Code Gate

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Vyshnav Ramesh

Code Gate

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Is there an alternate way to break code gate other than battery ram?

Aladeen

Re: Code Gate

Postby Aladeen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Yes there is, i personally use Beam Cannon, i only use Battering Ram if i have to crack 2 nodes at the same time.
Aladeen,
beta hacker lvl 30+

Prochlub

Postby Prochlub » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Well, as Aladeen said, you can crack it by sheer force (applying enough damage to the node itself using regular programs such as Beam, Shuriken, Blaster, Worms...), or more directly using Battering Ram, Wraith or Portal.
Last edited by Prochlub on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Vyshnav Ramesh

Postby Vyshnav Ramesh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 am

Cannon n blaster? I have to chk thm.. tnx both of u fr d info..

samgyeop

Postby samgyeop » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:41 pm

I personally use 2 beam + blaster when taking out a Code Gate. But thats my opinion as it always works with plenty of time left to 100% hack against lvl 18-22s with 2 Code Gates.

accid

Postby accid » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:00 am

The app gives a brief description as to what the code gate does. However, it is a big vague. How is it used? What does it do and what is its best implementation? I don't see much on this forum about it.

Thanks,

Alpha-Killer

Postby Alpha-Killer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:59 am

accid wrote:The app gives a brief description as to what the code gate does. However, it is a big vague. How is it used? What does it do and what is its best implementation? I don't see much on this forum about it.

Thanks,

The code gate does two things:

1) It has a code strength. A hacker has to penetrate this entire "code" in order to take over node. Once it's taken over, the code breaks, and it becomes a regular node with a regular firewall. In other words, the code gate has a ridiculously high firewall. It's great at slowing down a hacker. It could make it difficult to take over a network in 3 min. However the battering ram program can break the "code."

2) It has a filter. This is only useful when a hacker uses stealth against you. It increases the time it takes to place the access and portal programs. The wraith program takes the same time (2 sec) to be placed on a code gate. I highly recommend placing a wraith, waiting two seconds, and then placing access when hacking in stealth with code gates as this fills the visibility bar less quickly. It may take 5 sec or more to place a single access program on a code gate without wraith. Code gates and scanners are your best defense against stealth.

I suggest placing your code gate near the start of your network. That way, it'll slow down a hacker right away giving your sentry enough time to spread antivirus. Also, it'll force anyone hacking in stealth to use up valuable visibility, meaning they won't be able to get very far into your network.

You could connect a netconnection right to your code gate, but what I found more effective is connecting your code gate to a low firewall node (i.e. evolver). Generally, the antivirus will spread to the code gate before a hacker can take over it (depends on network design), and as a result, the hacker has to protect the low firewall node with an ice wall.

Of course there are more strategies once you have multiple code gates, but this should be a good enough guide for beginners.
Alpha-Killer
Level 40+ 8-)
Happy Hacking!

Trickster
Site Admin

Postby Trickster » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:25 am

accid wrote:The app gives a brief description as to what the code gate does. However, it is a big vague. How is it used? What does it do and what is its best implementation? I don't see much on this forum about it.

There is a wiki too with lots of detailed information: http://hackersthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Code_Gate

Thanks Alpha-Killer for the extensive description.

Luminaar

Postby Luminaar » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:53 pm

I kind of winged the wiki information from personal experience, but I'm a low level n00b :P Could someone give the page a check for reliability? I wrote that all stealth programs, Wraith included, took extra time. If someone can confirm it's unaffected by the Gate filter, could they either change it or let me know? :)

EDIT: Wiki amended. Would still appreciate a looking over from someone with Stealth capabilities :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, and those that cant.