Choke point defence

Best strategies of building your network

At higher levels on a three defence choke point, which is better to use.

2 Turrets + 1 Black Ice
50%
1 Turret + 2 Black Ice
15%
1 Sentry + 2 Black Ice
No votes
3 Turrets
25%
Other
10%

Total votes: 20

Silken

Choke point defence

Post by Silken » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Most people at lower levels use 2 Turrets + 1 Black Ice on a choke point. But with the strength of shields at higher levels, I'm wondering if a better combination is out there. I'm leaning towards 1 Turret + 2 Black Ice and have voted that way.

If you vote other, for example using code gates, please explain the set-up.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

90skushkid

Re: Choke point defence

Post by 90skushkid » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Silken wrote:Most people at lower levels use 2 Turrets + 1 Black Ice on a choke point. But with the strength of shields at higher levels, I'm wondering if a better combination is out there. I'm leaning towards 1 Turret + 2 Black Ice and have voted that way.

If you vote other, for example using code gates, please explain the set-up.
I voted for the 2 B.i. and turrets. if im correct isn't the priority b.i. then turrets anyways?
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

kingofsnipers

Post by kingofsnipers » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:21 pm

I voted 3 turrets but now I am up for 2turrets +1 ICE, everyone learns on the way :)
Level: 42
Rep: 350-450
I am noob, but tryhard :D

Bumbledolt

Post by Bumbledolt » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:41 am

Where is the option for Two turrets and one CG ?
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
IGN-Bumbledolt
Level 21
Farming 0-200

Luminaar

Post by Luminaar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 am

Bumbledolt wrote:Where is the option for Two turrets and one CG ?
That'll be the "Other" category ... ;)
Silken wrote:If you vote other, for example using code gates, please explain the set-up.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Echo1Echo2

Post by Echo1Echo2 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:23 am

Why don't most people go for 2 black ice/1 turret?

I go for this combo for the sudden burst that 2 black ice can have on, for example, an ICE wall. The turret is supposed to weaken it before the charges hit. This causes the 2 black ice to nearly instantly take back the node before the hacker can install another ICE wall, and if the black ice don't do enough then the turret might take the last bit of firewall left before the hacker can react. (It's also easier to prioritize the levels of 2 defense nodes (black ice) and keep them equal, rather than prioritizing 3 nodes (turrets) and keeping them equal).

Is there some reasoning as to why 2 turret/1 black ice is better that i'm just not seeing?

brzytki

Post by brzytki » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:00 am

Echo1Echo2 wrote:Why don't most people go for 2 black ice/1 turret?

I go for this combo for the sudden burst that 2 black ice can have on, for example, an ICE wall. The turret is supposed to weaken it before the charges hit. This causes the 2 black ice to nearly instantly take back the node before the hacker can install another ICE wall, and if the black ice don't do enough then the turret might take the last bit of firewall left before the hacker can react. (It's also easier to prioritize the levels of 2 defense nodes (black ice) and keep them equal, rather than prioritizing 3 nodes (turrets) and keeping them equal).

Is there some reasoning as to why 2 turret/1 black ice is better that i'm just not seeing?
I had 2 Black ICEs and a turret some time ago but i wasn't really happy about it. Quite often people would capture my Black ICE just before it shot, meaning that for the last ~3 sec it did nothing apart from attacking with AV.

I have a similar problem now on my 2nd choke point where i have 2 BIs and i'd want 1 BI and 1 turret instead.

Silken

Post by Silken » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:12 am

Echo1Echo2 wrote:Why don't most people go for 2 black ice/1 turret?

For a number of reasons. 1. It only really works when you have three black ice, otherwise you have no real second line of defence. 2. Whilst it works well against walls and protectors. You need a high sentry to make up for the lost of the second turret. 3. By the time it works really really well. I.e you have a high sentry and three blsck ice, chokes are not really a problem with shocker and protector. You move onto other issues like five code gates,

Don't get me wrong, I think it works. But people move away from worrying about chokes at the time it would get really good.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

Jaystar

Post by Jaystar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:38 pm

I use 2 gates and core on my choke....
Very effective
IGN: Emperor.Jaystar
[C12] [LV60]
Current Occupation: Terminated Account