Need serious help on my Base.

Best strategies of building your network
Xlaus

Need serious help on my Base.

Post by Xlaus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Ok I am pretty new to the game and I just need help on my Base...I don't really understand the basics very well as well

http://m.imgur.com/pYTJg3S

Please tell me if theres anything wrong or anything I need to change..I am tired of being hacked by people 10 times a day.

Xlaus

Re: Need serious help on my Base.

Post by Xlaus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:31 pm

In case the picture is too small or not clear just let me know and I will take anther shot

Barons

Post by Barons » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi welcome to the forums!

Check here
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=366

You'll see some examples of core 4 layouts as well as get some tips.

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Hello hello! Don't worry, the picture looks fine :)

For network design, you're best off putting a post in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14&start=210 and viewing the information here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=366.
That being said, I can offer a little advice:

* You can have nodes 9 connections away from your net connection. Use that extra reach by attaching the Compiler to the Program Library instead of the Evolver, and detaching the Scanner from your B-coin Mixer.
* Utilise the Sentry as a choke point (see here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=358) and connect more of your Turrets and Black ICE to it.
* Don't connect Black Ice to all your biggest Firewall nodes. They have 5 slots which can be used to attack your strong nodes from.
* Build a Code Gate! Core level 4 lets you buy a fantastic defensive node.
* Prioritise levelling your Core to Level 5. It seems like a cheap answer, but early networks are supposed to be attacker friendly, to teach people how to succeed and to make progress. Level 5 will let you buy a Code Gate and a third Turret, great for repelling attackers.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

GeneralSeay

Post by GeneralSeay » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Xlaus wrote:Ok I am pretty new to the game and I just need help on my Base...I don't really understand the basics very well as well
First off, welcome to the forums, we're glad to add another to our ranks. You're already a better player than probably 90% of the playerbase because you weren't afraid to ask for help.
Pro tip: you can insert images directly into the thread by clicking the Img button or by typing [ img][/img] (without the space in the first set of brackets) and putting a direct link to the image in the middle. All you have to do to get the direct link is just right click on the image and select copy image address. Example: Image
Xlaus wrote:Please tell me if theres anything wrong or anything I need to change..I am tired of being hacked by people 10 times a day.
What you'll probably want to do is pick a node that can make many connections (at least 4), has few program slots (no more than 4) and has a low firewall, that node is going to be your choke point. Scanners and guardians are both very good choices for choke points because they have low firewalls and can make 1 more connection than they have program slots. Multiple connections means more defenses adjacent to it and that means more firepower! A low number of program slots prevents the attacker from properly securing a foothold there, usually the first slot will go to an ice wall and the other 2 will likely go to beam cannons (although shuriken aren't as bad of an idea here as you might think). But if this were a sentry instead of a scanner then there'd be room for a third beam cannon raising damage output by 50% and decreasing the amount of time for them to break through by 33%. Firewall is like hit points or health (and strength is damage per second), it determines how much damage is needed to capture that node, by having a low firewall node next to all your defenses you'll be able to quickly recapture it if/when it becomes infected. Make your chosen node (for you I recommend your scanner) the only way into the rest of your network so the attacker has to come through there. The idea is to fight back and forth over the node for as long as possible and while the attacker will almost certainly break through that node eventually, they'll have expended precious time and programs to doing so. Remember, time is on your side and they have a finite library capacity so every time you recapture that choke point node, not only will they have to retake it but they'll also need to replace any programs that they lost with it. Anything that wastes the attacker's time and programs is something to at least be considered. For you it'll be fairly straight forward setting up your choke point as you only have 3 security nodes (sentries don't count for this) so connect the 2 turrets and the black ice to the scanner. Because it won't take the attacker long to reach the choke point you'll need to have a sentry nearby so that antivirus will be on all 3 of those defensive nodes before the attacker takes the scanner. Choke points heavily rely on keeping your defenses maxed out to decrease the amount of time it takes to destroy their ice walls and retake the node (higher security node strength values) while also increasing the amount of time it takes to capture one of your nodes (higher security node firewall values). At your level the average attacker will probably break through after having lost and retaken the scanner at least twice but that depends on how fast they are at replacing their ice walls.

For the back end of your base (core and resources) there's 2 ways you can go about setting it up, either make a giant cluster or multiple branches or strands that are as long as possible. The former relies on your sentries (at least one of them) being maxed out to be effective so that your antivirus can fight back. This generally allows attackers to gain total control of the back end of your network faster but if they don't have many programs left (ice walls in particular) then you'll be able to maintain control fairly easily. Depending on how it is set up it can be made effective against worms too which is really important early on in the game when many players turn to worms to make up for low library capacity. The second of these is to make long strings or branches that can take a while to push through; however, this is extremely susceptible to worms if they are given enough time to eat their way through your resources. Most players will opt for the latter because to have enough connections for the cluster to work properly you pretty much need your core connected into it which becomes more and more dangerous as krakens begin popping up (krakens attack straight for your core and once they take it they will attack all nodes adjacent to it).

Here are some layouts that I put together:ImageMoving one of the sentries into the resource web might be a good idea, up to you.ImageImageThe only thing different between them is the rear end of the base. I know I spent a lot of time on it but it's actually really important at low levels before you get access to more defenses.
Luminaar wrote:* Build a Code Gate! Core level 4 lets you buy a fantastic defensive node.
This times 1000! A code gate, even if it's only level 1 will deter many not most attackers at your level until they can get battering rams. Just make sure that the enemy can't avoid any of them to get what they want because a common noobie mistake is to split them up so one or more can be avoided entirely (think circuits, you want them in series not in parallel). Code gates really help slow attackers down and are important in defending against hybrid attacks (combination of stealth and brute force). Ensure that scanners are covering them! While you shouldn't be worrying about stealth heists or hybrid attacks yet at least start to get comfortable with the concepts so a core level or 2 down the road they won't be a surprise when you're watching the replay of a higher level player wraithing half of your defenses or dropping a portal behind your front lines because your code gate or scanner wasn't where it needed to be. Here's a great thread that you might want to look into once your core is level 5 or 6: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=401

Xlaus

Post by Xlaus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:55 am

Hello everyone after reading all the amazing tips that you guys have given me I have made a new Base with 2 choke points please tell me if there's anything wrong

http://m.imgur.com/ePxCJhu

http://m.imgur.com/5SKB64m

Thank you for taking the time to write such long replys

Hackercritic

Post by Hackercritic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Xlaus wrote:Hello everyone after reading all the amazing tips that you guys have given me I have made a new Base with 2 choke points please tell me if there's anything wrong

http://m.imgur.com/ePxCJhu

http://m.imgur.com/5SKB64m

Thank you for taking the time to write such long replys
The idea of a choke point is such that there is only one way in. The way you have your scanner choke point set up is that i can bypass the scanner by attacking the sentry instead, and due to the attacking priorities of programs, they WILL attack the sentry first, effectively making your scanner chokepoint useless. I'd disconnect the sentry from the scanner. Also, your code gate is at the wrong position. It is meant for buying time. If you really want the code gate in that area you should swap it with the server farm. Although honestly i'd protect as much resources you can if i were you.