Connecting Issues [IN PROGRESS]

Have an issue? Ask or report here
GoodZixt

Connecting Issues [IN PROGRESS]

Postby GoodZixt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm

After downloading the game for the first time on my new phone, my game wont load at all. The bar just stays white. Any way to fix this?

Luminaar

Re: Connecting Issues

Postby Luminaar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:46 pm

GoodZixt wrote:After downloading the game for the first time on my new phone, my game wont load at all. The bar just stays white. Any way to fix this?
Hey. Sorry to hear of your connection issue. :(

The constantly white loading bar is usually indicative of an authentication issue. (Connection issues tend to instantly display a "Try again" message, and data/corruption issues will get stuck while the loading bar gradually turns black.)

I understand that you're downloading the game for the first time on your new device, but do you already have a network connected to us? If so, it sounds like there may be an issue with validating your previous network using your new device.

This is not uncommon when switching from a device that has an older/custom OS (for example, connecting a network to us using Android 6/6.1, and trying to access it using a new Andoid 8 device,) and players have reported successes by signing out of their current Google Play Games account, clearing their Hackers data, and starting the game from a non-signed in account.

Please try signing out of your account before opening the game. If this enables the game to start, this points to account authentication being the issue. :) From here, please start a New Game and complete the tutorial until you get access to the World Map/Settings menu (your network will need to be level 2), and then connect to us using the "Connect" button in the Settings menu.

Let me know how you get on - as well as if this is not relevant to your situation - and we'll take it from there. :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

GoodZixt

Re: Connecting Issues [IN PROGRESS]

Postby GoodZixt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:06 pm

So, I have logged out of my google play account, and cleared both the cache and data from the game, but I still get the white loading bar, which then leads to the try again button. I am connected to Wi-Fi if that helps.

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm

GoodZixt wrote:So, I have logged out of my google play account, and cleared both the cache and data from the game, but I still get the white loading bar, which then leads to the try again button. I am connected to Wi-Fi if that helps.
Thanks for the extra details.

The subsequent "Try Again" button after the white loading bar (rather than staying white) happens when the connection request times out. As you've cleared your Hackers data already and are starting from a fresh install, we can potentially rule out "previous conflicting data" as a cause - although please see option 1 below. :) 3 situations that spring to mind when this happens:

1) Cache clear/fresh install, game still doesnt load correctly:
This one is the easiest to check, so I'll mention it first. :D

It's possible that a device may be restoring your old data - especially if you've also reinstalled Hackers after performing a cache clear - as detailed in the auto-backup information here.

Please review the backup and recovery settings on your device. If you find that Hackers backups exist, please remove any Hackers data that exists in both your Phone and App settings, and clear your cache again.

(Also related to this, players have reported that changing the save location of Hackers will also work, as this results in the "recovery location" not coinciding with the restore request. If you are able to, try selecting a different save location - SD Card/Device storage - to where you previously installed the game.)

2) Internet censorship/access from a specific location:
Some locations are not able to access the Hackers server due to their local Internet censorship laws. Access from affected countries will time out when the server is not able to send the required information to a device.

While not specific to Hackers, there's a list of potentially affected countries here.

3) Unable to connect via WiFi but can connect on mobile data
This is a known, albeit very rare issue, where players can connect using mobile data but not using WiFi. Current investigations show that there is potentially a problem somewhere between the game engine we use and the type of phone / modem that players have.

If you are able to, please see if you can connect via mobile data. If so, we'd be interested in your device specification details (such as make, model, OS version etc) in order for us to review this further. :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

GoodZixt

Postby GoodZixt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 pm

So here's where I'm at so far, I managed to get back to my old account on another device, successfully with no problems. And I went thru and looked at all the options you gave. I have no backups of the game on my device, and I previously installed on my phone's storage. I'm not sure if censorship would be in play, as I looked at the list of countries, and I'm not sure if america censors this. I also don't have data on my device, but if you want the phone's specs I can give those.

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:20 am

GoodZixt wrote:I have no backups of the game on my device, and I previously installed on my phone's storage. I'm not sure if censorship would be in play, as I looked at the list of countries, and I'm not sure if america censors this. I also don't have data on my device, but if you want the phone's specs I can give those.
No backups sounds perfect. :) The US is perfectly fine for receiving server info. There's also no need for the device details - see below!
GoodZixt wrote:So here's where I'm at so far, I managed to get back to my old account on another device, successfully with no problems.
That's great news, in the respect that your network itself looks to be in perfect condition. :)

The situation is looking very similar to one we resolved recently, so we'll try the same solution! As your network is loading fine on a different device, we need to find a way to get your device connecting to us. We could even redirect you to your network from any other network, as long as we can get the game up and running!

If you happen to have an old/previous Hackers network, please try logging in to that instead. If you don't have one, could you please log in to another friends/family's Google Play account - or create a new one if you don't have one you can use.

If this enables you to log in, that would be great! If you can , please create a new network, complete the tutorial, and connect it to us from the settings menu. From there, we'll redirect it to your previous network.

Let me know how things go. :)