Re: Network Build screenshots

Post by Dia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:01 pm

Level: 23
IGN: Dia

yoshik

Post by yoshik » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi mates,
i'm new to the game. Playing around 1 week.
So here i have an idea about an architecture.
What do you think about it?
Any comments are welcome.
Attachments
Architecture_Idea.jpg
Architecture_Idea.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

kingofsnipers

Post by kingofsnipers » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:08 pm

yoshik wrote:Hi mates,
Make scanner as choke point, not black ice. Other than that it looks cool to me considered available nodes. I personally would make my network like that if I were on that level. Just make that scanner choke point ;) gj I say
Level: 42
Rep: 350-450
I am noob, but tryhard :D

Fluffington
Location: Join the Hackers discord https://discord.gg/qquYZ6H

Post by Fluffington » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:17 pm

K-matsui23 wrote:Hi can anyone help me out, I'm really struggling on creating a good defense.. I seem to be easily hacked and it's really confusing me! I'm constantly changing my defense but I don't know if it's any better or worse.. Thank you so much guys :) sorry it's a small image, they've got a size limit :(
1. Weak choke
Your base lacks choke points in general.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=358 for a guide on choke points.

2. Weak to kraken
Self explanatory. Krakens will destroy everything in its path if its in the way of the core.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=380 for a guide on program counters (inc. kraken)

3. Network goes in loops
You have two netCons at the back and then a massive defence cluster. Why would you then decide to plonk a netconnection in the middle of that defence cluster. That will rip your network apart
Dia wrote:This any good?
Not too bad, I did see some mistakes though.

1. Weak to kraken
Kraken will absolutely melt this base.

2. Don't split code gates
The reason is, the attacker only needs to get through one code gate to get past. It's better to stack them right next to each other so that the attacker has to get through two code gates each time.

Ignore the numbers and 'v's. They were used for one of my guides, but here's what I mean by split code gates and stacked/linear code gates

Split

Stacked/linear

3. No choke
You don't have a strong choke. I suggest you buy a scanner and make that a choke. More information on chokes here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=358
Nice work on the diagram. I'm gonna borrow it for my explanation if you don't mind :)

1. Double sentry
Your two sentries are generally in the same place - in the defence group/cluster. Move one to the back to spread the antivirus faster.

2. Don't attach two nodes to one code gate
That gives the attacker twice as many attacking slots to get through your tough code gate

3. Don't use a black ICE as a choke point
Use it as a choke defence instead. Replace the choke point with a scanner instead.

Sorry for the lack of in depth explanation. I'm so damn tired right now. If you guys have any questions, I'll try get back to you tomorrow.

Hope that helps!
Username: Fluffington
Level: 3 (25/6/17) Yes I restarted
Core: 2 (25/6/17)

yoshik

Post by yoshik » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:28 pm

kingofsnipers wrote:
Make scanner as choke point, not black ice. Other than that it looks cool to me considered available nodes. I personally would make my network like that if I were on that level. Just make that scanner choke point ;) gj I say
Thank you for your thoughts.
So you mean better to switch Scanner and Black Ice?

yoshik

Post by yoshik » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Fluffington wrote:
K-matsui23 wrote:Hi can anyone help me out, I'm really struggling on creating a good defense.. I seem to be easily hacked and it's really confusing me! I'm constantly changing my defense but I don't know if it's any better or worse.. Thank you so much guys :) sorry it's a small image, they've got a size limit :(
1. Weak choke
Your base lacks choke points in general.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=358 for a guide on choke points.

2. Weak to kraken
Self explanatory. Krakens will destroy everything in its path if its in the way of the core.

3. Network goes in loops
You have two netCons at the back and then a massive defence cluster. Why would you then decide to plonk a netconnection in the middle of that defence cluster. That will rip your network apart

1. Weak to kraken

The reason is, the attacker only needs to get through one code gate to get past. It's better to stack them right next to each other so that the attacker has to get through two code gates each time.

Ignore the numbers and 'v's. They were used for one of my guides, but here's what I mean by split code gates and stacked/linear code gates

Split

Stacked/linear

3. No choke
You don't have a strong choke. I suggest you buy a scanner and make that a choke. More information on chokes here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=358
Nice work on the diagram. I'm gonna borrow it for my explanation if you don't mind :)

1. Double sentry
Your two sentries are generally in the same place - in the defence group/cluster. Move one to the back to spread the antivirus faster.

2. Don't attach two nodes to one code gate
That gives the attacker twice as many attacking slots to get through your tough code gate

3. Don't use a black ICE as a choke point
Use it as a choke defence instead. Replace the choke point with a scanner instead.

Sorry for the lack of in depth explanation. I'm so damn tired right now. If you guys have any questions, I'll try get back to you tomorrow.

Hope that helps!

You are very welcome to use the diagram for your explanations :)

I'll try to refine my architecture with using your comments.
If i get stuck i'll ask you for more details :)

Dia

Post by Dia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Fluffington wrote:

1. Weak to kraken

Split

Stacked/linear

3. No choke

Hope that helps!
Okay... reworked a couple things and it turned out like this
https://images-2.discordapp.net/.eJwdwk ... GKZDG-03U

GeneralSeay

Post by GeneralSeay » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Dia wrote:Okay... reworked a couple things and it turned out like this
A kraken would eat it's way right through your base and then feast on everything adjacent to your core. I'm pretty sure using protectors at those mines and the farm would mean I could maybe even ignore your defenses altogether if I was willing to forgo some of those resources. That means I could take 2 mines, a farm, your core, your mixer and your database with only 7 programs that total up to 40 disk space (4 krakens and 3 protectors 4x7+3x4=40).

