Adjusted lvl 7 layout. Thoughts?

Best strategies of building your network
Azelthedragon

Adjusted lvl 7 layout. Thoughts?

Post by Azelthedragon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 pm

I know i need my 2nd black ice. Thought the reposition of the core would be a decent idea. The chokepoint is mostly what i'm curious about. The guardian is attached to the two high lvl turrets and the black ice. Close up of chokepoint won't upload :/

e1a00000

Re: Adjusted lvl 7 layout. Thoughts?

Post by e1a00000 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:41 am

Azelthedragon wrote:Image

I know i need my 2nd black ice. Thought the reposition of the core would be a decent idea. The chokepoint is mostly what i'm curious about. The guardian is attached to the two high lvl turrets and the black ice. Close up of chokepoint won't upload :/
Few things to note: core is in awkward position. Link it next to the cg.
Stealth players can wrait your gates, and maybe a turret/ice. Though this is the most anti stealth you can get atm, so I blame the mechanics.
Awkward evolver. It increases your length by 1 without doing anything actually useful.
Resources looks like it will be wiped out fairly fast. No delay at all. Could be better.

Choke point looks standard, powerful and annoying. But a few things to note here:
Attack order. It matters. If you linked so that the right turret goes down first, I would shuriken to get the db and forget about the rest of your choke.
If it is the other two, shuriken shield pump makes short work of everything else.
The choke have powerful take back. Too powerful. Which means strong defensive nodes are linked together. Which means the attacker could take advantage of that. Limit the damage by reduce the linkings. Or use weak buffer node for a tug of war resistance ish warfare. Use some low firewall building like the evolver or low miner. Those have low shield, as strong as your AV, gets taken fast by both side and cannot pressure your defensive node too easily. More of those also means the attacker have to micro manage more.

Not sure why I'm giving tips to make my life a living hell though =))

Azelthedragon

Post by Azelthedragon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:14 am

Haha, for sure. Thanks for the help!

I thought that keeping the core in the line would be a slow down, and then i didnt want it used to break the cg, hence the evolver.

Azelthedragon

Post by Azelthedragon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:30 am

Hmmm... this choke point seems weaker to me

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:49 am

Hmmm... this choke point seems weaker to me
Because it is. It's harder for you to reclaim lost nodes too. But it also stalls better as the attacker may get confused. Just make sure you have the attack priority right.

Here's s.th I would use given what you have:

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:57 am

Note that you should connect the evolver to another node. Either the sentry or the turret works. Sentry might be the better bet, since it should be down soon after so the attacker wont benefit much. You would want to watch the attack order though.

Azelthedragon

Post by Azelthedragon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:46 am

Uh... thought. Does spreading out resources like this make sense? So that security area has to all be taken? Or was it better before?

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:37 am

Uh... thought. Does spreading out resources like this make sense? So that security area has to all be taken? Or was it better before?
I would say before. If you link the order properly the attacker would have to take the entire net anyway.
And don't link the turrets/black ice. Just don't. That way they could just take one turret down and continue from there. On my build the taken turret have access to an evolver and guardian, which is linked to 1 ice, 3 turrets and a sentry.

