Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Best strategies of building your network
Yopee

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:35 am

Try to avoid splitting up money evenly when upgrading your sentries. You only need one strong sentry, not three decent sentries. I'm thinking of selling and downgrading two of my sentries to lvl 1 soon lol
Same goes for your scanners and code gates.

That second attackerin the video was a bit smarter. He took down your first black ice with beams but he didn't do it for the second black ice until way later.
And I bet he hates himself for not bringing shuriken when he got to your guardian.

A bit of a side note here about shuriken for you to decide if you want to evolve it or build your base against it in the future
Shuriken is generally weaker compared to beam but because almost nobody uses them, nobody builds their base with shuriken in mind either.
The idea is that if there are 3 or more things to attack, shuriken will be faster at taking them all down at once compared to beam.

Portal is one situation where I use it a lot.
A lot of people build their bases like yours where they interconnect everything which makes guardians and black ices really good targets for portal.
I just need to put up one single fight and it's over rather than dealing with spread out security.

The other situation where shuriken is useful is to ignore link priorities.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 am

Yeah that's why I keep thinking about unlinking them. I'm just waiting for the back door to the guardian to bite me but it hasn't yet. I did move the last cannon off the sentry just so not all of my cannons would be double linked if the sentry fell.

Has anyone done an analysis of damage in vs damage out beam vs shrunken in different configurations? Ignoring link priority is a bonus but the faster each individual node goes down, the less damage it can put out. I just wonder where the tipping point is.

Edit: Maybe like this. Using the mixer to spread AV

legal

Post by legal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:14 pm

RigrmRtis wrote:Yeah that's why I keep thinking about unlinking them. I'm just waiting for the back door to the guardian to bite me but it hasn't yet. I did move the last cannon off the sentry just so not all of my cannons would be double linked if the sentry fell.

Has anyone done an analysis of damage in vs damage out beam vs shrunken in different configurations? Ignoring link priority is a bonus but the faster each individual node goes down, the less damage it can put out. I just wonder where the tipping point is.

Edit: Maybe like this. Using the mixer to spread AV

that is not a good set up any player can basically avoid all your security, the best setup force them thru your code gates and thru a chock point. as that net work sets they can just avoid half the security which makes it a tasty network to hit. Yes plenty of players have tested the the beam damage vs shruken. beams win because of cost. Plain and simple. yes shruken can have a place I find I never use them nor need them. They are a waste to use.
Username: Legal
Level: 48 (12/25/16)
Core: 12
Highest reputation: meaningless
Highest world rank: meaningless
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:02 pm

That doesn't work, legal. That's what everyone tries to do. I specifically want it to look possible so people try. But it's not. I also don't understand why some people put security in-line with an effective path. That's like giving away a defense node. Here's another video with my current network from over night:

https://youtu.be/_d0lLyR5RDI

Yopee: I think you're right and I need to downgrade that first sentry to level 1. I like splitting up the black ices on those first nodes. I'm pleased that the far kraken still goes through the sentry. I wasn't completely sure that it would.

legal

Post by legal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:16 pm

RigrmRtis wrote:That doesn't work, legal. That's what everyone tries to do. I specifically want it to look possible so people try. But it's not. I also don't understand why some people put security in-line with an effective path. That's like giving away a defense node. Here's another video with my current network from over night:

https://youtu.be/_d0lLyR5RDI

Yopee: I think you're right and I need to downgrade that first sentry to level 1. I like splitting up the black ices on those first nodes. I'm pleased that the far kraken still goes through the sentry. I wasn't completely sure that it would.
Because they do not know how to play the game. All you have to do is ice wall and a protector let ice fall away once protector is, then drop shrunken, and quickly do it again. but looking at the levels of your network not necessary. bam pass it and I can forget about all those security nodes all but one actually, Seriously just because only average players that do not think out side the box tried your base and failed does not mean it is not possible. Honestly I would get pass it all very fast. I would do so only having to take one turrent and then take all your loot. again not a good set up when you actually are not going up against an experienced player. But your only level 19 you have a ways to go before I can find your base and prove it.
Username: Legal
Level: 48 (12/25/16)
Core: 12
Highest reputation: meaningless
Highest world rank: meaningless
Find me on my discord for help @ https://discord.me/unofficialhacker along with many other, high level players.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:26 pm

When it starts to be a problem, I'll adjust. I'm sure you're very good. Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Just watched that video of the new network setup.
That top kraken got nowhere with the black ice watching the evolver haha

What legal says is true but keep in mind that legal is higher level and stronger than me so his perspective might be even more unrelatable than mine for you to deal with inexperienced kraken brute forcers.

I didn't even think throwing the black ices up front would be a good idea but these kraken people just mindlessly ignore them. I wish there were attackers on my level who behaved like these guys haha

One last lesson to be learned from this is probably multitasking.
When you let attackers take multiple nodes at once in separate locations, this is sometimes good for you because it becomes a lot harder for the attacker to manage all locations at once.
This is especially true for kraken because it runs off on its own while all the other programs slowly catch up.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Yeah I think the sheer number of nodes they have to pay attention to through most of the hack causes them problems with link priority working against them too.

If people start taking down my cannons, as much as I'm enjoying the split ices on the starting nodes, I was thinking about sticking that second ice on the other side of the scanner choke to help protect the back end. Link priority on the scanner would have them attacking the cannon first and the ice could watch that cannon and the second sentry in case they get in through the guardian. Maybe a second cannon too. By the time the ice goes down, that whole back end will be pretty screwed anyway so it won't be much of a foothold. Might buy me a few more levels with this design. What do you think?

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:42 pm

I think you should just let each black ice cover one evolver/program library at the start. Keep them focused on protecting the two ways in and not give the attacker as many program slots to take down your black ices.

I don't think the attacker can do much work even if you let them have one free kraken going through. A bunch of them can't even afford 3 krakens based on your videos.

The moment they take down both black ices then your turrets are screwed because flank. But don't bother trying to protect your turrets from being flanked by moving the black ices back. You sacrifice too much firepower at the start. If it happens then it happens.

You still have the two code gates at the back buying time so I think it should be fine.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Yeah you're probably right. It would drive my OCD crazy leaving one starting node without ice protection. But that could be useful too. If they stick to the unprotected starting path, they're never going to get that ice off the scanner. Even if that one starting node will never get AV, the remaining two will be greater threats to the sentry. It'll probably look like a pretty easy target hanging out there by itself too.

I really appreciate you thinking this through with me.