How to defeat certain defense strategies?

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Zerthimon

How to defeat certain defense strategies?

Postby Zerthimon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello. Id like us to discuss some strategies:
At the moment im stucked with L1 Scanner defended with 3 Turrets. Is there a way to defeat this? (not by bypassing it with stealth+portal)
I mean, this is game over for brute force attack, right?

Feel free to add some other tactics for other defences too

TheLurkingRage

Re: How to defeat certain defense strategies?

Postby TheLurkingRage » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 am

You just need to put down an ICE Wall and place some Shurikens to get through. If the ICE Wall breaks too fast, then you'll need to place down a Protector after you install an ICE Wall or more to secure the node and then use Shurikens to bring down the node. Alternatively you can use Shockers to disable the nodes and use all three slots for Shurikens, but that's a bit more advanced and unnecessary until much later in the game.
DEATH TO SMURFS! >:)

TheLurkingRage
Top Rank: #1 for nearly 2 months
Top Rep: 4.9k
Smurfed/minmaxed/exploited shield to reach top: Nope
Player since: Mid January
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLurkingRage

Zerthimon

Postby Zerthimon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm

With L1 scanner my double ice wall melt before i can mount protector. I usually use ice wall+protector for heavily defended nodes. So that is a no go

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:31 pm

You're going to have to level up your ICE Wall or use more to install the Protector. If the Protector isn't even half way installed and the first ICE Wall breaks, you're going to need more than 2.

TheLurkingRage

Gravemind

Postby Gravemind » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 am

Or you can consider using a single level 3 shocker and a protector. A level 3 shocker will guarantee that you install your protector irrespective of your opponents defence. But use this only if three ice walls don't work. Because it takes a lot of time to compile, and also uses six disk space.
Personally, I like a black ice with two turrets more than three turrets. And all the three protected by guardians.
Current reputation level : 0 - 500
Current experience level - 19
Favourite program - Data leech
Joined Hackers on - 28/10/2017

TheLurkingRage

Postby TheLurkingRage » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 am

Gravemind wrote:Or you can consider using a single level 3 shocker and a protector. A level 3 shocker will guarantee that you install your protector irrespective of your opponents defence. But use this only if three ice walls don't work. Because it takes a lot of time to compile, and also uses six disk space.
Personally, I like a black ice with two turrets more than three turrets. And all the three protected by guardians.

In most cases you shouldn't be planting down a Protector after using a Shocker. It's a waste of compile time to do that, it's better to use ICE Walls to install Protectors.

TheLurkingRage

Hell_Diguner

Postby Hell_Diguner » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 pm

To elaborate upon that, we know Ice Wall's effective health per bcoin (compile cost) scales quite poorly compared to Protectors and Shockers as all three programs are upgraded. Thus, in terms of minmaxing, keeping Walls at a low level is a good idea. Yopee figured out you can install a protector using only 3 ice walls (same library space, but faster compile time time than Shockers) of a certain, rather low level against lvl 21 antivirus. I forget exactly what level - it was real low, like lvl 3 or 4 Walls.

Late-game, you need both upgraded shockers and upgraded protectors to efficiently deal with chokes and stalls. You can do it inefficiently, of course, but that hurts your compile time, which is a big deal by that point in the game. So when both your Protector and Shocker are upgraded and expensive, being able to use 3 inexpensive, fast-to-compile Ice Walls to install a Prot is better than using a Shocker.
Hell_Diguner - C12L34, Had C12L29 (world record), soon to be a Shuriken main
DiaboliExMachina - C10L28, Maniac+Worms main
CaptainDavyJones - C9L21, Kraken main

Gravemind

Postby Gravemind » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Yeah, and that's why I told to use shocker only if three ice walls don't work. That's quite rare though.
Current reputation level : 0 - 500
Current experience level - 19
Favourite program - Data leech
Joined Hackers on - 28/10/2017

Darkness

Postby Darkness » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Zerthimon wrote:Hello. Id like us to discuss some strategies:
At the moment im stucked with L1 Scanner defended with 3 Turrets. Is there a way to defeat this? (not by bypassing it with stealth+portal)
I mean, this is game over for brute force attack, right?

Feel free to add some other tactics for other defences too

Shockers only effective if it's more than 4 seconds. Just keep provide walls to the Scanner 1 until the Protector is finished. It's so important that your Protector lv should be high enough to absorb all the damage from Turrets and the anti-virus.

Method 1: (for 40 lv+)
Wall --> 1 Shocker (7 lv would be better), put Protector , Delete wall, put beams.

Method 2:
Keep putting walls, until Protector is finished. (Well, you probably will know how many Walls are needed for the Protector to operate)

Also, putting a Blaster with Protector is efficient to stop one side of the damage output.
In game name : Darkness
Level : 36

Join us at Discord@Hackersmobile
https://discord.me/hackersmobile