Positioning Sentry

Best strategies of building your network
Vyshnav Ramesh

Positioning Sentry

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Mon May 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi guyz,
1. I wonder which position will be the best for placing sentry. Near core, in the middle or at the last?
2. When will it get activated so it can spread the antivirus?

Fantöm

Re: Positioning Sentry

Postby Fantöm » Mon May 30, 2016 7:53 pm

I place mines at middle and far positions. Therefore the enemy cannot hack them straight away, since the antivirus is spread as soon as he starts hacking.
Personnal opinion : they are one of the best defences Imo.

BTW, do not place sentries next to each other, they are going to spread the same antivirus anyways. Place them a couple of nodes away from each other
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

Vyshnav Ramesh

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Mon May 30, 2016 8:10 pm

thankyou for the fast response. It helps.

Pnub_utter

Postby Pnub_utter » Tue May 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Also take into account in placement of sentry.

Black defense nodes take in antivirus instantly and can be chained together to increase initial spread.

Vyshnav Ramesh

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Tue May 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi Pnub,
Does that mean we should connect sentry to just 1 of the black defense nodes and chain the rest of them? Or should all dense nodes be connected directly to the sentry? Which is better?

Fantöm

Postby Fantöm » Tue May 31, 2016 6:15 pm

I personally like it connected with a bunch of black nodes. Note that you will get a white node ready to defend itself if several antivirus are coming on it at once. Try different layouts and figure how the antivirus spreads out when you will attack a network next time.
If you find me, look at my network and see how the Sentry acts and all. What's your hacking reputation (aka trophies) at? I can drop where you're at (I dropped at 650 today) so you can see if you need! ;)
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

maerg

Postby maerg » Tue May 31, 2016 9:38 pm

Vyshnav Ramesh wrote:Hi guyz,
1. I wonder which position will be the best for placing sentry. Near core, in the middle or at the last?
2. When will it get activated so it can spread the antivirus?

Just a small note for spreading - Sentry is not active during Stealth phase of attack. This is not an issue at first, but somewhere around level 25-30, Stealth becomes really strong part of game-play... Attacker can use Wraith or Portal programs to disable the Sentry even before it starts to spread antivirus.

So it is good idea to "hide" Sentry node behind the Scanner node.

Vyshnav Ramesh

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:28 am

Tnx fantom and maerg
I'm 101 trophies @ Fantom
I hvn't got access..so I hv to figure out.. @maerg

mr.warez

Postby mr.warez » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Hello,

I just started game yesterday, and probably i made some structural mistake, my sentrys are directly connected to my inet link...how can i move it since i cant cut the connection?

tks

Trickster
Site Admin

Postby Trickster » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:28 pm

mr.warez wrote:how can i move it since i cant cut the connection?

In most cases you can cut the connection by holding your finger on one node and then swipe to the node on the other side of the connection and release the finger.

Plus if you open BUILD menu, there is REBUILD MODE where you can edit your network more freely.

EDIT: Topic added to our wiki: http://hackersthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Net_Building

Return to “NETWORK ARCHITECTURE”