Experimental lvl 7 layout

Best strategies of building your network
Azelthedragon

Experimental lvl 7 layout

Post by Azelthedragon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:21 am

I'm curious if this will help discourage wraith attacks, as well as kraken. Also, the av node in the back has served as an amusing barrier to unfocused worms users. Not a threat to smarter attackers. Can't wait for lvl 8 core, i need the 2 new slots for my 2nd black ice, and another cg? Something, haha

e1a00000

Re: Experimental lvl 7 layout

Post by e1a00000 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:25 am

Upgrade your sentry.
I'm not sure about your average joe, they like to wraith everything then failing to clear in time due to worm slow atk. But your defense is very vulnerable to a stealth prep. Portal wise they could walk through your entire defense with ease due to a lack of cg at the front and a low scanner.
Low sentry also means your damage output might not be able to break enough ICE.

Also if the attacker wraith your front sentry, you'd be stuck with no AV for your entire choke point.

Azelthedragon

Post by Azelthedragon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:46 am

I've noticed a lot of people just double wraith the cg's if they're at the front anyway (its how i do it lately anyway), so they don't seem to hold effectiveness at this level. I can level the scanner and the sentry soon. Av's are breaking through the ice walls hitting me atm, but i could see them being weak soon, ha.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:07 am

A couple of guidelines to defending against stealth:
  • upgrade scanner to at least level 8
  • put at least two code gates in range of scanner
  • put scanner behind at least two codes gates
You haven't met any of the three guidelines so your base is completely vulnerable to stealth.

If I were the attacker, then I would wraith your scanner and your gates followed by a portal on the sentry next to the resources. Put down one shuriken and one worm on the sentry. Let the game play itself and do something else for 3 minutes.

A couple more general ideas about network defense is that at lower levels (let's say maybe below 35), there is just no way to defend against both brute force and stealth completely at the same time.

For stealth, you have to make a tradeoff of whether you sacrifice your gates or your security to wraiths/portal. Your low core level most likely means you can't buy enough gates to stop stealth and slow down brute force at the same time. Your scanner level may also be capped so you need to wait for the next core level.

I know it sucks that you can't defend against both types of attacks at the same time right now but once you get your third code gate and pump some money into the scanner, stealth attacks will become almost impossible for most attackers.

brzytki

Post by brzytki » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:46 am

That's true. Until you get to core lvl 9 you won't be able to defend against hybrid attacks (stealth+brute force). But what's worth mentioning, you won't be able to max your defense at each core level because you have 3 of each resource farms. You'll be always 2 security nodes short of max available (not counting sentries cause only rarely would you need more than 2). For example, you are at core level 7 and have BI and 2nd scanner available. At core level 8 you'll have 2nd guardian available. At core level 9 you can build another code gate, turret and library (not a security node but it greatly enhances your offense so it's required imo). I stop at core level 9 because you'll need $1,5mil, $3mil and $5mil to reach core level 10 and there's really high chance you'll get hacked multiple times while you accumulate it. So you'll have to choose 4 nodes out of those 6. You'll need either/both scanner or guardian because you'll be lacking choke points. That's 2 already. Just food for thought.

Azelthedragon

Post by Azelthedragon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Alright, alright, ha. Sold 1 of each resource node, bought av node and black ice. New, more defensive layout here. Thoughts?
Edit: that black ice in the top of the pic is only connected to the scanner, not the gaurdian

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Azelthedragon wrote:Image

Alright, alright, ha. Sold 1 of each resource node, bought av node and black ice. New, more defensive layout here. Thoughts?
Edit: that black ice in the top of the pic is only connected to the scanner, not the gaurdian
I would shuriken through most of it.

Azelthedragon

Post by Azelthedragon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Ok, which part would you improve? Second choke area, with the gaurdian?

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:31 am

Shuriken isn't meta right now so you will probably be fine.

But e1a00000 is correct. Shuriken will save a huge amount of time on your base.

Azelthedragon

Post by Azelthedragon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:04 am

Is this better?