Scanner Question

Best strategies of building your network
captainmarvel

Scanner Question

Postby captainmarvel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 pm

This is probably a newbie question ... despite being level 41 LOL

When an attacker is using stealth, do the defending Scanners only work one at a time?

I have THREE scanners in my entrance choke point. However, it appears that only the first scanner to detect is the only one that activates.

I read in depth the great write up on how scanners work. So, in theory, if I have 3 scanners, shouldn't my detection rate be 220% + 160% + 130% (respectively) to equal 510% on nodes that all three scanners are within range of?

Or am I totally off base here?

Thanks!

brzytki

Re: Scanner Question

Postby brzytki » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Only the multiplier from the highest lvl scanner in range applies to stealth programs, so it would be 220% in your case, if it covers the netCon, until they go beyond that scanner range, then the next highest lvl scanner kicks in if it's in range.

captainmarvel

Postby captainmarvel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

brzytki wrote:Only the multiplier from the highest lvl scanner in range applies to stealth programs, so it would be 220% in your case, if it covers the netCon, until they go beyond that scanner range, then the next highest lvl scanner kicks in if it's in range.

Thanks for the info!

So really the best defense is a high level scanner, not many scanners ...

PerseVerAnce

Postby PerseVerAnce » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 pm

captainmarvel wrote:
brzytki wrote:Only the multiplier from the highest lvl scanner in range applies to stealth programs, so it would be 220% in your case, if it covers the netCon, until they go beyond that scanner range, then the next highest lvl scanner kicks in if it's in range.

Thanks for the info!

So really the best defense is a high level scanner, not many scanners ...

Yeah, unless you're end game going against level 21 Stealth. I heard you'll need multiple scanners then.
Level 61
Highest Rank Achieved: Elite
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/PerseVerAncee

happy days

Postby happy days » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Best would be 2 lvl 14/16 scanners, not many have high stealth programs virtually none even at lvl 60 plus. Place one near the start cover the gates if u have them there and one further back to continue the detection, trust me it's the best set, no one will get in or if they do not far, besides the really high lvl stealth players. And another good tip is u don't need high lvl gates at start 8/10 or less is fine as the cost/load time and space will deter most of them using stealth programs. Works like a dream try it and let me know, don't think about end game that's a bit of wild talk or you'll be hacked with the one sooner or later this set will last u for ages and when u do upgrade further 1 will always be active otherwise u know what, portal straight to the back or even data L you which is great, I've had it done to me with really low lvl programs and players
U r going to love this

e1a00000

Postby e1a00000 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 pm

happy days wrote:Best would be 2 lvl 14/16 scanners, not many have high stealth programs virtually none even at lvl 60 plus. Place one near the start cover the gates if u have them there and one further back to continue the detection, trust me it's the best set, no one will get in or if they do not far, besides the really high lvl stealth players. And another good tip is u don't need high lvl gates at start 8/10 or less is fine as the cost/load time and space will deter most of them using stealth programs. Works like a dream try it and let me know, don't think about end game that's a bit of wild talk or you'll be hacked with the one sooner or later this set will last u for ages and when u do upgrade further 1 will always be active otherwise u know what, portal straight to the back or even data L you which is great, I've had it done to me with really low lvl programs and players
U r going to love this

Unless you have a cg in the back, 1 high scanner can deal with it. Scanner is too valuable of a choke to be leveled otherwise.

happy days

Postby happy days » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 pm

I disagree u can use a bit bank, let's wait a see

e1a00000

Postby e1a00000 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 pm

happy days wrote:I disagree u can use a bit bank, let's wait a see

They have more hp thus is worse.
Decent enough if you need additional chokes, but why level 2 scanners? You do get down time immunity but the level bump sucks.

happy days

Postby happy days » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 pm

I wouldnt use them as chokes, well maybe 1 if u have high lvl SY / turrets & B ice.

You do get down time immunity but the level bump sucks.

I don't get what u mean here.

I'll explain why 2 scanners when u reply, so I'm sure I understand exactly what u mean.

brzytki

Postby brzytki » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:34 am

I'm of the opinion that leveling two scanners is a waste. Maybe in late 50s it will change but so far (almost lvl 50) i have one high level scanner and it's sufficient. Until yesterday my setup was like this: netCon-gate-gate-choke-something and to wraith that something you'd need lvl 12 access and lvl 12 wraith (~4250 bitcoins worth) which not only is costly but is also rarely seen in late 40s. If i leveled up my scanner again, people would need even higher levels. And i don't even talk about portal cause portaling on a second node is a waste in 90% of cases. If i had two scanners but lower level people wouldn't need to have such high level stealth programs to succeed. Sure, they still would have a hard time to portal into my base but the simple thing is they could go deeper, for example if i had 3 gates chained at the front, they could wraith all 3 instead of only 2.

What e1 says is that by having two leveled scanners you aren't vulnerable to stealth when you are upgrading one of them (no one with 1/1/1 stealth programs can easily hack you) but because of the investment you've put into leveling your second scanner your level is considerably higher. For example, leveling a scanner from 1->14 means you've gained ~12,6k experience - that's around 1,25 of a level in the level range of 45-55.

Return to “NETWORK ARCHITECTURE”