Some beginner questions / feeling stuck

Anything related to Hackers that doesn't fit in another forum
Kornflake

Some beginner questions / feeling stuck

Postby Kornflake » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:41 am

I am very new to the game, I've only been playing a few days. I've been reading the forums and the wiki to try to learn more about it and I seem to have picked up bits and pieces here and there but I'm still quite confused on some basic things...

1) I've seen advise to leave server farms & bitcoin mines at level 1. I'm assume this is to slow down how fast you level up so you get easier targets in the search? But of course it would mean you'd need to get all your resources from hacking other players which requires being pretty active. Is this still the recommend way to play?

2) Similarly, I've seen a lot of people talking about deliberately losing rep points to keep it low so that again, you're finding easier opponents in the world map. Is this just a tactic to use whilst you build up your base? It seems the only real point of the game long term (other than having fun of course!) is to climb the rep ranks?

3) Do the programs also increase your level? Because I've seen a lot of advise about not making everything - to use beam cannons or shurikens but not both, and similar for other programs. Is this also to keep level down?

At the moment I'm feeling a bit stuck because most of the advise I am reading is based on NOT doing things - not upgrading certain nodes, NOT developing and upgrading programs, NOT gaining reputation and all of this just seems counter-intuitive!!

Any advise much appreciated :-)

Luminaar

Re: Some beginner questions / feeling stuck

Postby Luminaar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Kornflake wrote:I am very new to the game, I've only been playing a few days. I've been reading the forums and the wiki to try to learn more about it and I seem to have picked up bits and pieces here and there but I'm still quite confused on some basic things...
Hey Kornflake,

Welcome to the Cyberwar! :D Thanks for checking out the forums and wiki in order to get the most out of your Hackers experience.

In general, the information you've found will - for the most part - lead you in the right direction. There has been some important changes to the game since the originally solid information was written, and some of the advice - while still important long term - is not necessarily the recommended way to play anymore.
Kornflake wrote:1) I've seen advise to leave server farms & bitcoin mines at level 1. I'm assume this is to slow down how fast you level up so you get easier targets in the search? But of course it would mean you'd need to get all your resources from hacking other players which requires being pretty active. Is this still the recommend way to play?
The advice to not level up your Server Farms and B-coin Mines is probably the least useful out of the points you've listed. As mentioned, while it's still an important factor when/if you're considering the final level of a "finished network" (for those players interested in crafting such a thing), it is now possible to delete certain nodes from your network, which wasn't possible when the majority of the "don't level your stuff" advice was most common.

Because of this, feel free to leveling up your resource generators is much less of a downside than it was previously. Not only will this level you gain resources during your inactive times (so you don't feel the pressure of *needing* to be active as you mentioned), it also helps bolster the economy as a whole, as well as provides you with additional retrace opportunities. Imagine if every single network had zero resource generation ... no one would want to hack and retraces wouldn't be a thing, because no one has any resources to loot!
Kornflake wrote:2) Similarly, I've seen a lot of people talking about deliberately losing rep points to keep it low so that again, you're finding easier opponents in the world map. Is this just a tactic to use whilst you build up your base? It seems the only real point of the game long term (other than having fun of course!) is to climb the rep ranks?
Keeping reputation low is indeed for finding easier opponents during the middle part of the game. Lower reputation will generally provide you with easier targets, which in turn require less program investment in order to hack successfully. While these lower rep targets do sometimes have more resources available, they're also attacked much more frequently, causing those networks to appear much less often. :) Networks are protected from attacks for 3 hours once receiving a defeat - something lower reputation networks suffer often.
Kornflake wrote:3) Do the programs also increase your level? Because I've seen a lot of advise about not making everything - to use beam cannons or shurikens but not both, and similar for other programs. Is this also to keep level down?
Programs do increase your level, albiet at a slower rate than node XP increases. This piece of advice is still relevant however, as program levels are not able to be reset.
Kornflake wrote:Any advise much appreciated :-)
In summary, having a good plan for your final program levels can have the biggest effect on your network level, as there's no takebacksies for program upgrades. Reputation and the majority of node levels are most inconsequential however, as the majority of nodes can be deleted and rebuilt, while reputation can be easily adjusted through normal play. Once you have your desired program levels in place, you're much more free to simply have fun and enjoy the hacking experience :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Kornflake

Postby Kornflake » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Thank you very much, very helpful reply!

