So, here is the network I need advice on, a cute little lvl 7 Core one:
rps20161227_020357.jpg
rps20161227_020357.jpg (28.83 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
A closer look on the cluster (as I've made an optical illusion of sorts there):
rps20161227_020306.jpg
rps20161227_020306.jpg (28.26 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Any tips on:

1. how to defend against People who wanna Portal on my Guardian
(I could put another node before the Gate/Scanner, but how could I place one without getting over the 9-node limit? Trying to branch out after the second Gate does not work.)
[Suppose I detach the Guardian from the main path? I feel like the other Black ICE and the Gate applies enough pressure on it though. Seems worth it, or at least on my level. halp.]

2. dealing with Beam + Wall spam
(The lvl 10 Beams + double-digit numbers of Walls crap. I do burn through a lot of Walls/Protectors at the Scanner chokepoint, but my network falls after around the 8th Wall is placed.)

3. where to put that Turret above the higher-leveled Black ICE (in the first pic). For now, it's just backup for those defending the choke, but I swear it could have been placed somewhere more useful; no idea where exactly though.
(maybe that could have been a lvl 1 Scanner instead, but perhaps it's better to get that when I get a lvl 8 Core)
I've seen networks that seem really long, and idk how they do it. Maybe there should be a guide on it lmao

Of course, feel free to find (and maybe solve) any other problems. Thanks in advance.
I reject Worms and Kraken on principle.

Yopee

Re: Yet another "I need advice" post

Post by Yopee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:08 pm

1. You don't have any real way to defend against stealth until you force attackers to go through 2 code gates with level 8 scanner.

2. and 3. Your issue is your entire network doesn't actually have a single tough chokepoint. Your scanner sort of is a chokepoint but it's only going to keep being upgraded so it will definitely not work as a chokepoint as you progress in the game.
The other issue is that you're forcing all your security nodes onto the one single scanner but it doesn't have enough connections for all of them.

Low level guardians don't really make a big difference with their shields. Instead, they can act as good chokepoints so try that.

Put your resources behind your sentry in the back, not in front of or around it. Downgrade that sentry too so it can act as a decent chokepoint.

Sonja

Post by Sonja » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:17 pm

What if say, I sell off my lowest-leveled B-Coin mine and get another Scanner (and not upgrade it. Ever.)
1. Would that work?
2. Won't it screw up my economy?
I reject Worms and Kraken on principle.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:28 pm

It takes a loooooong time for b-coin mines/server farms to pay off so selling it is not really a hit to your economy especially if your income is from attacking other people rather than waiting for the mines and farms to fill up.

Level 1 scanner is the best chokepoint in the game so yes, that would help you a lot.

Fluffington
Location: Join the Hackers discord https://discord.gg/qquYZ6H

Post by Fluffington » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Yopee wrote:It takes a loooooong time for b-coin mines/server farms to pay off so selling it is not really a hit to your economy especially if your income is from attacking other people rather than waiting for the mines and farms to fill up.

Level 1 scanner is the best chokepoint in the game so yes, that would help you a lot.
I use a level 1 scanner (180 firewall) and a level 1 b-coin mine (150 firewall) as choke points. Works well for me :) but yes, I agree with Yopee. Imo, Level 1 scanner is the best choke point
Username: Fluffington
Level: 3 (25/6/17) Yes I restarted
Core: 2 (25/6/17)