Well, the game has become unprogressable now...

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Ego

Re: Well, the game has become unprogressable now...

Postby Ego » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:01 pm

TheLurkingRage wrote:
Ego wrote:
kyobinbou wrote:Copy network layouts - when you see a great network layout, copy it!

I agree with this 1000%!
I don't. I've never copied someone else's layout
Are you trying to say you didn't copy someone's network in it's entirety? I can believe that. Good for you. It might benefit some people. Certainly helped me.

TheLurkingRage wrote: You didn't learn from copying, you learned from analyzing.

I guess that's partly true. After using the network I had, I was able to see what I was doing wrong earlier on in the game. It was an incredibly useful tool. One that I am glad I used early on.

TheLurkingRage wrote:You don't need to and shouldn't copy someone else's network because it may not be suitable for you.

You don't need to but may, if you want, copy whatever you want in order to find what best suits you. Whatever you feel you need to do to learn and make the game more fun for YOU is ok. Anyone that tries to condemn you for playing your game your way should be ignored.

TheLurkingRage wrote:Analyze the network and study up on the nodes' stats to better understand what they're doing.

Only thing you said that I completely agree with.

TheLurkingRage wrote:There's players like crack, acidwar, B@t$, RickBobby, zeitweilig, that their entire hacking career have never improved because they believed they were doing things right. From what I read, there's a high chance this could be you too.

You realize this is a game right? I'll play the best I can as I'm sure players you mentioned are or have. If I get into late game and find I've messed up, I'll do my best to learn from that. My best is good enough for me and all that really matters. If you don't like your peers best, maybe try a more challenging game?
TheLurkingRage wrote: Indeed learning from players way better than you is good, but ironically you have to already be good enough to not need to learn from others to be able to differentiate between someone who is better than you and someone who's not.

You don't have to already be good to know if another player is better than you. That's ridiculous.
TheLurkingRage wrote:I just can't stand people that think they're good and are in denial of their real capabilities and since you have a name like that it either means you've actually become good enough to learn on your own or you're another scrub thinking he's good cuz he copied some other scrub ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the latter has always been the case before, but since I've been away for a long time I'm hopeful that's not the case.

I never claimed to be good. It's true that I do feel like I'm good enough to help new players. Why do I feel like you're calling me out? It's a game. You might just be a better player than me. According to the list of people that have hacked me, you wouldn't be the only one. I'm having fun playing the game and I like helping new players.

I don't want to impede on what looks like a mission to stop cheating. I think it's noble of you. You should recognize that mimicking players that are better than you can help you learn. Players copy what works well. They always have and they always will. You're trying to tell me you never once repositioned a single node based on what you've seen someone else do? If so, good for you. Maybe not everyone is as good as you. Maybe some people need help. I'm not sure how putting people down and calling them names is supposed help them, but to each his own.

Oh, and IF you are that much better than me, I will study why that is. IF I find you are doing something I can use, I will steal that from you and use it. Along with my own ideas and innovations, maybe that will help make me a better player. I'll have fun playing no matter what happens and I don't think I need your approval to play my game my way. Neither does anyone else.

Play YOUR game YOUR way. Most of all... HAVE FUN!!

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Ego wrote:Are you trying to say you didn't copy someone's network in it's entirety? I can believe that. Good for you. It might benefit some people. Certainly helped me.

After using the network I had, I was able to see what I was doing wrong earlier on in the game. It was an incredibly useful tool. One that I am glad I used early on.

Yup, that's what I'm saying. I never copied any part of anyone else's network. Of course eventually some parts may end up looking similar to other people's nets, but that's just the cause of following a meta wether by copying someone else like you did or doing the math to figure it out yourself. You didn't need to copy the networks to learn, you coulda just taken a screen shot of it and study it.

Ego wrote:Whatever you feel you need to do to learn and make the game more fun for YOU is ok. Anyone that tries to condemn you for playing your game your way should be ignored.

I'm helping players steer away from the rabbit hole that is playing "for fun" and the abundance of misinformation out there. Since the AI update, the game is far more forgiving now with no XP inflation from nodes when you delete them, but it's still a thing to be concerned about when it comes to programs. I've seen it over and over again, scrubs playing for fun trying to get better, but that's not how this game works. You either play to compete or you play for fun. You can't play for fun and expect to do well when competing, but you can have fun competing. Completely different mindsets. Plenty of players would ask for advice and blindly accept bad advice from terrible players because they didn't know any better and were playing the game for fun, then they'd quit some months later because "the game had become unprogressable" as is the topic of the OP. Never has there ever been a player that plays for fun that's trying to get better that actually got good and kept playing the game. That's not a thing, they all quit because they stop having fun soon after exploring all they were interested in. Playing to compete can be fun, and it's got far much more longevity than playing for fun. This is because there will always be some competition, but there's not a never ending amount of content which is why playing "for fun" is a shorter lifespan type of player. Not to mention if you play for fun you'll likely ignore good advice or be in denial because for you it doesn't matter as long as you're having fun. That's why it's such a bad mindset to have in this game. It lacks content, but it's still fun if you play to legitimately become the best, which is why I'm still in love with the game and players like the OP are not.
Ego wrote:
TheLurkingRage wrote:There's players like crack, acidwar, B@t$, RickBobby, zeitweilig, that their entire hacking career have never improved because they believed they were doing things right. From what I read, there's a high chance this could be you too.

You realize this is a game right? I'll play the best I can as I'm sure players you mentioned are or have. If I get into late game and find I've messed up, I'll do my best to learn from that. My best is good enough for me and all that really matters. If you don't like your peers best, maybe try a more challenging game?

