Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Best strategies of building your network
Yopee
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:24 pm

I never bothered to defend core from kraken at lower levels so I find this to be a pretty interesting "What if" scenario.

Just remember once you encounter stealth (like lvl 25+?) then you for sure need to change your network layout.

I wanna see more kraken fails meanwhile. They're very entertaining.

RigrmRtis
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:53 pm

When I get a few attempts with this layout, I'll post video. :) I have had one person use stealth against me. The lvl7 sentry in the back was my MVP. They wraithed all of my turrets and ices but got stuck at the code gates. If they had a kraken and defended the second scanner, I probably would have had issues.

I know this design has a shelf life but I'm hoping that when stealth is more of an issue, I'll have (or at least be close to having) my level 9 core. With an extra sentry, guardian, and turret, I'm hoping I can make myself a nice little defensive network up front and unlink that AV back door. At which point I can move one of the code gates between the first sentry and the scanner. I'd lose ice backup on the scanner but I could have my third turret helping out there instead.

I think I'll need a higher level scanner in range of that first code gate, though, wouldn't I? Would one code gate/scanner be enough to dissuade too much mischief-making in what would be the middle section of my network? Or would I need to sacrifice something for a third code gate? That might cause me issues with network length and I want one code gate where it currently is as a kraken backstop. But I feel like we can work around stealth while keeping with the spirit of this network.

Yopee
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 pm

You're still fine for now because attackers don't have enough disk space probably for both stealth and brute force.
Once someone uses portal then yeah, you will have major issues because portal is basically another flank to your security.

Usually, you need 2 code gates in range of a lvl 6 scanner to have any chance at stopping a portal.
Nodes near the start of your network will be wraithed.
Most people will sacrifice at least one code gate at the start to prevent portal.

The other issue with stopping stealth is you must force the attacker to go through code gates. Your current network is too interconnected so attacker has too many ways in.

It's pretty hard to defend against both kraken and stealth at the same time at lower levels because one requires you to branch out your network while the other requires you to narrow down the path through your code gates.

Good news is kraken goes away when you reach a certain level range. Nobody really uses it anymore because too many people throw their core outside so the attacker probably wouldn't compile 3 krakens just to attack your network alone by then.

User avatar
legal
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by legal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:16 pm

RigrmRtis wrote:When I get a few attempts with this layout, I'll post video. :) I have had one person use stealth against me. The lvl7 sentry in the back was my MVP. They wraithed all of my turrets and ices but got stuck at the code gates. If they had a kraken and defended the second scanner, I probably would have had issues.

I know this design has a shelf life but I'm hoping that when stealth is more of an issue, I'll have (or at least be close to having) my level 9 core. With an extra sentry, guardian, and turret, I'm hoping I can make myself a nice little defensive network up front and unlink that AV back door. At which point I can move one of the code gates between the first sentry and the scanner. I'd lose ice backup on the scanner but I could have my third turret helping out there instead.

I think I'll need a higher level scanner in range of that first code gate, though, wouldn't I? Would one code gate/scanner be enough to dissuade too much mischief-making in what would be the middle section of my network? Or would I need to sacrifice something for a third code gate? That might cause me issues with network length and I want one code gate where it currently is as a kraken backstop. But I feel like we can work around stealth while keeping with the spirit of this network.
Not really sure what you are going for the 'spirit of this network?' all networks have weakness that is the nature of this game. You focus to much on one thing over another and you will pay for that. There is a balance you can strike in end game but you are much to early into the game to even be thinking about striking a balance that will stop most attacks. the best low levels can do is either slow people down till they run out of time or ignore things like stealth, and be defense harden. or you can focus on trying to stop stealth and ignore defenses. Either way you will have this issue till end game in one area or another. You will be taken that much is for sure as there are some decent players in this game who will exploit those weakness, If you like your lay out keep it till you starts to fail then figure out how to fix that fail so it is not repeated. that is best you can do at the point of the game you are in.
Username: Legal
Level: 48 (12/25/16)
Core: 12
Country: USA
Highest reputation: meaningless
Highest world rank: meaningless
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.

RigrmRtis
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by RigrmRtis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:54 am

Why be lazy early? Trying to game out attack scenarios is what makes this game fun. I'm not trying to get the most points or levels or whatever people in this game try to get. I'm trying to defend my network.


Yopee:

Hrm if I got a third code gate and leveled up both scanners, I could have one scanner covering my front network from the back protected by a code gate so they'll never wraith that scanner and move my guardian in to the current scanner choke position with the scanner hanging off that. And I could probably deal with a portal over there with things renetworked a bit. I'll post a picture when I eventually get core level 9. I have a plan to deal with the extra net connection too.

In the meantime, this person did pretty well :) I wonder if they would have had a different outcome if they used the middle net connection or more tentacles.

https://youtu.be/KFbmViM0VJw
Last edited by RigrmRtis on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yopee
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by Yopee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:11 am

lmao the guy tried to make a path for kraken by ignoring the rest of your security using protectors.
Talk about being a pacifist haha

He could've bought like 16 beams instead of the 4 protectors and finished off the turret guarding the scanner. It was hilarious how he had taken over all of the surrounding nodes but he just couldn't do anything to that last turret.

Well at least this one knew that those black ices needed to go down fast.

RigrmRtis
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by RigrmRtis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Pretty solid battering ram strat here :)
When someone finally gets through, I'll share that too.

https://youtu.be/LgKZOWUKZ_o

3ly
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:42 am

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by 3ly » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:22 pm

RigrmRtis wrote:Pretty solid battering ram strat here :)
When someone finally gets through, I'll share that too.

https://youtu.be/LgKZOWUKZ_o
HAHAHAHAHAHA GGWP Mr Pixel.
IGN: 3ly
Lvl: 23 C: 7

Merry Christmas!!
[~3ly]

RigrmRtis
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by RigrmRtis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:02 pm

3ly wrote:
RigrmRtis wrote:Pretty solid battering ram strat here :)
When someone finally gets through, I'll share that too.

https://youtu.be/LgKZOWUKZ_o
HAHAHAHAHAHA GGWP Mr Pixel.

My favorite part is when he pauses for like a second before deploying his krakens like "Ahh crap! I thought those were worms!" LOL

Yopee
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by Yopee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:22 pm

lmao how is that person level 22?

I can't get enough of how every single one of your attackers just ignores the two black ices until they realize they're out of programs.
Last round's MVP was the turret, this time it's the black ice on the scanner and evolver haha

Post Reply