guess it is because I only cleared them in season 12/2019, and can again now that it is 1/2020.) I even despicably held back my vomit as I ran through lists full of "Farm" shards (and rated them all 1*, is there lower than 1*?) simply because... I can enter the shard.

This wouldn't be nearly as constraining if I widened the pool of shards that I can at least power my über mâge through. Even shards I remember clearing with ease are again out of reach as their makers update them or higher level players attempt it, bumping the rating too high. I'm not even growing at the rate of the accessible content!

Now I bought another Universal pack just to finish leveling up to 9, (and wouldn't you know it: 2 dupe abilities *shattered*, 1 new ability, 1 gear for a rainy day build, and 1 dupe enemy - ranged wasp #7- *shattered*). I immediately set out to play all the of 14 shards I could find, and I beat them all without even resorting to my Mage. I'm sure the same would apply to level 15 shards and so on.

I get what you are saying "enjoy the auto 30 Orbs while you can", and it may come to a point where it takes more effort and runs to generate the income per minute I am now, but at least the pool won't be so finite. I will be spending more time actually clearing new (and better) shards and less time scrolling through lists looking at all the content I could clear if I was allowed to, and diving into "Ranged Farm 17" for 12 Orbs just because it is has Orbs on the play button rather than ✔ or LOCKED 🔐

I hope Universal Packs start treating me better soon, because I can't stagnate or I fear I might burn out. I have exhausted all my Realms, and even though I have unused shardstones my only crafting resource is from shattering monster cards and I need those to populate my larger creations (when I get them). For now I have ideas I can't begin creating and I am too strong for the content available to me now. It feels too much like RNG has decided my fate, and I am feeling a little bummed because I really enjoy making shards and helping others out with feedback to improve theirs.

P.S. I read about an implementation of "choosing 5 cards" to help offset the RNG but I never got to try it out. I would choose 5 Realm cards for sure.
Author of:
  • ... and many more

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:26 am

MycroftHolmes wrote:All I knew prior was that Packs = XP
Packs = XP was the original intention. :D

Hero and Creator packs were developed very recently, as a reponse to feedback from players wanting additional card pack contents/choices - they weren't part of the original design, and there was never an intention to have packs that provided zero level progression! Since the inclusion of creator specific packs had the side-effect potential to cripple progress as mentioned above however, it was deemed best to have the packs provide zero XP.

While your situation does seem to be a rare case, I understand that it's causing an issue, and will request a review/solutions for this.
MycroftHolmes wrote:What I disagree with is this information being obscure
A tooltip/description of packs can certainly be considered for future updates. As for clarification, I'll look at getting this information added to the wiki. :)
MycroftHolmes wrote:I appreciate the response time (within 24 hours on a thread that hasn't had a new post in a month) and for the thoroughness of the explanation.
Thanks for the 3* :D