Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Best strategies of building your network
RigrmRtis

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by RigrmRtis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Haha that AV back door finally got me due to shocker. Figured that might happen eventually. Wouldn't be an issue with my lvl9 core design. But, until then, I'm thinking about how I can mitigate that. I might take the first cannon off the guardian because multi tasking was a bit of an issue on that guy this time.

Maybe move a sentry in to the front network so I can unlink that back door completely... as uncomfortable as that would make me with wraiths, they haven't been much of an issue yet. And that back door now has been.

https://youtu.be/ohmiTPaE01E

Edit: maybe... like this

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Finally, an attacker who used the flank.

Ok so you're cutting off the black ices from the guardian/turrets. I agree with that.
You're also bringing your highest level sentry to the middle of your network. That's also a good idea.

I would switch the lvl 1 scanner with the lvl 1 sentry. That lets the turret pass along the high level sentry's antivirus to the black ices.

I would move the lvl 5 sentry to the back with the resources like how your previous network layout was.
However, I suggest you downgrade the sentry to lvl 1 so you can use it as a chokepoint.

Disconnect the core from the database. If the attacker takes the core there is no way for you to take it back with just a database.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:01 pm

I agree with disconnecting the core. I don't think I can swap the sentry and the scanner. In fact, now that I think about it, I think I have to move that one ice off the lvl1 sentry back to the program library. I don't want to force them do deal with either of the ices initially due to link priority. I want them to stop paying attention to the ices and start thinking about the middle area so I want the scanner to go down before either ice and I want them to try to protect it. Even if I did swap the sentry with the scanner, I think it would go down before it could install AV anywhere in that front section anyway.

I also don't hate the fact that they have to take down the lvl5 sentry before they can use one of the ices to go after the other. Force them to hurry up a bit and hopefully use a few extra programs or just waste some more time. Which is the name of the game with this network. Annoy them until they either run out of a particular program type or run out of time. I just know I'm going to get all of my stuff wraithed. But hopefully not often until I can deal with stealth better in a few levels.

I think I gotta deal with no AV in the back area and hope it gets spread from the middle area before it becomes an issue.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Putting the program library all the way back there seems pretty pointless.

Putting the mine behind the turrets might not be a good idea because that forces attackers to deal with them rather than maybe try to ignore them if the mine was in the back area instead.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 pm

I'm OK with them getting the mine. I'm not really trying to hide it. It doesn't hold enough coins to bother me enough. Each time I log in, they get sent to the back area. I suspect most people won't get to it anyway. But, if they do, while they're securing their respective areas, those will be the last things to go down and will provide a little extra protection that I wouldn't otherwise have. I had some open links and I figure having them where they are is better than just throwing them in the back or something. At least they can provide a little bit of extra defense. Unless you can think of a more strategic location for them. That's the best I could come up with. :)

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:52 am

I was just thinking, I think the scanner is such a reliable kraken choke point is because the shielded turret gets link priority. So you have the ice breaking the shields and one beam + shield + kraken isn't going to take down the turret while it's getting fed new shields from the guardian before the ice can break through. It'll take a few tries. So when I move a code gate to the current scanner position and shift the network back, I'll have to move an ice to the other side of the code gate to break shields. One ice and a turret should be OK in the front area though.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:24 am

Wait so are you saying the scanner will be behind or in front of the first code gate?

If in front, then I think it could work.
If behind, you will be sacrificing the code gate.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:57 am

What do you mean by in front? My plan is to actually upgrade that scanner and stick it behind a third code gate in the front area to cover the second code gate and the front defenders, have the second scanner covering the third code gate in the back, use the mixer as my new first choke point in the middle section and downgrade a database to lvl1 to be a turret target in the front section. The new turret replaces the ice that's going to cover the mixer and possibly one of the turrets just in case in the second section that will now be cut off by a code gate. And stick a 4th sentry in the back area. Then focus on upgrading my defenses with the one database.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:19 am

Don't downgrade your database. You need it to upgrade core.

If you upgrade that lvl 1 scanner then it won't be as good of a chokepoint anymore. Plus you will tank your level higher than necessary. It's fine if the first code gate in the front area is sacrificed to a wraith. That's what happens at lower levels. Core isn't high level enough to let you have a high level scanner to stop wraiths.

You don't need a fourth sentry. Your base isn't big enough for it.

You can actually use your guardian as a chokepoint if you keep it low level. When you face higher level attackers, guardian shields won't really make a big difference unless on a code gate or stacked twice by two guardians.

Again, the higher level you get as you plan ahead, the less you need to worry about kraken.
If you really want to plan for higher level attackers then I'd worry more about portal.

3ly

Post by 3ly » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:21 am

Is it necessary to upgrade the 2nd Mixer? Or is just 1 enough to hold the b-coins for program upgrades?
After all it's a pretty good choke point with 3 program slots and 4 connection ports.
IGN: 3ly
Lvl: 23 C: 7

Merry Christmas!!
[~3ly]