Black ICE

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Luminaar

Black ICE

Postby Luminaar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Could someone offer a little advice on how better to use this node? I'm finding it an overpriced and underpowered choice in relation to the Turret at the moment, therefore I think I'm missing something! Thanks :)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Alpha-Killer

Re: Black ICE

Postby Alpha-Killer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:39 pm

The black ice is much more powerful than the turret, especially at higher levels, but it's attack is also much slower. It is useful when defending a node that has an ice-wall or protector. The black ice can break the shield, and then turrets can take back the node.I placed one black ice and two turrets to defend my scanner. The scanner has a low firewall, so it can easily be taken back if the ice wall program can't hold out long enough. Hence, the black ice breaks the ice wall program while the turrets prevent the hacker from moving past the scanner. At lower levels, black ice isn't as effective, but it's definitely worth upgrading.
Alpha-Killer
Level 40+ 8-)
Happy Hacking!

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:13 am

Cheers for the input Alpha. Black Ice does have marginally better DPS at the lowest levels, but the much slower attack speed negates this advantage. I notice you mention shields specifically - Does Black ICE actually have a bonus against shields? :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.

Alpha-Killer

Postby Alpha-Killer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:34 pm

No black ice doesn't have a bonus against shields, but it's higher DPS is more effective when faced with one. This DPS increases dramatically at higher levels.
Alpha-Killer
Level 40+ 8-)
Happy Hacking!

VLarian

Postby VLarian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:48 am

Lucky to have found this topic. Here I was thinking my black ice does nothing. I was wondering if I should even build a second one.

At what levels would you say the black ice starts becoming really effective?

Because currently, I would not want to connect it to more than 2 nodes. And definitely not to anything that provides a way point to the resource nodes. It's 5 virus slots makes it to dangerous to lose.

HCX - DReaD

Postby HCX - DReaD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:45 pm

VLarian wrote:Lucky to have found this topic. Here I was thinking my black ice does nothing. I was wondering if I should even build a second one.

Because currently, I would not want to connect it to more than 2 nodes. And definitely not to anything that provides a way point to the resource nodes. It's 5 virus slots makes it to dangerous to lose.

Put it at a dead-end, where it only connected to the node that it needs to protect. That way the 5 program slots hazard is gone.

90skushkid

Postby 90skushkid » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:48 am

HCX - DReaD wrote:
VLarian wrote:Lucky to have found this topic. Here I was thinking my black ice does nothing. I was wondering if I should even build a second one.

Put it at a dead-end, where it only connected to the node that it needs to protect. That way the 5 program slots hazard is gone.

^^^^^^^^ awesome input. I was thinkin to myself, like yo this 5 slots are kinda op lol.
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: