Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Best strategies of building your network
RigrmRtis

Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by RigrmRtis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:32 pm

I've been playing for a couple weeks now and I see a lot of people trying to defend against Krakens by basically giving up. Offering up their core as a freebie outside of their network. That's not really in my nature so I've been trying to design a network to defend against Kraken attacks while remaining reasonably resilient to stealth and normal brute force. This is what I've come up with.

I'm particularly proud of the net connection mechanics. The sentry will always have top priority for attacking programs. So, unless they're using shirukens, they have to take out the sentry before they can take out the black ice. And they can't use the sentry to help with much after they've captured it. The mechanics of the black ice defense is interesting too. Because it often seems to have an attack en-route after they've captured it. Possibly forcing them to re-capture one of the starting nodes as a distraction and interrupting a Kraken tentacle. As the black ice takes back the starting nodes (albeit, briefly), the anti virus pings on the sentry has from time to time forced some sort of extra defense there too. I also tried to place the black ice nodes in a way that their 5 program slots won't come back to haunt me like they have in the past.

The Kraken's path to the core is basically one long choke point. With the bcoins (what I care about most) out of range of its tentacles should it actually reach the core. Forcing extra work/time there too.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yopee

Re: Defending against Krakens with core inside network?

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:19 am

It's generally not viable to defend against kraken at low levels because you don't have enough nodes to play around with the pathing.

You're still below 20 so go ahead and experiment. Learn how everything works before going too high level.

Once you encounter stealth (25+ I think?), your current network will be very vulnerable to wraith/portal.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:38 am

Seems to be working against kraken so far. Unless I'm just attracting bad players. I even left a bunch of bcoins unspent to tempt attacks. :) I can post some videos. They're kind of funny.

Vulnerable to stealth even with the code gates? Could you elaborate a bit? Assuming I get my second scanner sufficiently upgraded, where would the portal go? At my second sentry? That seems like the best option but not great. I was under the assumption that stealth isn't going to get past my code gates + upgraded scanner.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:36 am

I would portal on your guardian. Take out all your security at once minus one sentry and one black ice out front.

Less aggressive people might portal on the server farm and wraith the code gate plus turret next to it.
Or portal on the turret to have access to both server farm and mine to take down you first code gate fast.

With your current layout, you're sacrificing your security for the code gates. Usually it goes the other way around.

As for kraken, the main weakness of your layout is it gives the attacker a second route to attack and flank your security.

The start is already horrible to defend. Poor black ice can only shoot one thing at a time but all 3 krakens are coming in from a separate node each.

And then from there, you have another black ice connected to the first one so that's guaranteed to fall to the attacker. 5 program slots and high firewall means probably don't even need ice wall.
Sames goes for second black ice to the guardian.

So while your black ices and guardian are being flanked, the kraken should have started distracting the first 2 turrets by constantly taking over the scanner and compiler. That means only your third turret is actually concentrated on the guardian flank.

When your first 2 turrets turn back on the guardian, then the scanner and compiler can be used to take them down.
Same thing for the last turret.

And then kraken just does the rest.

So long story short, black ice and turret can only shoot at one thing at a time. Don't give them multiple targets or they will be confused.
Instead, use sentry to fight everything at once. Too bad your high level sentry is stuck all the way out in the back with no security nodes to spread it.

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:35 am

We can armchair how bad this guy is. But the defense nodes target with the priority that I'd like them to. I kinda like having the high level sentry back there. Figure maybe someone would want to wraith it otherwise. It upgrades the other ones pretty quick. Would be faster if that scanner wasn't upgrading.

How would you approach node defense if you portaled in on the guardian? I was considering moving the mine somewhere else. I just stuck it there to ping antivirus as one last thing to pay attention to.

https://youtu.be/TzZw2bmePu0
Last edited by RigrmRtis on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:24 am

Yeah, the attacker in the video is really bad. He's one of those lazy farmers who tries to maximize profit by letting only kraken and worms do everything but he takes like a whole minute just to reach your first black ice because of that.
He doesn't learn and spends another minute just to move one node forward to your second black ice.

Don't make the same mistake as that person does.

Your defense in the video works perfectly because the attacker behaves the way you expect them to.
Doesn't use a single beam to go onto the black ice guardian flank. Sits back and wastes time with worms.

