Is this a good setup?

Best strategies of building your network
Kelik

Is this a good setup?

Post by Kelik » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:50 am

My core level is 4 so keep that in mind when suggesting tech. Obviously I'm upgrading nodes as possible. My only alternative in available nodes is to replace something with a second sentry. Not sure if my sentry does better connected where shown or to the turrets to give the choke point a little more strength. https://imgur.com/a/phpQr

Fluffington
Location: Join the Hackers discord https://discord.gg/qquYZ6H

Re: Is this a good setup?

Post by Fluffington » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:41 am

Kelik wrote:My core level is 4 so keep that in mind when suggesting tech. Obviously I'm upgrading nodes as possible. My only alternative in available nodes is to replace something with a second sentry. Not sure if my sentry does better connected where shown or to the turrets to give the choke point a little more strength. https://imgur.com/a/phpQr
Looks good.

I like the choke point with the scanner and the two turrets. But I would rather have the code gate in front of the scanner. So maybe switch the code gate and the evolver?

I don't quite like your back area though. Heres why:
  • Lack of choke points. More info here (I love my posts :D)
  • Once you capture the black ICE, your sentry is gone and the attacker has 5 attacking slots on the black ICE
Maybe try this setup instead?

So keep your front setup, I'm just doing the back part starting at your code gate

This setup has two additional choke points.
  • First, at the 1st b-coin mine. A sentry and black ICE is protecting a low firewall b-coin mine
  • Second, at the b-coin mixer. I used a mixer because it has 4 connection slots. Behind it is some tanky nodes such as the core and the database. You can switch the database and mixer around - depending on what you value more
Hope this helps!
Username: Fluffington
Level: 3 (25/6/17) Yes I restarted
Core: 2 (25/6/17)

Kelik

Post by Kelik » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 am

This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. I chose the scanner as the choke because of it's weak firewall and 4 connections allowing 2 turrets. The gate is after the sentry to allow Max exposure to the turrets (untested, if opponent uses single target viruses will they focus the gate or turrets? If turrets I may follow your advice for the front) your advice for the back holds merit, I'll try it.

Fluffington
Location: Join the Hackers discord https://discord.gg/qquYZ6H

Post by Fluffington » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 am

Kelik wrote:This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. I chose the scanner as the choke because of it's weak firewall and 4 connections allowing 2 turrets. The gate is after the sentry to allow Max exposure to the turrets (untested, if opponent uses single target viruses will they focus the gate or turrets? If turrets I may follow your advice for the front) your advice for the back holds merit, I'll try it.
Check the firewalls of the turrets and gate. Beams will always target the highest firewall node first.

Looks like you have a level 1 gate, level 2 turret, and level 3 turret. Beams will target
  • Level 3 turret first (370 firewall)
  • Level 2 turret second (335 firewall)
  • And level 1 code gate last (300 firewall)
Username: Fluffington
Level: 3 (25/6/17) Yes I restarted
Core: 2 (25/6/17)

Hackercritic

Post by Hackercritic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Fluffington wrote:
Kelik wrote:My core level is 4 so keep that in mind when suggesting tech. Obviously I'm upgrading nodes as possible. My only alternative in available nodes is to replace something with a second sentry. Not sure if my sentry does better connected where shown or to the turrets to give the choke point a little more strength. https://imgur.com/a/phpQr
Looks good.

I like the choke point with the scanner and the two turrets. But I would rather have the code gate in front of the scanner. So maybe switch the code gate and the evolver?

I don't quite like your back area though. Heres why:
  • Lack of choke points. More info here (I love my posts :D)
  • Once you capture the black ICE, your sentry is gone and the attacker has 5 attacking slots on the black ICE
Maybe try this setup instead?

So keep your front setup, I'm just doing the back part starting at your code gate

This setup has two additional choke points.
  • First, at the 1st b-coin mine. A sentry and black ICE is protecting a low firewall b-coin mine
  • Second, at the b-coin mixer. I used a mixer because it has 4 connection slots. Behind it is some tanky nodes such as the core and the database. You can switch the database and mixer around - depending on what you value more
Hope this helps!
Awesome back-end layout suggestion. Though i would use the gold farm as the final chokepoint rather than your b coin mixer. Surely you don't want to lose all your hard earned b-coins prematurely :D