Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Best strategies of building your network
Yopee

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by Yopee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:51 am

3ly wrote:Is it necessary to upgrade the 2nd Mixer? Or is just 1 enough to hold the b-coins for program upgrades?
After all it's a pretty good choke point with 3 program slots and 4 connection ports.
You only really need more than one mixer once you start researching high level programs (like 100k+ bcoins). At that point, your program costs might overtake the max level mixer allowed by your core so that's why you would need more than one mixer.

It's really cheap to upgrade mixer and focusing upgrades on one single mixer definitely saves on time.

Silken

Post by Silken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Yopee wrote:
3ly wrote:Is it necessary to upgrade the 2nd Mixer? Or is just 1 enough to hold the b-coins for program upgrades?
After all it's a pretty good choke point with 3 program slots and 4 connection ports.
You only really need more than one mixer once you start researching high level programs (like 100k+ bcoins). At that point, your program costs might overtake the max level mixer allowed by your core so that's why you would need more than one mixer.

It's really cheap to upgrade mixer and focusing upgrades on one single mixer definitely saves on time.
I didn't upgrade my second mixer. I wanted two scanners, since there is no stopping stealth if you have a scanner upgrading. So I used my second mixer as a choke instead of the normal scanner.

The only thing it stops is getting the current high beam meta. But even with low beams I have no issue with hacking bases. At core 10 you get another mixer. So you can catch up on the beams.

If you rush your core it doesn't matter which way you do it. If you don't rush your core. You still need to get to Core 8 and Core 10 quite quickly. Since the beam limits on Core 7 and 9 are a little painful, with one mixer. But not impossible. At level 44 I easily cope with having low beams. Althrough I'm glad I'm getting my third mixer today.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:23 pm

What eventually makes kraken irrelevant at higher levels? Does it just not scale well and firewalls get too high?

3ly

Post by 3ly » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:25 pm

RigrmRtis wrote:What eventually makes kraken irrelevant at higher levels? Does it just not scale well and firewalls get too high?
Takes too much to protect Kraken/Beaming is easier
IGN: 3ly
Lvl: 23 C: 7

Merry Christmas!!
[~3ly]

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:50 pm

What 3ly said.
Also, beams do more damage, compile faster, take less disk space, and are cheaper.
High level players often farm using only beams.

e1a00000

Post by e1a00000 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Yopee wrote:What 3ly said.
Also, beams do more damage, compile faster, take less disk space, and are cheaper.
What about shurikens? They seems fairly useful. I'm assuming the cost to upgrade them just means it's better off to spend it on beams?

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:10 pm

e1a00000 wrote:
Yopee wrote:What 3ly said.
What about shurikens? They seems fairly useful. I'm assuming the cost to upgrade them just means it's better off to spend it on beams?
Depends on what you mean by useful. Shuriken is useful for either ignoring link priority or taking down 3+ nodes at once. They do more damage than beams against 3 nodes but the catch is they do the damage slower so shuriken must be used with a good ice wall/protector/shocker.

At high levels, most people want to break through a chokepoint asap so they prefer using beams. Also, maelstrom layouts means shuriken might actually takeover too many nodes at once for you to micromanage.

SxSnipeR

Post by SxSnipeR » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Depends on what you mean by useful. Shuriken is useful for either ignoring link priority or taking down 3+ nodes at once.

This - When people put a core hanging off a node you need to get past without wasting time, Shuriken is awesome.

If you take too many nodes to micromanage, do it more often and practice, you'#ll get it in the end if you orientate the network in a manner at which you can fast tap everything to doom.

4 out of 5 noobs recommend beam cannon.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 pm

I finally got another kraken attempt this morning. I think moving the one code gate up front is dissuading attacks. I think one of the fun things about the previous designs is that they looked more vulnerable than they were due to my level which attracted more attempts.

I've redesigned my network a bit because of this video. Moved my second ice off that turret and have two turrets backing up that first turret. Redid the front area a little. But one ice up there isn't great. I need my 4th turret.

I noticed that my sentries don't have link priority over my ices/turrets any more. That was important to me. Why is that? Is it because they now have open links making them less important?

https://youtu.be/gmrQFK9D6aI

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Talk about ice wall spam. 11 ice walls at that level is a lot.
If he was smarter then he would have actually wraithed your black ice at the start instead of code gate.
Then he would have saved himself like 3 ice walls and a bunch of beams.

But yeah, one black ice alone at the front really doesn't do much.

Link priority just depends on what order you connect the nodes in so connect the sentry first to the node then your turret/ice afterwards.