One tip with code gates is to only give the attacker a single node with 3 program slots to slowly break through the gate. This slows down the attack by a lot especially on lower level networks.

The way to defend against stealth is to limit where the attacker can go so they are forced through gates in range of scanner. You have both in the back of your base so your current layout isn't really possible to defend against stealth with.

As for the mine, it's decently upgraded so I'm assuming you actually want to protect it rather than sacrifice it so move it inside with the rest of your resources behind the gates.

The lvl 1 mixer seems like it could be sacrificed though so I would stick that in between your black ices. Remember how it took a whole minute for that attacker to get from the first black ice to the second black ice? You could probably drag that out to a minute and a half with a lvl 1 mixer in between them.

Or better yet, put the mixer where your first sentry is now. That sentry isn't really doing anything so stick that in between the two black ices instead. And maybe sell it and buy it again to bring it back down to lvl 1 so it's easy to retake.

Hopefully all of your attackers are lazy people that don't spend even a single beam on the black ices haha

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:08 am

Yeah, hopefully!

Hrm the mixer swap with the sentry may be worthwhile. Maybe lure in a few more farmers too! Do you know what the priority of the mixer is when compared to black ice? I want to make sure the top node gets targeted first to draw fire away from the black ice. That's really why the sentry is there. Otherwise I bet anti virus pings would keep the mixer in jeopardy pretty well.

I've been wrestling with the idea of throwing something between the black ices. But I keep asking myself, if I do that, why not just unlink them? I'm not sure the first black ice would be as threatening if it didn't have another black ice backing it up.

Unlinking them would remove the back door in to my defense but it's still not clear to me exactly how easy it is to use my guardian for offense with the sentry back there being the first target and everything having shields by then. I think you'd need a couple shockers or something. Seems lot a lot of trouble. Or is that typically what people do in these situations and does it typically work well?

I should probably move the mine somewhere though and get that link off the code gate. Doesn't really matter to me that much if someone gets it though. It's got a decent firewall which could be handy some place.

Thanks for taking the time!

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:36 am

Black ice is security node so it will have priority over resource nodes.
But my point is if you watch the replay, that top sentry goes down in like half a second with krakens on it so it doesn't really draw any fire away from the black ice underneath.

Your first black ice is threatening but that's because it can retake the program library/evolver in a couple of shots. It's not threatening at all if it is taken over. Black ice is actually a really good foothold for attackers because of its high firewall and 5 program slots.
That's why I want to separate the 2 black ices from each other. Don't give the attackers one strong foothold onto a second strong foothold.

I thought you kept the first black ice linked because you wanted antivirus to reach it. Apparently, attackers are too dumb to take advantage of the flank so I don't see the harm in keeping it that way lol

Ice wall + protector + shuriken on your guardian will take care of all nodes connected to it. In higher levels shocker can help a lot as well but on lower levels it's not really needed.
Again, very few people use shuriken and your attackers apparently don't really bother rushing to the black ices/guardian for some reason so I guess you don't need to worry about it lol

I had a somewhat crazy idea.
Have one black ice keep watch on one program library to shut down the first kraken.
Have a second black ice keep watch on the second program library to shut down the second kraken.
Let the attacker get one free kraken going through the evolver untouched by either black ices.
This lets each black ice focus fire better and lowers exposure to attacks down to one program library each.

I never bothered to defend against kraken at lower levels so if you do end up trying this, tell me how it works haha

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 am

Oh yeah I suppose that link is good for AV I didn't think about that. But I kind of like possibly throwing them on single nodes. I have the one on the scanner to help break up shields since it has 4 program slots. I guess I could just keep the one connected to that scanner, huh? It would split focus but that'd be better for non-kraken hacks.

The sentry does go down pretty fast to kraken. But it would be more resilient to beams than the mixer. And possibly getting them to waste some beams would be nice. I also like letting that one go down first to kind of encourage them along the path I want them to take. ☺️ Given unlimited building threads, it would also be higher than level 4.

I was reading that shirukens don't hold up very well later game so I haven't been sweating them too much. And, yeah, I don't see them often anyway. If they become an issue, I think I can work around it. ☺️

RigrmRtis

Post by RigrmRtis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:22 am

If you want to watch another farmer get confused (still the same network as the last video. I hadn't updated it yet)

https://youtu.be/uRVxPgHGfcI