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:56 am

Got on my laptop so I can give you a proper guideline

By not linking the chokepoint defense (in your case 2 turret and 1 ICE, same principle applies to other chokes and guardian choke) assuming none got wraith'd, it is extremely costly (in terms of shield, shock, etc) to get through since the risk of carry over damage that retakes the node. Not until there is a single defense left that the threat subsides (2 turrets for example is still a big threat). However, by linking them together, you effectively allows the attacker to take only 1 node and continue. He can take a turret, and either shuriken or beam to take care of the choke, at this point he wouldn't care if the scanner got taken back. At this point your choke is basically over.
You overcome this by not directly linking the defense of a choke together. There's a wide range of things you can do, like linking them with some stronger defensive node in the back (not really advised, as the previous statement applies - I can beam the turret, take the back line and continue back).
So that's where the guardian and the evolver here comes to play. With sufficient antivirus, those thing are dangerous. Your linking should be so that guardian takes priority over evolver as it's tankier. The attacker have two option: Drop at least 3 beams/shurikens in hope to out damage the defenses or to drop a shield. At the same time he have to micro manage the scanner as the turret have very low advantage. The guardian itself is another incredibly strong choke, as well as the evolver (I'd suggest you hooking the evolver to all three turret - probably the one in the back first to spread the damage and ease the tension on the choke - or the other way to slow down the attacker - the previous one force him to micro manage even more). Micro management is hard, if not impossible, especially since you need to put 2 shield down at 2 points at the same time (!). The key here is to force micro management. A skilled attacker would make sure the scanner have enough shield before adding a shield and several beam to his turret as it minimize risk and micro management. But either way, you are burning a lot of shields and program. This might be less relevant later on, but on early levels, and maybe mid range where pg count is still fairly limited: Count the shields. If the attacker runs out of ICE shield, while you have a choke point designed so that it requires a shield, he/she is already lost. It matters if a choke (small or large) needs 1, or 2, or borderline 2 shield. Borderline is bad for you and good for the attacker: for chokepoint every second matters. Every second could mean the difference of the shield you need. If you can make a three way chokepoint that is just enough that they requires a shield, adding another, say, library with AV to that choke probably isn't going to be helpful. Instead, move it somewhere else, that might force another shield.

legal

Post by legal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:55 pm

e1a00000 wrote:Got on my laptop so I can give you a proper guideline

By not linking the chokepoint defense (in your case 2 turret and 1 ICE, same principle applies to other chokes and guardian choke) assuming none got wraith'd, it is extremely costly (in terms of shield, shock, etc) to get through since the risk of carry over damage that retakes the node. Not until there is a single defense left that the threat subsides (2 turrets for example is still a big threat). However, by linking them together, you effectively allows the attacker to take only 1 node and continue. He can take a turret, and either shuriken or beam to take care of the choke, at this point he wouldn't care if the scanner got taken back. At this point your choke is basically over.
You overcome this by not directly linking the defense of a choke together. There's a wide range of things you can do, like linking them with some stronger defensive node in the back (not really advised, as the previous statement applies - I can beam the turret, take the back line and continue back).
So that's where the guardian and the evolver here comes to play. With sufficient antivirus, those thing are dangerous. Your linking should be so that guardian takes priority over evolver as it's tankier. The attacker have two option: Drop at least 3 beams/shurikens in hope to out damage the defenses or to drop a shield. At the same time he have to micro manage the scanner as the turret have very low advantage. The guardian itself is another incredibly strong choke, as well as the evolver (I'd suggest you hooking the evolver to all three turret - probably the one in the back first to spread the damage and ease the tension on the choke - or the other way to slow down the attacker - the previous one force him to micro manage even more). Micro management is hard, if not impossible, especially since you need to put 2 shield down at 2 points at the same time (!). The key here is to force micro management. A skilled attacker would make sure the scanner have enough shield before adding a shield and several beam to his turret as it minimize risk and micro management. But either way, you are burning a lot of shields and program. This might be less relevant later on, but on early levels, and maybe mid range where pg count is still fairly limited: Count the shields. If the attacker runs out of ICE shield, while you have a choke point designed so that it requires a shield, he/she is already lost. It matters if a choke (small or large) needs 1, or 2, or borderline 2 shield. Borderline is bad for you and good for the attacker: for chokepoint every second matters. Every second could mean the difference of the shield you need. If you can make a three way chokepoint that is just enough that they requires a shield, adding another, say, library with AV to that choke probably isn't going to be helpful. Instead, move it somewhere else, that might force another shield.
for one at his level he does not have a true choke point as he can not do enough damage to instantly take down the scanner. ice wall then protector bam thru it you are trying to make it sound more complicated than it actually is. Only a moron will spam ice wall on a choke point. and it is ice wall not ice shield. Second at his level micro managing his network is not that hard. Again direct you back to my first sentence. If you are struggling then protector away and you will not have to worry about anything for a while and ti slows down the damage drastically. You can also just use a shocker and it stops everything. So yeah not as complicated as you went on for ever on about. from the sounds of it you will not fair well at upper levels when there are 34 nodes to control. Stop trying to make this game seem harder than it actually is.
Username: Legal
Level: 48 (12/25/16)
Core: 12
Highest reputation: meaningless
Highest world rank: meaningless
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.