Here's how I would conduct an attack on that base without even using a kraken:
I'd ram my way through your code gates, once I took that first mine I'd install an ice wall and 2 beam cannons on it because black ices aren't so tough when they're on their own. With those 5 slots I have to work with I'd probably lead with a shocker as well as an ice wall and/or a protector along with the beam cannons and maybe a blaster too just for good measure. After taking each of those turrets I'd drop an ice wall and 2 beam cannons and leave the fourth slot to the worms. While your turrets are distracted with the black ice my worms would push through that farm and second mine while hitting those 2 turrets from the rear. Your core would be annoying to take without a kraken because of its firewall and me only having a 3 slot node to work with but I'd likely suck it up and waste a blaster against it and if the turret connected to the mine isn't shooting antivirus packets I'd probably leave the other 2 slots to worms because I'm cheap. I'd either use an ice wall or a protector on your core and likely leave the rest to the worms but if I was running low on time I might use beam cannons or shurikens (I probably wouldn't have even brought any though, way too situational). I won't bother with explaining the rest of the mop up but this wouldn't be that tough to take out.

Never have lone black ices if you can avoid it! They have good damage output but it comes in slow chunks so they need to be in the thick of it constantly shooting to maximize their effectiveness. On top of that they make awful choke points because they have a large firewall and 5 program slots while only having 4 connections. Having one defending that first mine is particularly disastrous because it'd get taken out after firing ~3 times and would have shots on all 3 of your turrets. And the one behind your core, what's up with that one?

Another thing, I don't really know how to describe it but your base seems especially vulnerable to worms. I think it's because distracting your defensive nodes would be fairly easy and there's an indirect route to them that the worms can exploit. Which leads me into my next issue: there's a difference between choke points and what you have. Sure those 2 mines and that farm don't have a lot of program slots but they only have one security node defending each one and their firewalls aren't as low as you might think. If you want to defend your network using choke points which it looks like you intended, I recommend you use nodes better suited for it. Get at least one scanner and a guardian to be safe, they've got low firewalls (like half of what a farm or a mine would have) and they have more connections than they have program slots. Plus having a scanner would help against stealth attacks, something that you're vulnerable to at the moment.

Dia

Post by Dia » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:59 am

GeneralSeay wrote:
Dia wrote:Okay... reworked a couple things and it turned out like this
A kraken would eat it's way right through your base and then feast on everything adjacent to your core. I'm pretty sure using protectors at those mines and the farm would mean I could maybe even ignore your defenses altogether if I was willing to forgo some of those resources. That means I could take 2 mines, a farm, your core, your mixer and your database with only 7 programs that total up to 40 disk space (4 krakens and 3 protectors 4x7+3x4=40).

Here's how I would conduct an attack on that base without even using a kraken:
I'd ram my way through your code gates, once I took that first mine I'd install an ice wall and 2 beam cannons on it because black ices aren't so tough when they're on their own. With those 5 slots I have to work with I'd probably lead with a shocker as well as an ice wall and/or a protector along with the beam cannons and maybe a blaster too just for good measure. After taking each of those turrets I'd drop an ice wall and 2 beam cannons and leave the fourth slot to the worms. While your turrets are distracted with the black ice my worms would push through that farm and second mine while hitting those 2 turrets from the rear. Your core would be annoying to take without a kraken because of its firewall and me only having a 3 slot node to work with but I'd likely suck it up and waste a blaster against it and if the turret connected to the mine isn't shooting antivirus packets I'd probably leave the other 2 slots to worms because I'm cheap. I'd either use an ice wall or a protector on your core and likely leave the rest to the worms but if I was running low on time I might use beam cannons or shurikens (I probably wouldn't have even brought any though, way too situational). I won't bother with explaining the rest of the mop up but this wouldn't be that tough to take out.

Never have lone black ices if you can avoid it! They have good damage output but it comes in slow chunks so they need to be in the thick of it constantly shooting to maximize their effectiveness. On top of that they make awful choke points because they have a large firewall and 5 program slots while only having 4 connections. Having one defending that first mine is particularly disastrous because it'd get taken out after firing ~3 times and would have shots on all 3 of your turrets. And the one behind your core, what's up with that one?

Another thing, I don't really know how to describe it but your base seems especially vulnerable to worms. I think it's because distracting your defensive nodes would be fairly easy and there's an indirect route to them that the worms can exploit. Which leads me into my next issue: there's a difference between choke points and what you have. Sure those 2 mines and that farm don't have a lot of program slots but they only have one security node defending each one and their firewalls aren't as low as you might think. If you want to defend your network using choke points which it looks like you intended, I recommend you use nodes better suited for it. Get at least one scanner and a guardian to be safe, they've got low firewalls (like half of what a farm or a mine would have) and they have more connections than they have program slots. Plus having a scanner would help against stealth attacks, something that you're vulnerable to at the moment.
Ah... Okay, changed it a bit

Post by 1337 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:30 pm

This mah base. I'm level 14. (I don't see any krakens)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (216.99 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
Level: ??
Last update: 3/17/17