Sentry

Various ways of using programs during hacks
Pnub_utter

Sentry

Postby Pnub_utter » Fri May 13, 2016 10:19 pm

Does Have more then sentry increase antivirus damage or just help spread fast?

Atm I only use one in middle of network because don't see need to waste node spot unless it will increase defense damage.

Gream

Re: Sentry

Postby Gream » Sun May 15, 2016 9:56 pm

In my experience - NO.

There can be only one antivirus install on any node. Put two Sentries side-by-side doesn't have much sense. Later, on larger network, it may be useful to put one Sentry at "beginning" and second in the middle of network.
Gream,
hacker lvl 77+

xGaryG

Postby xGaryG » Mon May 16, 2016 2:55 pm

I have two 'Legs' with two connections starting each. I have a sentry in each Leg as they are not connected except where they connect toward the hub. All connections are used up in each node, except my Sentrys. If I connect the two sentries, will the one protect the other when someone tries to hack it?

Gream

Postby Gream » Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 pm

xGaryG wrote:I have two 'Legs' with two connections starting each. I have a sentry in each Leg as they are not connected except where they connect toward the hub. All connections are used up in each node, except my Sentrys. If I connect the two sentries, will the one protect the other when someone tries to hack it?

Asuming that both Sentries are at the same level (otherwise it is more complicated), following is true:

Short answer - NO, the defense strenght will be the same, either you connect one Sentry to other Sentry or to other node of any type.

Longer answer - no, because:
Sentry spreads its antivirus to all nodes (except the nodes currently under construction/upgrade) - including itselft. On the other hand - any node, that has antivirus already installed is spreading it further and - when enemy is nearby - is participating on defense.

So, when attacker hacks one of yours Sentries (or any other node, there is no difference), all its neighbor nodes with already installed antivirus will start to "shoot" back at this infected node. What is important - it doesn't matter, what type of nodes these neighbors are - all node types (including Sentry) is using the same antivirus. The defense 'shots' will be of same strenght either the infected node will be surrounded by five Server Farms, five Code Gates or five Sentries.... (Of course, using five CodeGate will be much better in term of overal defense, but the antivirus strength will be the same)

BTW: screenshot can easily "describe" your network, even better than text ;-)
Gream,
hacker lvl 77+

Trickster
Site Admin

Postby Trickster » Fri May 20, 2016 9:07 pm

I wrote about it on wiki: http://hackersthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Sentry

Now it should be clear how it works.

(I am not english native speaker though, so the language may need some tweaking.)

Mastermime

Postby Mastermime » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:19 pm