Construction network to counter protector and shocker?

Best strategies of building your network
Hell_Diguner

Re: Construction network to counter protector and shocker?

Postby Hell_Diguner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Code Gade, Sentry, Scanner... but you also need to redesign your network. Once that first chokepoint falls, capturing the rest of your network is trivial.

If you're pressed for time and want want immediate advice, visit the Discord server. It's more active than these forums. Otherwise scour the guides and the older posts. The advice you want has already been posted here.
Hell_Diguner - C12L39, Had C12L29 (world record), Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C12L38, Worms+Maniac main
CaptainDavyJones - C12L39, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main

e1a00000

Postby e1a00000 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:13 pm

PandaKing wrote:
e1a00000 wrote:Upgrade your codegate. Shocker is not counterable when paired with high shuri/beams.
You could try to max guardian and turret/black ice, the added tankiness is a good counter to shocker, and the damage breaks protector. Inefficient to say the least though.

Well I just got a 7 day shield, and I can upgrade my core along with 1 high level defense OR 2 lower level defense.
Which defense upgrade(s) would you say give the most value to my network?

Code gates, unless your sentry is not maxed for your current core

PandaKing

Postby PandaKing » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 pm

e1a00000 wrote:
PandaKing wrote:
e1a00000 wrote:Upgrade your codegate. Shocker is not counterable when paired with high shuri/beams.
You could try to max guardian and turret/black ice, the added tankiness is a good counter to shocker, and the damage breaks protector. Inefficient to say the least though.

Well I just got a 7 day shield, and I can upgrade my core along with 1 high level defense OR 2 lower level defense.
Which defense upgrade(s) would you say give the most value to my network?

Code gates, unless your sentry is not maxed for your current core
Hell_Diguner wrote:Code Gade, Sentry, Scanner... but you also need to redesign your network. Once that first chokepoint falls, capturing the rest of your network is trivial.

If you're pressed for time and want want immediate advice, visit the Discord server. It's more active than these forums. Otherwise scour the guides and the older posts. The advice you want has already been posted here.

Thanks to both of you!
So I guess I'll max sentry then upgrade code gate for now.

And yeah I'm thinking off reconstructing it after I get the two extra nodes with core 10.
I really want to make my evolver-core-gate choke stronger, maybe with guardian.

PerseVerAnce

Postby PerseVerAnce » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:53 am

PandaKing wrote:Image

You need more of what you have at the Core. Shockers and Protectors become less useful when it takes a very long time to get through things.
Level 61
Highest Rank Achieved: Elite
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/PerseVerAncee

PandaKing

Postby PandaKing » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:59 am

PerseVerAnce wrote:You need more of what you have at the Core. Shockers and Protectors become less useful when it takes a very long time to get through things.

Yeah I see what you're talking about.
But people still use shocker on my core-gate choke and then install a protector.
Granted it still wastes some time, but it's no more effective than my first choke at stopping hackers.
It seems like something is missing there.
Any tips on how I can further reinforce that core-gate choke?

e1a00000

Postby e1a00000 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 am

PerseVerAnce wrote:
PandaKing wrote:Image

You need more of what you have at the Core. Shockers and Protectors become less useful when it takes a very long time to get through things.

That is not qualified as a choke but rather a stall. Adding guardians to the core helps.
Your gate is still too underleveled to be reliable though

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 am

You're level 45, so you're approaching the zone where most people have strong enough programs to smash through any network if they really want to.

If you were a minmaxer, you would not have purchased/upgraded mines/farms at all, and you'd have certain nodes over-leveled to try and stop people who didn't adequately upgrade certain programs. Things like high level code gates to shut out anybody who didn't upgrade their rams, high level guardians to shut out anybody who didn't upgrade their blaster/kraken, lots of level 1 choke points (scanner, guardian, database, mixer) with attack priorities set so that anything other than shurikens needs strong/many shockers or protectors in order to break through the first node (usually a code gate, core, or node with guardian shields. Something with a high firewall). Level 21 sentry is a given for minmaxers - and acquired right around level 45. A high scanner and code gates at the front of the network keeps all but the most heavily upgraded stealth attacks at bay.

These tactics make their bases more difficult and more expensive to hack for their level, shutting out all the noobs and most of the people near or below their own level. They are not impregnable, though. As I said, this is the zone where the average hacker's program strength starts to exceed the even the better network's defensive strength. At level 50+, especially at the extremes of the reputation range, the search algorithm starts giving you a wider level range of targets, so you'll start being hit by people 10 levels above you. The metagame starts to revolve around the idea that you want to make your network not un-hackable, but unprofitable to defeat. The number of casual players and farmers rapidly dwindle and, for now, disappear around level 60. Only the wolves and the occasional person who is willing to purchase credits continue towards the triple digit levels. The wolves eat each other, and as you might imagine, you need to be cunning to survive.

Are you screwed? Yes and no. You have two high level farms, two high level mines, and your defense nodes are mediocre for your level. You are a farm in the eyes of the wolves. But the wolves can only climb so high before the majority of them starve to death. Their progress eventually slows down to the same progress as the farms and the casuals. Eventually, farmers and casuals will approach level 60, then 70, then 80, and so on.

The 'content' of this game is almost exclusively player-driven. The farmers and the casuals will steadily progress, so no matter how you slice it, everyone passionate about this game is either in it for the long haul, takes a break and waits for farmers and casuals to catch up, or quits.

So what you do from here is up to you. Some people start an alternate account and be a minmaxer. A smaller subset aim for the leaderboards. Others forge ahead with their farm account. If you choose to forge ahead, you should upgrade your defenses and learn more about how the minmaxers optimize their networks. Use that knowledge to build the strongest base you can. You will be hacked. Repeatedly. But maybe you don't want to create an alt account only to get stuck again in six months.
Hell_Diguner - C12L39, Had C12L29 (world record), Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C12L38, Worms+Maniac main
CaptainDavyJones - C12L39, Beams main, will eventually be Kraken main

PandaKing

Postby PandaKing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:06 am

Hell_Diguner wrote:You're level 45, so you're approaching the zone where most people have strong enough programs to smash through any network if they really want to.

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about a lot of what you said recently as well.
As of now I'll try to max my specialized defences.
I'm not really interested in minmaxing, that just feels cheap and desperate to me.

I'm mostly waiting on an update, they haven't been any update for 1 month, and no GOOD update since forever.
I really hope they're spending this time to make something great like a huge expansion (New programs, nodes, rewards, solutions)
I'll be extremely upset if they just add more languages, I get that they're trying to make it more accessible to a larger player base.
But there will be no player base without content.
Because right now the game doesn't feel worth my time for the effort to reward ratios, constantly getting farmed isn't fun.
Sadly it seems like the Devs rather reply to some silly comments than to address the it's progress on solving issues.
I've been waiting a long time for something good to keep working towards.
Generally disappointed at the state of the game.

Return to “NETWORK ARCHITECTURE”