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Kornflake wrote:At the moment I'm feeling a bit stuck because most of the advise I am reading is based on NOT doing things - not upgrading certain nodes, NOT developing and upgrading programs, NOT gaining reputation and all of this just seems counter-intuitive!!

The reason for the majority of advice being centered around avoiding mistakes is because there didn't used to be a way to take back the thing you did wrong and it would stay like a scar on your network. Now XP inflation is less of a concern with nodes, but still relevant with programs.

If you want to avoid XP inflation, here's more don'ts advice:
Don't evolve stealth.
Don't upgrade Beam Cannons (there's a reason I call them Noob Cannons).
Don't evolve the Maniac.
Don't upgrade the Data Leeches (it's still stealth but people forget about that since you can use it during brute force phase too).
Don't upgrade the Worms.
Don't evolve the Kraken.
Don't evolve Shocker (AI update added the program to this list)
Don't upgrade your ICE Walls past level 11
Don't upgrade any of the programs I said not to evolve, if you already evolved them.

Now here's a list of what to do:
Do max out the Protector
Do max out the Battering Ram
Do max out the Shurikens
Do max out the Core
Do max out the Compiler
Do max out the Evolver

If you aren't gonna follow this list to the T, you're going to gain unnecessary XP. The reason telling what to do is less popular advice, is because there's different ways to play the game, but they don't want you to suffer through the mistakes they did so they just tell you what to avoid doing instead. Of course tho, you can completely ignore all my advice and play as you please if you have no intention at all to compete for the leaderboards or progress faster.

Oh and to add to the advice, here's some misconceptions I'll clear up for you:
- The Sentry isn't the most important node to max out in a competitive network, the Scanner is.
- You need more than 1 maxed out Scanner and Sentry. The "don't level multiple Sentries or Scanners because their power doesn't stack" advice is only useful when pointlessly level capping your network for whatever reason.
- Battering Ram is better overall than all other programs at taking down a Code Gate. It's not the Blaster. The reason this is a misconception at all is because of the way they scale along Code Gates. At first it seems like the Blaster is the way to go, but then the Code Gate filter gets too high for the Blaster to be preferable to use over Battering Ram, it's just that most people saying that Blaster or Wraith are better options, haven't done the math to realize this.
- All Guardians on Core + Beetle isn't the tankiest node. It's Guardians on Code Gate + Beetle. Honestly if Kraken wasn't a thing, I wouldn't bother listing this one cuz they're both achieving the same goal.
- Minmaxing, level capping and using a maelstrom layout to compete for the leaderboards isn't viable due to the change made to the search engine. Instead, maxing out what I said and using a flat layout that focuses on stalling instead of program wasting like the maelstroms, is.
- You don't need a single security node on your network to compete for the leaderboards due to the online shield exploit. Judging from the leaderboards, it seems it's still an issue, so essentially you can just hack at any level and claim a place on the leaderboards essentially turning all other advice I posted here useless if you decide to cheat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Having a Code Gate in front of your first Scanner isn't the best way to combat stealth. It's instead having your first Code Gate after the first Scanner.
Really the only time you should have any Code Gates in front of the first Scanner is when you don't have a second Scanner, so in other words when you've fallen victim to the other misconception I stated above. OR when your second scanner is upgrading.

The last one there is a little more complicated to explain because it all revolves around math as that's the way to get the optimum network layout, but I think that I've given enough information for a starter to get a better idea of what to do and not to do than the average player, so I'll stop here and give more advice if you understand all this and want more. Totally not because my hand is starting to hurt from typing so much on my phone.
First hacker to reach 4k rep.

TheLurkingRage A.K.A Azussa, RepRipper and more
Level: 95
Top Rep: 4.9k
Current Rep: 2.3k
Player since: January 2017
YouTube:https://youtube.com/user/TheLurkingRage