Kraken

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Fantöm

Kraken

Postby Fantöm » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:47 am

So first of all, I've never used it, but I know how it "sorta" works.

It's one of the most powerful, maybe the most powerful hack you can use at mid/high level. And probably one of the most common strategies.

40 damages per Kraken, and knowing that they will obviously add up in the end makes a very powerful 120 damages against one node. With that, you don't even need a Wraith or a Battering Ram because they are that strong.

Why, since they are 3 tentacles joining together, why dont they take 3 spaces? Because a hack that does 120 damages with only 1 space it really seems to me to be over powered.

If that's applied, then the fact that one only does as much damage as a Blaster (Blaster level 2 - 51 dmg | Kraken level 2 - 45 dmg), but it takes 2 seconds for a Blaster to be active and takes only 1 second for a Kraken to do so.

I don't think I'm the only one who has this opinion but I would like to get your point of view, Beta testers and devs.

Also, the only 'possible' way to prevent from a Kraken to get into your network is by putting the Core outside. I can't say much about that because I try to protect it as much as I can, but I still get wrecked pretty easily (I need to get the Replay feature to see where are the flaws). So yep if anyone records and finds my network, beat it with a Kraken strategy and send me the video!

Thanks
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

Kenny

Re: Kraken

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:41 am

hi.

krakens are very powerfull i know only one defense against krakens and its put core near net connection.

Here is video
https://youtu.be/hEG5q13iPkc

Prochlub

Postby Prochlub » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:16 am

Fantom: In your other posts you mentioned, that the biggest problems are with sentries so you try to disable them if possible. But I have not yet seen anyone trying to take advantage of them really. I mean, networks are so often structured libraries -> defense cluster -> resources, where these parts are as separated as possible. Why does no1 try to utilize the defensive power of every node? Sentry program is firing in all directions, so it does most damage in connected networks.

As of now, Kraken really is kinda strong, but I would wait with it's rebalance to the next update, when we can see replays and try multiple configurations based on if Kraken was the biggest problem there or something else.
I am very much looking forward to seeing if it would be possible to make more connected network, with multiple access points (meaning not all connections in 1 place), where Kraken cannot join together more tentacles in one.
The biggest/only problem with multiple accesses/more interconnected nodes for me is the rebalanced stealth, where you can get much further now than you could before, so in that topology you might be able to easily disable both/all sentries and it would render all the links useless :|

Maybe people would be more motivated to do something like that, if sentries would add up together? Probably not in a full strength, each node twice as strong as now might be too brutal, but it might fire 25% faster, not sure. Anyway, if the entry to every network would not look like a bunch of connections next to each other, Kraken wouldnt be half as strong as it is now.
Last edited by Prochlub on Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Fantöm

Postby Fantöm » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:39 am

Prochlub wrote:Fantom: In your other posts you mentioned, that the biggest problems are with sentries so you try to disable them if possible.

I didn't say they were the biggest problem, or I didn't mean to say so. I only meant that to prevent from "my" types of hacks (idk if other people use this strategy) I prefer to disable the Sentries with Wraith. So I don't use 5-13 Ice Walls to protect different nodes (look at the video above, the Sentries were doing a good job defending).

You are a Kraken user right? The only strategy to actually defend against that is, as said above, to build your network so that only your Core is left undefended. But it garanties a defeat everytime, against whatever strategy.

You're sure this hack will be rebalanced?

And with multiple access network, will you leave the Core undefended or not? I don't see how the network you would like to build won't allow Kraken's tentacles to join together?
Actually I only see one way : putting your Core in the center, linked to everything (kinda like Ladty's network (the lvl 40 one)) ; that would lead to the following problem : non-Kraken strategies would beat this kind of base easily!
And as you said stealth hacking would be easier (I'm not that sure of that. Let's say you have a network that looks like Core in the middle, and net connections not linked to each other. Well as long as the Sentries are far enough ( = close to the Core in this case) , it won't be easy to Stealth hack, since they aren't connected).
So far only Core level 8-9 would be able to pull off this kind of network (if not already done).
Away until (at least end June but maybe) mid July, so hack me :D and leave a message :)
EDIT : I am actually leaving this Beta, good luck for the devs and have fun hacking!

Prochlub

Postby Prochlub » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:47 am

non-Kraken strategies would beat this kind of base easily

Yep that's kinda the point I guess - you can make it almost useless (or at least not a favorable choice) quite easily, but than for example Shocker+Shuriken combos gain huge advantage and so on. Pick your poison kind of thing.

Yes I meant placing the Core pretty much to the middle -> if all Krakens join there from different directions, all paths to the Core are already taken so they gain nothing from joining since they have pretty much nothing else to attack.
Also it's important to keep in mind, that in beta there is very limited pool of players to attack, so you know these networks (tried to hack them before) and you know better how to prepare, that might make a difference after release when it will be quite unlikely to find the same target twice.
Prochlub,
The Node-Artist

Fast_Jimmy

Postby Fast_Jimmy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Out of curiosity (having not yet unlocked Kraken or had it used against me), does spreading out your Net Connections help as a strategy?

Putting the Core out front seems to be throwing the baby out with the bath water - what about setting up your defense so that the Kraken doesn't team up until pretty late on in the hack? It runs the risk of spreading your defense much thinner, but it also keeps from just being wrecked by anyone with a Kraken unlocked.
Fast_Jimmy Level 16
Reputation 250-300

Silken

Postby Silken » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:16 pm

Fast_Jimmy wrote:Out of curiosity (having not yet unlocked Kraken or had it used against me), does spreading out your Net Connections help as a strategy?

Putting the Core out front seems to be throwing the baby out with the bath water - what about setting up your defense so that the Kraken doesn't team up until pretty late on in the hack? It runs the risk of spreading your defence much thinner, but it also keeps from just being wrecked by anyone with a Kraken unlocked.

Not at a low level because we only have five defence (3 turrets and 2 Black Ice), so basically your defence is to thin. Another way is to spread connections between Code Gates, but then you leave yourself more open to stealth.

I'm level 25 and have not thought up a good way to defend against it. However, as you get higher Sentries and the anti virus becomes extremely powerful and I think you get more security nodes, so hopefully something will come to mind.
Silken
Level - 54
Reputation Status Update - Farming is Dead :o

Robecuba

Postby Robecuba » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:21 am

I know it seems weird, but if you don't care much about your reputation (you're going to lose every defense against any competent people with this(you'll also lose a bit of money but that's the least of your worries)), putting your core near or at the front of your defenses completely shuts down Kraken, as it stops spreading once it reaches the core.

90skushkid

Postby 90skushkid » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 am

just got my core to lvl 5, upgrading my evolver to lv 5 now, so I can unlock the kraken. all I need now is to stock up the 8k b coins to create the program.

now what are most peoples program usage.

I have 65 memory available to create programs, I normall run :

25 lvl 3 beams
6 lvl 2 shurikens
5 lvl 1 ice wall
3 lvl 1 blasters
1 lvl 1 leach
1 lvl 1 worm

now with the kraken getting into the mix soon. how would you think I should switch my normal set up? do krakens multiply like worms? or do I need at least 3 to start with? just want some more info on this op program called the kraken lmao :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
IGN - 90skushkid
Lvl 29
Core 7
REP 500-600
IP - south florida.

"Smoke That Kush!" "Smokin in my Wraith, Drinkin on some Worms"
:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Bumbledolt

Postby Bumbledolt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:50 pm

90skushkid wrote:just got my core to lvl 5, upgrading my evolver to lv 5 now, so I can unlock the kraken. all I need now is to stock up the 8k b coins to create the program.

now what are most peoples program usage.

I have 65 memory available to create programs, I normall run :

25 lvl 3 beams
6 lvl 2 shurikens
5 lvl 1 ice wall
3 lvl 1 blasters
1 lvl 1 leach
1 lvl 1 worm

now with the kraken getting into the mix soon. how would you think I should switch my normal set up? do krakens multiply like worms? or do I need at least 3 to start with? just want some more info on this op program called the kraken lmao :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

I have a 80 space disk so my usual program composition is
3 krakens
1 worm (lvl 3)
27 beam cannons(lvl 5)
1 battering ram
12 ice walls (lvl 4)
Keep this composition after upgrading program libarary and you will get almost every base (not including anti kraken one's)
If used correctly
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
IGN-Bumbledolt
Level 21
Farming 0-200