Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Best strategies of building your network
e1a00000

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by e1a00000 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:28 pm

RigrmRtis wrote:I finally got another kraken attempt this morning. I think moving the one code gate up front is dissuading attacks. I think one of the fun things about the previous designs is that they looked more vulnerable than they were due to my level which attracted more attempts.

I've redesigned my network a bit because of this video. Moved my second ice off that turret and have two turrets backing up that first turret. Redid the front area a little. But one ice up there isn't great. I need my 4th turret.

I noticed that my sentries don't have link priority over my ices/turrets any more. That was important to me. Why is that? Is it because they now have open links making them less important?

https://youtu.be/gmrQFK9D6aI
I'd hit that. With beams. Your scanner choke is not very intimidating. I'd shield beam, and depend on the linking, either beam the black node or shuriken shield the turret. And... your choke is gone.
Also rework your black ice. It' extremely vunerable to a two way distraction hit. I'd beam both the evolver and mixer down, and depends on which one gets shot at, deploy 3 beam on the other. Cheap, efficient and fast.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:51 pm

e1a00000 wrote:
RigrmRtis wrote:I finally got another kraken attempt this morning. I think moving the one code gate up front is dissuading attacks. I think one of the fun things about the previous designs is that they looked more vulnerable than they were due to my level which attracted more attempts.

I've redesigned my network a bit because of this video. Moved my second ice off that turret and have two turrets backing up that first turret. Redid the front area a little. But one ice up there isn't great. I need my 4th turret.

I noticed that my sentries don't have link priority over my ices/turrets any more. That was important to me. Why is that? Is it because they now have open links making them less important?

I'd hit that. With beams. Your scanner choke is not very intimidating. I'd shield beam, and depend on the linking, either beam the black node or shuriken shield the turret. And... your choke is gone.
Also rework your black ice. It' extremely vunerable to a two way distraction hit. I'd beam both the evolver and mixer down, and depends on which one gets shot at, deploy 3 beam on the other. Cheap, efficient and fast.
The scanner choke works pretty well so far. :) I've just been posting Kraken attempts. I haven't been posting the beam failures. There's plenty of those. I just don't think they're as fun to watch. I'm not trying to stop you from 'pwning' any particular portion of my network. I'm just trying to slow you down. No particular portion is meant to be impenetrable like you seem to be implying. I'm just running you out of programs and/or time. Even the one successful attempt didn't get my core.

So, thank you for your constructive feedback. I've found it very valuable. :p

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm

RigrmRtis wrote:
e1a00000 wrote:

The scanner choke works pretty well so far. :) I've just been posting Kraken attempts. I haven't been posting the beam failures. There's plenty of those. I just don't think they're as fun to watch. I'm not trying to stop you from 'pwning' any particular portion of my network. I'm just trying to slow you down. No particular portion is meant to be impenetrable like you seem to be implying. I'm just running you out of programs and/or time. Even the one successful attempt didn't get my core.

So, thank you for your constructive feedback. I've found it very valuable. :p
Just some 2cents from a frequent raider. Tbh if I were to attack you, I'd avoid the core even if you leave it at the entrance, I tend to get too much rep.
Leaving it tactically also serves as a small delay/choke while deterring kraken. My base also don't get a lot of attackers. Most of them fails. I find that funny though, since alot were revenge hits. Had a 27 failing so hard despite wraithing 2 gates and 3 turrets (my scanner is on upgrade):D
Had the pleasure of doubling his pain by tracing back and stealing another 100k just now :D and 2 of my defenses is even on upgrade.
People tend to under estimate beams at lower. And abuse worms despite worms being probably the last thing I want to use due to slow clone and weakness to chokes.

You might wanna try a messed up net tactic though. Those are the most annoying one to down as they requires tons of micro management and plannings. Could really screw an attacker over.

I'm on level 20 too btw. Hitting up till 29-30 though, with a decent success rate.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Yeah I can see why people leave their core out as a tactical move. I just don't want to offer up anything for free that would constitute a 'loss' as the game defines it.

What do you mean by a messed up net tactic? Is that more like my earlier designs that were a bit more interconnected than my current one? I honestly had more fun with those even though they were technically 'worse' against people who were higher level than the folks that had been attacking me. Encouraging them to micro manage several different things so they don't get taken back is what I'm going for. With many low firewalls so control flips back and forth fairly easily. Hopefully deleting some programs along the way.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Yeah it's basically your earlier design except rather than chokepoints in a line for kraken, you connect them such that everything is connected to everything else and antivirus does the majority of the fighting.

It's actually really similar by basing defense on micromanaging each node and ice wall/shocker reaction time.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:52 am

Yeah I like that. What do people do? Just throw 2 code gates in the front and stick a mess of noise behind it?

Here's a beam example of a guy trying pretty hard to get past that scanner:

https://youtu.be/9y1mLwUfHv8

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:10 am

RigrmRtis wrote:Yeah I like that. What do people do? Just throw 2 code gates in the front and stick a mess of noise behind it?

Here's a beam example of a guy trying pretty hard to get past that scanner:

https://youtu.be/9y1mLwUfHv8
He looks really bad lol. Messing up here and there.
If only one day you pops up on my list :(

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:22 am

Yeah after you're basically getting a fucking tutorial on my network lol... ;)

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:42 am

RigrmRtis wrote:Yeah after you're basically getting a fucking tutorial on my network lol... ;)
Fair point. Takes away the glory I guess.
On a side note, a 27 just left a note on my core about how he almost 100% my net (he didn't have time to loot) after failing twice, wraiting 5 nodes, on every attempt, while my cg, black ICE and scanner is on upgrade, and after I stole 300k from him through 3 attacks.
Lol.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:53 am

Haha I didn't even consider the fact that the cores can be used to communicate more effectively if they're on the outside. Maybe I've been antisocial.