I did. I've been playing Fortnite instead. Definitely more challenging than Hackers to become the best because its got a ton lot more players taking the game seriously, studying the mechanics and optimizing their play style to compete against good players. Something the majority of Hackers players don't bother on doing. I'm having fun playing Fortnite and I've gotten to the point where my performance is bottlenecked by the hardware and glitches in the game, not my skill. Other than that, definitely better than most players you'll find out there.

Hackers is just a game and life is just life. You can't live for fun because eventually you have to compete to some degree to survive like the rest of us. So unless you're spoonfed everything your entire life, you're gonna have to get a job, a place to live and compete in the game of life like everyone else, perhaps even have fun competing if you get a good job, live in a nice place, etc.

Ego wrote:
TheLurkingRage wrote: Indeed learning from players way better than you is good, but ironically you have to already be good enough to not need to learn from others to be able to differentiate between someone who is better than you and someone who's not.

You don't have to already be good to know if another player is better than you. That's ridiculous.
I really wish I could say it's a ridiculous premise, but it's all I've witnessed. Every player that was good enough to learn on their own were able to tell a better player and worse than them apart, and players that could not learn on their own could not tell properly. Bad players take advice from other players worse than them, essentially worsening their experience. Players who are good enough to learn on their own don't. I've seen it time and time again players with better Code Gate placement, node attack priority orders, choke points etc get misled to believe by worse players that what they're actually doing right is what they're doing wrong and so the cycle continues of bad, arrogant players spreading misinformation to other scrubs who can't tell good advice from bad apart. That's what I'm trying to stop.

Ego wrote:I'm having fun playing the game and I like helping new players.
That's a good gesture, and in no way am I trying to discourage you from having fun and helping those in need, as that's what I'm doing as well. I'm merely trying to prevent you from taking part in the misinformation cycle.

Ego wrote:Players copy what works well. They always have and they always will. You're trying to tell me you never once repositioned a single node based on what you've seen someone else do?

The closest thing I've ever done that's similar to doing that, is getting a better understanding of the Sentry by watching Lazorix. I didn't copy anything from him and it's not like he taught me anything, instead what happened is one of his videos brought my attention to the Sentry. I studied the node and kept improving. Also Yopee's style brought my attention to node attack priorities and I studied up on everything related to that topic, did some math and came to the conclusion Shurikens are overall better than the Beam Cannons, which I've dubbed the n00b Cannons ever since, cuz that's essentially what they are.

Back in my day we didn't have access to the complete info, stats, strategies or otherwise vast amounts of knowledge about the game as there is now. Minmaxed maelstrom smurf accounts and Guardian choke points were revolutionary and you were insane if you used Shurikens over Beams and Blasters to take down Code Gates. Back then we couldn't afford to make a single mistake if we wanted to compete or it meant either dealing with our mistakes like a scar on our network (as I did) or starting over again (as you and many others did). Because of this I had to do all my studying with limited amount of knowledge, mostly with info available in-game, and had to calculate estimates of the missing information to conclude with an educated guess, what is the optimal way to play the game, and I did a fine job at that. So no, I didn't copy anyone. I spent a good amount of time doing all sorts of calculations because this game is essentially just equations and I like the satisfaction of getting the right mathematical answer using the most efficient method.

Here's what my early progress looked like:
https://goo.gl/photos/EUcEcB4hu7yuZfvP7
https://youtu.be/yhoK4yLvsdE
https://youtu.be/I_o1TlsEH4A

Ego wrote:I'm not sure how putting people down and calling them names is supposed help them, but to each his own.
You talking about me using the word scrub to refer to bad players and call them out on the misinformation they're spreading? Call it a vendetta then, since scrubs are a big part of the issue with the gaming experience in this game.
They're the ones leaving bad reviews for the game and spreading misinformation to new/bad players.

Ego wrote:Oh, and IF you are that much better than me, I will study why that is. IF I find you are doing something I can use, I will steal that from you and use it. Along with my own ideas and innovations, maybe that will help make me a better player. I'll have fun playing no matter what happens and I don't think I need your approval to play my game my way. Neither does anyone else.

Yes plz. I don't want to be the only one who sees the game for what it is, just one big complex math problem. And of course no one needs anyone's approval to play the game, but like I've said countless times by now, I've got a thing against bad players ruining the experience and blaming the game for its lack of content instead of actually questioning their mindset and improve instead.

Ego wrote:Play YOUR game YOUR way. Most of all... HAVE FUN!!

Indeed. If you wanna play for fun you don't need to worry about getting better at the game. It'll take you longer to progress than someone playing to compete, but you eventually might get to experience all the content this game has to offer... Or you might not and end up quitting because you can't advance due to the huge disadvantage you put yourself into with that mindset... So you know, your choice how you spend your time.
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
Inactive
Discord: https://discord.me/TheLurkingRage
YouTube:https://youtube.com/TheLurkingRage

Ego

Postby Ego » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:51 pm

:shock: ok then.... well I play Hackers... Just for fun... and I don't put pressure on myself to play to "compete"... you see, I hope that everyone is having fun playing and if they aren't, because people don't play to their expectations or whatever the reason, I would hope that they forget about this game. Isn't there enough stressors in life already?

Play because it's pleasurable. Play because you enjoy it. This is a, not to be taken too seriously, video game. It's very existence is for entertainment. Do whatever you want to achieve the level success you desire. Steal ideas, listen to advice, read wiki, etc. Doesn't matter.

Whatever you do, do not be surprised when a game called Hackers attracts the kind of people that would exploit it! :lol:

---THE END---

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSION”