How to defend against blaster + protecter combo?

Best strategies of building your network
doublelift

How to defend against blaster + protecter combo?

Post by doublelift » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:27 pm

The only times my network has been successfully hacked is when the attacker utilizes my scanner for the Blaster + Protector combo.

How do I change my network to be able to defend against this, but still be able to defend against other methods?

Here is my current network:
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1642.JPG (160.13 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
I will find you, and I will hack you.

Luminaar

Re: How to defend against blaster + protecter combo?

Post by Luminaar » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Unless you can break the firewall (and usually attached Ice Wall) before the Protector installs, there is little defense against the combo itself. Spreading out defences to make a Protector less appealing is possibly the best option (although not necessarily fantastic).

It seems like there's a fine line between too much and too little pressure on a node: too much and Protector+Blaster is great value, too little and Beam Cannons make short work of it ...
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

GeneralSeay

Post by GeneralSeay » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:38 am

Unless you could somehow overwhelm ice walls with damage forcing them to opt for protectors but in enough places that they won't have enough disk space then I don't think you'll be able to have a truly effective counter to both blaster/protector combos and beam cannons. Maybe if you made some sort of singular massive chunk of interconnected nodes then you would scare both kinds of attack off. But it would be messy and would rely on you having as high of level sentry as you possibly could.

Outline of what the network setup would require:
Large amounts of damage output (necessitating the use of protectors or at least ice walls), it would need to be able to do it in a many nodes (stretch the limits of their disk space).
Possibly at the same time (too many things going on at once makes them sloppy, them not defending a node immediately could mean they have to capture it multiple times).
Losing a node wouldn't significantly compromise the damage output against another node (security clusters have this issue, taking out one or 2 nodes and properly defending them leads to the downfall of the entire network).
Damage output against a particular node would need to come from as many neighboring nodes as possible (blaster can't just lock a turret down and be safe).

As much as I hate to admit it but a giant cluster ticks all of those boxes, plus it is nearly invincible to fat fingered attackers. It looks like I'm going to have to put one of these together, I hate myself so much for this.
ImageI think this one screenshot just singlehandedly brought the shuriken into the high level meta. "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should." That quote just about sums this entire project up perfectly. I left the net connections outside of the code gates just because I figure a setup like this still won't hold them out forever and it'll waste more of their time. The primary failings of this are that it doesn't protect against kraken attacks very well if they reach the core and go nom nom nom all over everything (should I split up the code gates?) and you'll lose a ton of resources if they make it past about the first or second layer.

On a side note, I feel like this "style" of network amplifies level differences significantly, if the attacker's programs are better upgraded than your nodes then they'll blaze through everything both quickly and without having to waste many programs, on the other hand, if their programs aren't as far along has they should be then this base would probably keep them at bay quite easily.

Yopee

Post by Yopee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:03 am

Protector with Blaster is the ultimate defense with the strongest single target offense.

In theory, you could try to do the usual turret/black ice + scanner/guardian chokepoint but in reality, it's probably not gonna work out for you if the Protector/Blaster are at a decent level.

The idea is that Protector and Blaster costs a bit of disk space and a lot of time. This means it's a lot easier to bait the attacker into wasting it somewhere or to run out the clock.

I prefer to bait by using a scanner chokepoint with antivirus on worthless nodes (e.g. library, evolver, etc.). This requires a high level (9+) sentry and a bit of time to set up before the attacker arrives. I usually use a code gate as one of the nodes to force out a Battering Ram to delay the Blaster set up as well (need to wait for the Protector before deleting Ice Wall).

If you still really want to fight the Protector Blaster combo head-on, then keep in mind that Blaster is designed to attack one node at a time and Protector is for a constant stream of damage.
In other words, do not use turrets and make sure to use a node with 4 or 5 connections as the battlefield.
I haven't really tried to fight it but the ideal set up would be either 4 black ices + 1 guardian chokepoint or 3 black ices + 1 sentry + 1 guardian chokepoint.
4 black ices would probably be better if you have all of them upgraded to a high level and the attacker's Protector is really high level.
3 black ices + 1 sentry would be a lot more economical because you might still be able to break through a medium level Protector with 3 medium level black ices and one high level sentry to draw aggro.

If the attacker's Blaster is high level then you're probably screwed either way lol

You know what, I like GeneralSeay's fat finger tactic. It seems to be more reliable to target the player rather than the game mechanics lol

GeneralSeay

Post by GeneralSeay » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Yopee wrote:I haven't really tried to fight it but the ideal set up would be either 4 black ices + 1 guardian chokepoint or 3 black ices + 1 sentry + 1 guardian chokepoint.
4 black ices would probably be better if you have all of them upgraded to a high level and the attacker's Protector is really high level.
3 black ices + 1 sentry would be a lot more economical because you might still be able to break through a medium level Protector with 3 medium level black ices and one high level sentry to draw aggro.
I too am wondering if multiple black ices on a node would be the best way to handle blaster/protector. Because the blaster's stun only affects the antivirus and because all the black ices would do their damage at the same time they'd have a decent enough chance at knocking out both the protector and the node's base firewall in a single instant. For example, 3 level 8 black ices would do 3x52x3.5=546 damage at once and if the choke point node is a level 1 guardian (250 firewall) then there's more than a 50% chance that the black ices will both destroy the protector and retake the node without giving the attacker a chance to replace the protector.
Yopee wrote:You know what, I like GeneralSeay's fat finger tactic. It seems to be more reliable to target the player rather than the game mechanics lol
Thanks, although I would never use sort of build, you'd lose too many resources even if you repelled the enemy attack.